April 25, 2024, 05:46:00 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Server maintainance on August 9-10  (Read 9568 times)

MedO

• Owns this place
Server maintainance on August 9-10
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:44:09 pm »

Our hoster is informing about a downtime again, and this time it will be rather lengthy:
Sehr geehrte Kundin, sehr geehrter Kunde,

in der Zeit vom 09.08.2011, 23:00 Uhr bis 10.08.2011, 06:00 Uhr müssen wir Wartungsarbeiten an der Infrastruktur eines unserer Rechenzentren durchführen. Dabei finden Arbeiten an der Niederspannungshauptverteilung (NSHV) statt, weshalb wir Teile unserer Infrastruktur aus Sicherheitsgründen zum Schutz der Techniker vollständig herunterfahren werden.
[...]
Wir rechnen mit einer Nicht-Erreichbarkeit Ihrer Systeme von mindestens 4 Stunden innerhalb des Wartungsfensters. Die Systeme werden zu Beginn des Wartungsfensters vollständig heruntergefahren, und nach Abschluss der Wartungsarbeiten wieder gestartet.

Bitte entschuldigen Sie die Notwendigkeit der Wartung, die zur Aufrechterhaltung der Betriebssicherheit erforderlich ist.

Wir bitten um Ihr Verständnis.

Dear Sir or Madam,

maintenance work is scheduled between 09/August/2011 11:00 PM and 10/August/2011 06:00 AM for the infrastructure of one of our data centers. We will be working on the low-voltage main distribution, which will require the shutdown of parts of the infrastructure to protect the technicians involved.
[...]
We expect a downtime of at least 4 hours within the given time frame. All systems will be shutdown at the beginning of the maintenance window and restarted afterwards.

We want to apologize for any inconvenience caused by the maintenance, which is necessary to ensure the operational reliability.

Thank you for your understanding.

Times are CET. During the downtime, the website, forums, lobby and TF2 server will be unavailable (as will relay 6 of SceneSat Radio - but I doubt you even knew about that). We might be able to run a "fallback" lobby server, which would require a small GG2 update before then.
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

I_am_awesome

Re: Server maintainance on August 9-10
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:46:45 pm »

I don't mind, that's when I sleep.

Dusty

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Dust in a box under a table
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 06:13:38 pm »

What are we going to do during that timeframe?

]LNW[Twitcher/RA/

• Disc Jockey Pride
  • Has the touch; the power
  • Snake Plissken 2016
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 06:15:04 pm »

What are we going to do during that timeframe?
The same thing we do every night, Dragon.
Try to take over the world!

Dusty

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Dust in a box under a table
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:53:10 pm »

They're Dragon, Dragon and the Twi-ich-er. Narph!

SCBG

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:46:52 pm »

which would require a small GG2 update
NO. NO NO NO NO NO. NNNNNNNNNNNNO.

]LNW[Twitcher/RA/

• Disc Jockey Pride
  • Has the touch; the power
  • Snake Plissken 2016
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:53:17 pm »

They're Dragon, Dragon and the Twi-ich-er. Narph!
Oh, Dragon, you're such a good sport.

Psychopath

• Developer In Training
  • Stop telling me to do things
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 01:26:15 am »

which would require a small GG2 update
NO. NO NO NO NO NO. NNNNNNNNNNNNO.
Considering how every single change is documented, line-by-line. It'll be piss-easy to port over any mods since the changes that he is alluding to are isolated to a small number of the gameserver scripts and the lobby object.
Quote from: IRC
(8:01:46 PM) Psychopath: I'm just wondering what the next hot thing to fall on my lap will be
(8:01:57 PM) Lynn1: a girl maybe?
(8:02:01 PM) Psychopath: :o

SCBG

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 01:33:10 am »

What's the point in having people porting over mods just so that little Billy Mathison can play GG2 within that 4 hour timeframe, he can go ride a fucking bike or some shit, which is something that I'll rather be doing than porting over even my simple-ass mod

Psychopath

• Developer In Training
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:36:00 am »

Our host schedules downtimes for maintenance. We have to deal with it. We are planning on having a backup so dealing with it in the future is less of a hassle. It may seem annoying to you in the short term, but that's only because you're looking at one isolated downtime instead of the potential downtimes that we may have in the future.

If it takes you 4 hours to port over what could amount to all of 10 lines of code, I feel sad for you.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:36:48 am by Psychopath »
(8:01:46 PM) Psychopath: I'm just wondering what the next hot thing to fall on my lap will be

SCBG

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 01:41:12 am »

Well if that's the case, fine. I dunno how this shit works, but as long as there's no necessity for mini-updates every time the host undergoes maintenance, I'm fine with it for now.

Also I never said it would take me 4 hours to port, I'm saying it's better for Pubfag McFinnigan to deal with not being able to play GG2 than for all the mods to go obsolete. Unless something's changed from 2.1.3 to 2.3.

Psychopath

• Developer In Training
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 01:44:18 am »

Compatibility wouldn't change at all, actually.

The clients and servers would only default to a different lobby server if the main one were to go down. Unupdated servers wouldn't show up in the backup lobby, unupdated clients could not be able to see the backup lobby. They can still connect to servers manually, though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:44:42 am by Psychopath »

SCBG

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 01:47:19 am »

I get what you're saying, don't see what you're getting at :drool:

Psychopath

• Developer In Training
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 01:51:39 am »

I'm saying that you technically don't even need to port your mod over because compatibility won't be an issue (although you might want to update the version number or you'll be prompted to update every single time you start up the mod). :drool:

SCBG

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 01:53:13 am »

I'm saying that you technically don't even need to port your mod over because compatibility won't be an issue (although you might want to update the version number or you'll be prompted to update every single time you start up the mod). :drool:
In that case, disregard everything I've said because I'm a retard pile of shit who doesn't know anything about anything
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 35 queries.