April 24, 2024, 05:40:10 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Gang Garrison 2.4 Beta 5  (Read 31227 times)

RebelINS

• Martial Expert
  • I am a rising contender, confident to win.
Re: Gang Garrison 2.4 Beta 5
« Reply #195 on: October 22, 2011, 08:49:49 pm »

dude. you can jump to dodge too, and you retain full air control during a jump unlike in TF2. i'm not getting this "1-dimensional strafe to dodge bullshit" that makes curved trajectories suddenly undesirable.

revolver bullets have a curved trajectory, and they're not that hard to dodge at mid-long range. if anything, the speed of the projectile plays the biggest role. a straight flare versus a curved flare is irrelevant because the flare itself isn't as fast as a revolver bullet, nor should it be.

anytime someone is on the ground and are able to jump (also depending on their position), they always have three options to dodge, and in two axes: move left/right, jump, or don't jump. dodging flares is the same as dodging any other projectile. the slower the projectile is (flare), the easier it is for that player to react and dodge. curved trajectories doesn't change this at all.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #196 on: October 22, 2011, 09:38:39 pm »

congratulations, you just argued for my point

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

RebelINS

• Martial Expert
« Reply #197 on: October 22, 2011, 09:53:13 pm »

no i didn't. i'm saying that your 1-dimensional strafing thing is bullshit and a stupid reason to base any argument off of because it's straight up incorrect. ::)

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #198 on: October 22, 2011, 09:54:45 pm »

No, you're missing my fucking point completely and just argued in favour of it without realizing it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

RebelINS

• Martial Expert
« Reply #199 on: October 22, 2011, 10:17:45 pm »

the flare curve is along a 2d plane
the strafing in gg2 is on a 1d axis that is part of that plane
dodging is a product of movement in any direction on a 2d plane. if you totally ignore the fact that you can move up and down to dodge, then yes dodging is 1-dimensional
the strafing in tf2 is on a 1d axis that is perpendicular to that plane

I would know what the flare is supposed to be for, blue, I'm the fucking designer.

But still, "If anything it makes it harder to dodge since you have to take into account the curve when you choose to jump."
But, that's wrong, still. It curving makes it so that it's easier to dodge because you ~can~ take it into account, moving left or right more easily when it's at a vertical angle. This is about airshots, not shooting on planes or downhill.
If I'm unintentionally arguing for what you're saying, then this wouldn't apply. Curving does not make it easier or harder to dodge, because I argue that the main factor in dodging is the speed of the projectile. The time between when the player notices and reacts to a shot is more important (aka the speed) than the path the shot takes.

Projectiles going in a straight trajectory also makes it easier to dodge because you ~can~ take it into account. Any and all projectiles whose position can be predicted over a period of time can be easy to dodge. For instance, a rocket coming straight at you from a quarter screen away can be dodged because you know it's going to hit you in half a second, and then jump over it. Likewise, a rocket shooting over your head can be predicted and dodged by not jumping.

Your point about dodging vertical angled projectiles is moot because it's easy to dodge anything coming from above or below. This is because of the relative speed of the character perpendicular to the projectile though, and not because of the curved trajectory itself. A straight trajectory projectile coming from a vertical angle would be just as easy to dodge.

my argument in a nutshell:
Uh you still jump to dodge it whether it curves or not, it's not really more or less difficult either way.

Hope that helps.

trog

• member of intel's squad of garbagemen against the yakuza
  • Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #200 on: October 22, 2011, 11:11:16 pm »

but he said

This is about airshots

out of the blue so everything is somehow irrelevant except not really since the same concept still applies. You still strafe to dodge it whether it curves or not

PM me your apps for my clan

92% of people who see this will not
have the guts to repost it. When Goku
died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 35 queries.