April 28, 2024, 10:05:14 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: JGang development journal  (Read 19288 times)

cspotcode

• Coder
  • Administrator
Re: JGang development journal
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 12:56:14 pm »

Another option is dual-licensing under the GPL for open-source projects and a commercial license for proprietary projects, like Qt is. People like the KDE or VLC folks use it for free, and companies like Opera Software pay for a license.

But these options don't answer Medo's question: If he accepts code contributions, should he/how does he pay contributors if and when he makes any money.

In the case of Qt, I think contributors just don't get any money.  Which makes sense, because I'm betting Qt software does way more work than the contributors do.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
- Douglas Adams

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 11:04:59 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. GPL might be a feasible option for dual-licensing, but I have come to dislike it somewhat because of its viral character. I don't feel it necessary that everyone who uses the engine (for free games) should have to open their own source code. The LGPL would be an option for going completely free, but no use for dual-licensing because everyone could use the engine for commercial projects as well with that license. That's why I'd currently favor something like the Creative Commons by-nc license.

A small announcement about development, I have decided to stop until I have finished a project for university. It is crucial for the timing of my exams that I get that done soon, afterward I will resume work on JGang. It should take at most four weeks.

To while away the time, I should probably post a link to the most recent test where you can run around as Quote and push those blocks and balls around. This uses a new generic Character class which is supposed implement generic movement and collision behaviour/information for player characters. It is incomplete so far, for example, there's no way to check whether the character is standing on something at the moment. As a result, you can jump while in the air and catapult yourself out of the room.

http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~smaxein/JGangTest3.zip
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

walrusfan97

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 05:01:22 pm »

This is actually getting fairly interesting, and now that I have dedicated video, it doesn't move like a dying elephant.

The moving actually seems fairly smooth, but could be toned down for a bit more controllability.

However it seems everything is coming out fine. Especially those physics on the squares and balls. And I simply adore the moving background.

thisismyacct

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 05:53:44 am »

You could always just say that contributors will be credited for their help... but nothing more.. and if someone isn't willing to live with that they can just not contribute.  No need to pay out for it all.  I'd enjoy just being able to point out to someone else that pays a game that "Hey, I helped make that"

I_am_awesome

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 01:59:16 pm »

Any progress on this? Would be really nice to know since it sounds/looks/tastes interesting.

if not then i will hit you :hehe:

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2009, 04:44:34 pm »

No, I'm currently using my hobby coding time for GG2 bugfixing. I'll definitely continue with this though.
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Maxaxle

• Resident Serious Business
    • My Site
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2009, 06:43:58 pm »

No, I'm currently using my hobby coding time for GG2 bugfixing. I'll definitely continue with this though.
Yes please! I absolutely love the physics engine!
[/possibility of "why don't you marry it" joke]

Atomic1fire

• ENSURT TECKST HEAR
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 07:48:20 pm »

This currently is full of win, it works better too.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:49:08 pm by Atomic1fire »

Exploding Pancakes

• Lucky Member
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 02:22:46 pm »

So far, so good. One question I have though: Will the finished game be as heavy on physics? Having several objects rolling around the screen could result in some lag, and probably desync.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2009, 09:08:06 am »

Good day sirs, ladies.

I hereby declare this project un-shelved.
The university project I had been talking about is still not finished because I had to stop working on it in turn in order to learn for my exams, but at the moment I have a bit of spare time again and imma use some of it on this. And some on Dragon Age :angel:.

So far, so good. One question I have though: Will the finished game be as heavy on physics? Having several objects rolling around the screen could result in some lag, and probably desync.

JGang is an engine/framework, designed to be useful for different types of games. If we decided port GG2 over it wouldn't automatically become a physics-fest.

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2009, 03:57:51 pm »

:wuv:

But... I can't run it :angry:

Blitzsuuuu

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 07:47:23 pm »

I tried it out and it ran pretty smoothly.

Rodoval

• Seasoned Member
  • It's been 8 years already, am I oldfag yet
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2009, 11:17:56 am »

You mean really smoothly.

read this post about minors without looking at the last page first, and I thought you were encouraging rodo to hunt for young women.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 04:52:22 am »

Networking support 1: Basic Lobby system

As a first step toward networking support I'm writing some generic lobby server/client code. Much of the server code from GG2 can probably be kept, but the system will be expanded a bit to allow game-specific server properties and server-side filtering options.

This doesn't make for the world's best lobby system (for example, it doesn't have any social component like "friends", and it doesn't feature matchmaking/NAT punchthrough), but it's a first step and can be expanded later. Fortunately, the lobby functionality can be very well separated from the rest of the networking, so switching to a more powerful lobby system later should be a painless process for game developers.

A downside of the current GG2 lobby system is that the server code is a Java application that directly communicates via TCP and UDP, so it's not possible to host it on a cheap webspace with PHP and mysql. I'm currently considering to make the server interface HTTP-based instead, e.g. as a web service, which would allow implementing an alternative PHP solution. However, I'm not sure that the added complexity and communication overhead is worth it.

walrusfan97

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 06:15:11 am »

Medo, this is completely unrelated, but what the hell is NAT?

I've heard it everywhere and supposedly it's opened on my computer, but I have no idea what it is.

I suppose on topic note: At least this is alive. Is it possible to ever get a friends sort of service for gang garrison in the future? That would be an interesting feature.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:15:57 am by Cave Story #1 fan!!!!!!! »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 35 queries.