March 29, 2024, 04:44:18 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Server maintainance on August 9-10  (Read 8998 times)

Derpduck

• 2011 Haxxy Finalist
Re: Server maintainance on August 9-10
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 04:04:53 am »

So is it possible to host and have someone manually joi n thw server like when the lobby was broke or is this all nultiplayer functionality broke, anyway you can download OHU and play against bots

Orpheon

• 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Developer
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 04:13:13 am »

So is it possible to host and have someone manually joi n thw server like when the lobby was broke or is this all nultiplayer functionality broke, anyway you can download OHU and play against bots
Only the lobby is down.

You can host and give people your ip, and they'll be able to join.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 11:39:28 am »

Oh my, all the rage and just because you're guessing what I plan to do and that it will be a huge problem.

The update I'm talking about would change the LOBBY_SERVER_HOST constant and the version number (so it shows up in the auto updater), nothing else. I want to switch it back to a dyndns hostname so we can point it to a different server when the VS is down.
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Derpduck

• 2011 Haxxy Finalist
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 01:33:42 pm »

Seems pointless when there are bots and its only 4 hours, some players will be asleep then (in a difdrent time zone)

Psychopath

• Developer In Training
  • Stop telling me to do things
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 02:12:09 pm »

Seems pointless when there are bots and its only 4 hours, some players will be asleep then (in a difdrent time zone)
Bots are not widespread, they are isolated among a few users. Regular players who don't frequently visit the forums have no idea of this incoming downtime.
Quote from: IRC
(8:01:46 PM) Psychopath: I'm just wondering what the next hot thing to fall on my lap will be
(8:01:57 PM) Lynn1: a girl maybe?
(8:02:01 PM) Psychopath: :o

muse

• Veteran Beta Tester
  • ah ah ah
    • Steam
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 03:26:00 pm »

Bots are not widespread, they are isolated among a few users. Regular players who don't frequently visit the forums have no idea of this incoming downtime.
Then maybe we should have MedO's minor update come along with a function that shows an announcement regarding this lobby downtime upon launching the game?
It could also have a hyperlink leading to this thread, maybe.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 03:51:36 pm »

Then maybe we should have MedO's minor update come along with a function that shows an announcement regarding this lobby downtime upon launching the game?
So we make an update that will allow the lobby to keep working, and in this update we inform people that the lobby won't work? Genius!
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Jowly

• Veteran Beta Tester
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:18 pm »

So we make an update that will allow the lobby to keep working, and in this update we inform people that the lobby won't work? Genius!
I'm sorry, I can't read sarcasm properly through the internetz.

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 12:57:09 am »

Any mods made during this time will be backwards compatible anyways, you would just have to join manually, or just wait out a single day

actually an interesting thing to think about: if the server is down the gg2 updater will not be able to update anyways, so anyone attempting to play a few hours after the lobby shuts down, then they won't be able to update at all, though we do have a functional irc channel which can distribute Mediafire links.

Anyways, to be honest it may not be ideal to replace the whole exe for minor updates such as this one which changes what is theoretically dynamic data (though the ip in practicality is stayed constant through due to the dns service)

Do you think that we should in future updates base some data off of a Text file with some minor Constant data that can be easily updated to not interfere mods? Though this really would be the only situation where you'd want to do that, and the fact that setting it to a redirection system actually suffices, other data which doesn't necessarily often change such as sprites and sound effects can remain external to the updater, thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:59:43 am by NAGN »

Jowly

• Veteran Beta Tester
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 01:46:19 am »

Any mods made during this time will be backwards compatible anyways, you would just have to join manually, or just wait out a single day

actually an interesting thing to think about: if the server is down the gg2 updater will not be able to update anyways, so anyone attempting to play a few hours after the lobby shuts down, then they won't be able to update at all, though we do have a functional irc channel which can distribute Mediafire links.

Anyways, to be honest it may not be ideal to replace the whole exe for minor updates such as this one which changes what is theoretically dynamic data (though the ip in practicality is stayed constant through due to the dns service)

Do you think that we should in future updates base some data off of a Text file with some minor Constant data that can be easily updated to not interfere mods? Though this really would be the only situation where you'd want to do that, and the fact that setting it to a redirection system actually suffices, other data which doesn't necessarily often change such as sprites and sound effects can remain external to the updater, thoughts?
Requesting laymans' terms to satisfy our 12 year olds.

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 02:02:13 am »

Probably could have posted that in somehwere else, either way now that I think of it, it might be needlessly making the game source more complex

i dunno, it's late. Going to bed

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 04:16:30 am »

Requesting laymans' terms to satisfy our 12 year olds.
Make a text file with some options in it that the gg2updater can change without interfering with mods.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 06:28:06 am »

Wait.

Will the IRC tab be open?

Because almost everyone uses it to chat, so if that dies too we can't use it as an information source.

trog

• member of intel's squad of garbagemen against the yakuza
  • Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 06:47:34 am »

The IRC server is owned by someone else, it's not part of gg2.

PM me your apps for my clan

92% of people who see this will not
have the guts to repost it. When Goku
died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 06:48:09 am »

The IRC server is owned by someone else, it's not part of gg2.
The server yes. The online-client no.

Am I right?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 35 queries.