December 01, 2021, 04:10:09 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Server move  (Read 3162 times)

MedO

• Owns this place
Server move
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:42:17 am »

Hi everyone.

I just noticed that Hetzner now offers a new vServer line which offers better performance for less money, so I ordered one and will be moving everything over very soon. If everything goes smoothly you should not really notice a difference, but while transitioning you can expect a few hiccups and downtimes. In particular, the forum will be down for a short time while I transfer it over, and while the DNS change propagates through the internet some of the other services (lobby, mumble) might be "split", with some people connecting to the old server and some to the new. However, this should clear up within a day of the transfer.

So let's hope it all goes smoothly. Since it's a bit of work to move everything over, nothing might happen yet this weekend, but I can't take too long either or I'll have to pay the old server for an extra month :)

Done:
Postfix
Gitolite
Mumble
Linux user accounts and groups
automysqlbackup
remote backup (backup file creation)
php5.6-fpm
copy all the things
a completely unrelated website
lobby
haxxy auth
forum
DNS change (still trickling through the internets)
Tor
SMF update
znc
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:28:10 pm by MedO »
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Spazz

• Seasoned Member
  • Almost too much seasoning.
Re: Server move
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 12:24:54 pm »

Gotta back-up fast

Edit: Thanks for the heads up MedO
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:25:20 pm by Spazz »

<3 Bustatunez

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 03:24:37 pm »

I'm spending all evening just setting up postfix. On the upside, mails will now be encrypted on the way to your email provider (if they support it, and if not, shame on them), so no more "open lock" warning symbol in gmail. Also I am starting to use SPF and DKIM to authenticate the mail origin, which (I hope) will make it less likely that your email providers will see the emails as spam or even outright refuse to accept them.
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 09:33:54 am »

I'm making progress here, with a few more hours of work I can probably start the transition. SMF can already run and I considered already switching this server to proxy mode so the forums would actually be served from the new one already. However, I'll do that some time next week. Today I don't feel like continuing, and there is a lot else to do for me...

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 06:28:34 pm »

Well, move is well and truly over now. Enjoy your fresh server :)

#freeprime

• not arctic
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:44:13 pm »

thank mr medo

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 09:19:02 am »

Unfortunately the server move broke a few things on the forums. I already fixed one of them related to registration, which was due to an incompatible php configuration setting.

There is another however which currently prevents people with some non-ascii characters in their usernames from logging in. Don't worry, the actual data in the database is fine, the new database server version just has different defaults for charset handling. I'll spend some time later today to figure out what exactly is going wrong so that I can fix it without breaking something else...

SevereHazard

• fuck this game
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 02:53:14 pm »

Does the server move cause a difference in ping depending on your location (from/to) the server? I feel like my ping shot up by 50.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 03:26:36 pm »

I think it's hosted in the same location, so no, there should be no difference. I'm also not sure why ping to the server should be important to you. It's not a game server, it just hosts the lobby and website etc.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 07:32:33 am »

Don't mind me, I'm just testing charset issues.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 07:32:49 am »

Oh dear.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 07:35:27 am »

かな?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 07:37:52 am »

?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:44:50 am by Phantom Brave »

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 08:36:18 am »

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 08:57:37 am »

Argh, now this was a merry goose chase. Anyway, the problem was more pervasive than just usernames, it basically affected... well, everything. Never mind, everything is back to normal. Posts, PMs, signatures etc. which were created since the server move might contain broken characters, but I think we can live with that.

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 35 queries.