August 08, 2020, 10:31:43 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: the epic review room  (Read 492 times)

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
the epic review room
« on: July 04, 2017, 06:35:25 pm »

tbh there are too many video games in 2017. everywhere you look, there are video games. what is anybody supposed to do with all of that? its just too much for a Gamer to handle. im gonna help you find some good games, and maybe some bad games.

ok review #1: its shrubnaut by andrew gleeson.

as you can see its this cute little platformer. big surprise here- its a metroidvania. gleeson made this in 6 days. for something whipped up in 6 days its pretty serviceable. for the simplistic gamer who doesn't want to concern himself with complex button pressing, youllbe happy to note all you have to do is press 2 buttons, one button to jump and one to use your grappling hook, which is basically what the game revolves around.

the point of the game is to traverse a fairly large map and solve a couple easy platforming puzzles so you can touch magic space diamonds. touching all four beats the game. that is all there is to it. the physics of the game are pretty tight. you can pick up crates while mid air to get extra momentum for your jump. the game mixes it up here and there with this purple space rock stuff you cant grapple on, some water and pressure sensor doors. i mean its nothing thats gonna make you wanna write a comment on a kotaku article or anything, but the guy had 6 days to make the game so its not like there was gonna be any depth to it.

what you see is pretty much what you get, aka just another short 30 minute metroidvania with a bit of lonely space ambience and some generic looking pixel artwork. at least its not ugly? the music just plays on loop, forever... doot doot de doot. look at that pillar. and that Rock. wow i wonder where it leads. should think about life and shit. we all have that scrubnaut moment. tbh now i cant get the 45 second loop out of my head.

so yeah. i think itd have the potential to be a somewhat good full game if it were developed long term, but as it is its virtually indistinguishable from any other of the thousands of game jam titles you can find floating about. if you like physic based platformers you could try dustforce dx or spelunky, and if you're into this aesthetic (snore) you can just settle for cave story which is basically what every indie game like this is biting off in my humble and v. learned onion. unless you wanna kill 30 minutes, id skip it.

5/10
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:52:36 pm by Intel Guard »
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

free crzy

• Heroic Member
  • #FREEBOBBY2K20
    • drain gang track you down like a bloodhound
Re: the epic review room
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 01:12:32 am »

interview me i'm famous
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 35 queries.