April 25, 2024, 10:59:47 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Gang Garrison 2.6.2  (Read 14307 times)

ajf

• (Ex-?)Developer and forum/web admin
  • she's never quite as dead as you think
Re: Gang Garrison 2.6.2
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 04:29:43 pm »

Well, let's end the fun and get out a proper bugfix now. Bodyblocking as a feature can be considered of course, but I don't think we'll iterate that idea in public releases. Plugins are probably the best place for it right now. In the meantime, we'll get back to a vanially GG2 without bodyblocking.

So how did this even get back in? It's a fun little mistake that I actually already explained above, but I don't think anyone in their right minds could have understood what I posted there. So here it is in plain english (I hope).
Obviously we wanted to revert the collision system changes that we introduced in 2.6.0. To do that, I basically told git (the tool that keeps track of all our work) to undo everything wareya has worked on when he was writing the collision system changes.
However, wareya started on those changes in Version 2.5, which still had the bodyblocking, and he removed the bodyblocking when writing the collision system. Meanwhile, we *independendly* removed bodyblocking for our next release. When we merged wareya's work into our main development branch, git saw that the same change had happened on both sides and everything was fine. However, when I told git to revert wareya's changes, it also added bodyblocking again, because wareya had removed that.
The correct thing to do was to tell git to revert the merge itself. That way, it can notice that bodyblocking wasn't actually removed by adding wareya's stuff, because it had already been removed before.

I hope that was mildly interesting to you. See you after the 2.6.3 release. :)
I hate how you completely ignored any support for bodyblocking remaining as a feature :cry:

Medo42 worst dictator :z3: :z3:
did you know that spinning stars work like this???

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. execute_strings on fire off the shoulder of Overmars. I watched object-beams glitter in the dark near the room_goto_fix. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 04:34:44 pm »

>support
>3 people who like dumb spy gimmicks
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Orpheon

• 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Developer
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 04:35:08 pm »

Well, let's end the fun and get out a proper bugfix now. Bodyblocking as a feature can be considered of course, but I don't think we'll iterate that idea in public releases. Plugins are probably the best place for it right now. In the meantime, we'll get back to a vanially GG2 without bodyblocking.

So how did this even get back in? It's a fun little mistake that I actually already explained above, but I don't think anyone in their right minds could have understood what I posted there. So here it is in plain english (I hope).
Obviously we wanted to revert the collision system changes that we introduced in 2.6.0. To do that, I basically told git (the tool that keeps track of all our work) to undo everything wareya has worked on when he was writing the collision system changes.
However, wareya started on those changes in Version 2.5, which still had the bodyblocking, and he removed the bodyblocking when writing the collision system. Meanwhile, we *independendly* removed bodyblocking for our next release. When we merged wareya's work into our main development branch, git saw that the same change had happened on both sides and everything was fine. However, when I told git to revert wareya's changes, it also added bodyblocking again, because wareya had removed that.
The correct thing to do was to tell git to revert the merge itself. That way, it can notice that bodyblocking wasn't actually removed by adding wareya's stuff, because it had already been removed before.

I hate how you completely ignored any support for bodyblocking remaining as a feature :cry:

Dictator implies he is alone. He isn't.

ajf

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 04:37:02 pm »

Dictator implies he is alone. He isn't.
All dictators have a small segment of the population who support them due to brainwashing and misguided trust.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. execute_strings on fire off the shoulder of Overmars. I watched object-beams glitter in the dark near the room_goto_fix. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 04:39:05 pm »

>small section of the population

>ajf
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Trueblade

• Veteran Beta Tester
  • Ike is my spirit animal
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 04:42:40 pm »

>support
>3 people who like dumb spy gimmicks
but dumb spy gimmicks are fun   

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 04:50:35 pm »

did anyone stop to think it nerfs the cloaked spy's ability to shadow an opponent by passing in and out of the opponents sprite in order to disorient and pick off with the revolver

fuck that shit homie
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Catman

• The Argumental
  • Veteran Member
  • Take on me
    • Yuki Yuki Yuki
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 04:52:47 pm »

I'd never get used to body blocking.
My style is the best...
...so I challenge you!

ajf

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 04:55:23 pm »

...were you even around for that period
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Teekytots [PC][OG]

• Retired Big Man
  • Soldier of Fortune
  • Fear is only a State of Mind
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 05:01:44 pm »

Body blocking encourages bad players to stab aimlessly as spy

so lower amount of skill/timing/luck to get a stab with body blocking
I have signatures turned off

Catman

• The Argumental
  • Veteran Member
  • Take on me
    • Yuki Yuki Yuki
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 05:04:28 pm »

My style is the best...
...so I challenge you!

ajf

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 05:08:56 pm »

Body blocking encourages bad players to stab aimlessly as spy

so lower amount of skill/timing/luck to get a stab with body blocking
So introduce balance fixes.

Actually, it would be nice if there was a stab cooldown, bodyblocking or no.

Catman

• The Argumental
  • Veteran Member
  • Take on me
    • Yuki Yuki Yuki
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 05:20:31 pm »

life without bodyblocking is meaningless
You must've had a very boring life. Is that why you suddenly changed gender?
My style is the best...
...so I challenge you!

ajf

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 05:22:10 pm »

life without bodyblocking is meaningless
You must've had a very boring life. Is that why you suddenly changed gender?
Oh come on, that's a low blow.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 35 queries.