April 20, 2024, 12:41:50 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New board: Development Discussion  (Read 4546 times)

MedO

• Owns this place
New board: Development Discussion
« on: December 18, 2011, 02:58:43 pm »

Dear players, modders and members of the community,

Often it seems like this game is developed in secret by a close circle of official devs, and to contribute you have to be a member of this select group. So far we have done little to disperse this myth and attract more developers, but the fact is that Gang Garrison 2 is an open source game, and anyone can submit changes and improvements the same way the official devs do. We want to remind people of this and create new channels for the general public to contribute to the future development of GG2.

In the past we have obscured our plans for development, but keeping the general development discussion out of public view has caused a dissociation between us "official devs" and other talented developers in the community, to the point where mods are created to correct flaws in the game, instead of actually submitting these improvements to the main project. While it is necessary to have project leaders and a private discussion area, there is little reason to keep everyone in the dark about the actual development, and we want to make planning for the future a much more community-oriented activity.

We feel that the "Feature Requests" forum nurtures the view that you should request things, and hope that someday a developer will come along and do them. While it is good to have a way to discuss new ideas, the focus needs to shift from "What could the devs do" to "What can I do". However, to this end you should have a place where you can plan and organize development of a new feature, if you decide that you want to make it a reality. For this purpose, we will create a new, public "Development Discussion" board that we all can use to plan new releases and discuss GG2 programming and feature implementation questions. It will also have sticky posts about how development of GG2 is organized and how to work with the source from our repository. Guidelines for coding style and for handling bug reports may follow.

I have already retired the old "Bug Reports" section, which has taken up its zombie space on the forum for long enough. Using a proper bug tracker ensures that issues will not be forgotten, they can be assigned to developers, targeted for a specific version and managed in many other ways. And just as anyone can work on features, anyone can work on bugs as well. You need no special privileges to discuss a bug report or to change its status (with some restrictions), so anyone can develop and submit a bugfix and then mark the bug report as "fix committed". Don't fiddle with this too lightly; You should read up on what the statuses mean first, and when it is appropriate to use them. We will probably need some guidelines for that as well. However, don't be too afraid of making a mistake either - I keep an eye on all activity on the bug tracker (and hopefully, other people will start doing the same), so mistakes should be noticed and will be corrected.

In summary, I hope the new Development Discussion board will make GG2 development more accessible for talented people like you.

If you are interested in learning to contribute or have any questions, feel free to post here or drop by the IRC (#gg2_dev), as we want to do everything we can to make future development of Gang Garrison 2 far more transparent and community driven.
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

DSky

• Seasoned Member
    • Steam profile
Re: New board: Development Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 03:01:06 pm »

I'm not a developer or anything, but hell, this looks like a great idea.
[SOS] [VAL]

Needs more maids

Everything is better with maids

Brooklyn

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 03:01:41 pm »

fuck when i refreshed and saw a new section i thought i just became mod or some shit

go to hell medo

Agh

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
    • My maps
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 03:15:22 pm »

fuck when i refreshed and saw a new section i thought i just became mod or some shit

go to hell medo
There's no secret mod section. It's disappointing.

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 03:16:37 pm »

The dev board should go to the top or bottom of the section as it has the longest name. It's a visual thing I'm picky about that we don't actually need to follow.
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

Lemonade

• Apprenticecrastinator
  • Seasoned Member
  • BACK FROM THE DEAD (for now)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:01:44 pm »

This was a great post and I'm kinda happy about the forums now having this, thought it's not like I'ld try to implement anything- but hey. It's cool. Thanks to the devteam for caring.
i already have a pet that follows me around 24/7
it's called  :z4:
you may have seen it

I_am_awesome

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 04:12:26 pm »

In summary, I hope the new Development Discussion board will make GG2 development more accessible for talented people like you.

BassMakesPaste

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 04:15:30 pm »

How about we restrict the board to 50+ posts to keep it from becoming another feature requests?

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 04:16:29 pm »

I'm not honestly afraid of that happening, this board isn't exactly newbie friendly, and I'll be hoping for any activity at all

Orpheon

• 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Developer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 04:16:51 pm »

I'm not honestly afraid of that happening, this board isn't exactly newbie friendly, and I'll be hoping for any activity at all
Same.

BassMakesPaste

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 04:17:27 pm »

Iunno. Anything with the word "development" or "content" tends to wrangle useless request threads.

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 06:08:40 pm »

That's why we have moderators
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 36 queries.