April 25, 2024, 08:34:08 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Gang Garrison 2.2.4  (Read 17816 times)

MedO

• Owns this place
Gang Garrison 2.2.4
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:35:47 am »

Not much to say here. This verison removes the Christmas hats again and adds some bugfixes:
- Fix for custom map loading (by NAGN)
- Fixed a server crash that can happen when players disconnect instantly after joining (by Vindicator)
- Fixed protocol compatibility with the xmas version (because I borked that up for xmas players joining non-xmas servers)

Have a productive and serious time with it.  :hehe:
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

RightBehindYou

Re: Gang Garrison 2.2.4
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:53:44 am »

This verison removes the Christmas hats again
:cry:

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:58:50 am »

:D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Psychopath

• Developer In Training
  • Stop telling me to do things
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:32:09 am »

I thought that the xmas event would be left in the game but constrained to a certain timeframe like the april fool's and birthday garrison events were :drool:

Then again, the additional data being sent back and forth between the server and clients probably had something to do with that.
Quote from: IRC
(8:01:46 PM) Psychopath: I'm just wondering what the next hot thing to fall on my lap will be
(8:01:57 PM) Lynn1: a girl maybe?
(8:02:01 PM) Psychopath: :o

RocketJumpFreak35

• Spy is trollin' mah sentry
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 03:22:58 pm »

You should keep the hats, but instead of Christmas hats, hats parodying TF2 hats that can be obtained by doing something hidden (like doing a taunt while someone sees you though the Kill Cam, or performing the Konami code).

Meower

• Elder God tier or Fagthulu, the great
  • Community Manager
  • Went fat once, never went back
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:24:49 pm »

I borked this forums too

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 04:00:43 pm »

I didn't want to keep the sprite swapping code because it's messy and unefficient. For every character instance, in every step, it checks which hat the player has and adds a suffix to the original sprite name depending on that.

Given the chance, I always prefer throwing things out. Less code, fewer bugs :hehe:. And it's not as if those changes are lost. They are in their own branch of the project, and could be ported to any future version if needed.
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Psychopath

• Developer In Training
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 04:05:44 pm »

I didn't want to keep the sprite swapping code because it's messy and unefficient. For every character instance, in every step, it checks which hat the player has and adds a suffix to the original sprite name depending on that.

Given the chance, I always prefer throwing things out. Less code, fewer bugs :hehe:. And it's not as if those changes are lost. They are in their own branch of the project, and could be ported to any future version if needed.
I saw that and smacked my head for not thinking of that sooner.

But I had an idea to keep those changes but only if a special entity is placed in the map anywhere (kinda like the object in Hammer that enables Medieval Mode when placed in a map). The reason why I say only if there's that special entity is so that the clients and server are all on the same page with how much data they should be sending/receiving.

Just an idea for a down-the-line add-on, but could prove interesting :v
(8:01:46 PM) Psychopath: I'm just wondering what the next hot thing to fall on my lap will be

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 05:23:15 pm »

bawww I wanted to mod my server to give everyone hats :<

but that would ruin the purpose I guess (and alot of people don't like them)

ExplodingWaffles

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 05:52:36 pm »

bawww I wanted to mod my server to give everyone hats :<

but that would ruin the purpose I guess (and alot of people don't like them)
I fu**ing love your server!! BTW

Agh

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
    • My maps
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 06:08:52 pm »

Yay for the custom map fix.

NAGN

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 06:57:06 pm »

err I do belive this runs on the same code I gave to vindi

it fixes some isseus, but doesn't comepletely keep the game from crashing 100%

I still can't figure out what could be wrong

trog

• member of intel's squad of garbagemen against the yakuza
  • Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 03:15:57 pm »

I saw that and smacked my head for not thinking of that sooner.

But I had an idea to keep those changes but only if a special entity is placed in the map anywhere (kinda like the object in Hammer that enables Medieval Mode when placed in a map). The reason why I say only if there's that special entity is so that the clients and server are all on the same page with how much data they should be sending/receiving.

Just an idea for a down-the-line add-on, but could prove interesting :v
snow maps giving people hats?

Sounds pretty cool.

PM me your apps for my clan

92% of people who see this will not
have the guts to repost it. When Goku
died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.

NAGN

• Developer
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 04:52:52 pm »

actually it would've been even easier

just update the clients if you're on a specific map, the clients don't even need anything special

Psychopath

• Developer In Training
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »

actually it would've been even easier

just update the clients if you're on a specific map, the clients don't even need anything special
Yeah, but then the competitiveness over the hats does not carry over if EVERYONE gets the hat for free thanks to it remaining solely client-sided.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 35 queries.