November 28, 2021, 08:33:11 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: HTTPS now available, more changes incoming  (Read 1286 times)

MedO

• Owns this place
HTTPS now available, more changes incoming
« on: May 20, 2018, 05:33:01 pm »

Hi everyone.

This forum is now also available via https, thanks to letsencrypt. This way, your passwords and email addresses will be protected from eavesdropping. Just head to https://www.ganggarrison.com/forums and try it out! Let me know of anything doesn't work for you - I already know that youtube embeds are broken via https right now, and will work on fixing that. I want to make https mandatory in a bit, so it would be best if you check soon.

There will be more changes very soon, in order to make this forum compliant with the new rules of the EU GDPR which will start to be enforced a week from now. There is quite a bit of panic about these new regulations in the air because the fines can be severe, and there is still a lot of uncertainty about how this law should be interpreted for many specific questions. Many small communities are actually closing down because of this.

However, the purpose of this regulation is not to cripple small, noncommercial communities like ours, but to help people to regain control of their personal data from corporations, which is something I fully support. Furthermore, we don't sell your data or use it for anything else other than to provide the services of this forum. So I refuse to accept that taking down the forums and all its history and great content should be necessary, and have instead started on the research, paperwork and technical measures necessary to keep the forces of evil lawyers at bay. Wish me luck.
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

MedO

• Owns this place
Re: HTTPS now available, more changes incoming
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 03:18:13 pm »

Update: I just enabled the Faucet Privacy-Preserving Image Proxy. This means that all requests for embedded images now to through our server. The advantage is that external sites where the images are hosted can no longer track you.

Implementing this required a small rewrite of SMFs existing Image Proxy, because that one was both broken and unusable as a privacy proxy as it was (since it fell back to redirecting the browser to the image file directly in some cases).

Again, if you see any issues with this change please tell me. Also, please tell me if you still see any requests to third-party sites on here (except for embedded youtube videos).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:20:40 pm by MedO »
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Spazz

• Seasoned Member
  • Almost too much seasoning.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 05:35:06 pm »

Been browsing around spots I don't normally go through, everything reacts as normal. Have yet to perform some specific critical tasks but those will be soon.

Neat image proxy though, wonder if that's going to disallow the 'viewed' counter I have on some of mine. Last I checked my profile picture alone was 25k or something. Good lord it's past 60k now, then again it's been a year or so since I last checked.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:35:41 pm by Spazz »

<3 Bustatunez

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:39:57 pm »

For now, the images are just proxied, so any request will go through to the original. I'm considering turning on some caching, but I'm not sure if that might have copyright implications since I'd be storing those pictures then.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 01:24:46 pm »

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I disabled all embedding for now. Embedding might be re-enabled for selected sites such as youtube at a later point.

2Wheeze

• that machine can kiss my ass
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 07:21:21 pm »

Hasn't YouTube embedding run dry for a while now?

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 08:30:26 pm »

I think it depended on whether or not your browser still supported flash.
Our embed plugin was kind of old-fashioned that way.

Spazz

• Seasoned Member
  • Almost too much seasoning.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 09:16:42 am »

Noticed when I was editing this message ( https://www.ganggarrison.com/forums/index.php?topic=38131.msg1292377#msg1292377 ) just now through quick edit, my phone refused to complete the quick edit though it stop "saving.../loading..." until I selected modify, made the same changes, and saved which went through.

Hopefully it was a one time thing
Edit: test. Yup apparently a freak of nature, will continue to look around
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:18:35 am by Spazz »

<3 Bustatunez
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 35 queries.