June 16, 2019, 03:31:58 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat with us online! (or @irc.esper.net/#gg2)
Come Mumble with us!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moneymatching - Could it somewhat invigorate comp?  (Read 2153 times)

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
Moneymatching - Could it somewhat invigorate comp?
« on: February 29, 2016, 06:21:41 pm »

Okay, at this point I've come to the conclusion that competitive play is dead. There's really no disputing it. The last couple of wars people have tried to get together have all fallen through. I don't even do anything with my own clan. This is pretty much because GG2 has little return on time investment. It is clearly at the bottom of the list of anything I want to do. When the opportunity cost of playing a 1/2 to 1 hour match of comp gg2 without full teams and delays between maps amounts to doing pretty much anything else more enjoyable, there is a problem.

Just making clans and tournies and hoping they stick do not work. Clan wars rely on a lot of coordination, and tournaments take it to a grander scheme. It takes effort and dedication. Something gg2 just does not warrant. You get nothing out of it- most people here have hit the skill ceiling, and those who haven't probably don't post here. The game does not have active development, so there is no real chance of the meta evolving to shake things up. Until people just start modding this themselves and getting it updated somewhat consistently again, I don't see any clear solution to our problem.

My angle is to simply increase the return on investment for playing a full set of competitive gg2. And that is to stress that the people start throwing money down on games. It's an incentive, and if people contribute to a pot its even better. More people will be enticed to play comp if somehow we make an advertisement of it. People will have incentives to show up on time. This can be done on micro levels - 1v1 to macro levels - clans and tournies.

What do you all think?
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Derpduck

Re: Moneymatching - Could it somewhat invigorate comp?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 06:26:07 pm »

I don't think there's enough players around for this to be realistic, and those that are around don't even want to play the game.
Stuff about game development is not a problem, I did make a mod specifically for competitive. No-one has played it though because no-one wants to play.

Teekytots [PC][OG]

• Retired Big Man
  • Soldier of Fortune
  • Fear is only a State of Mind
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 09:16:15 pm »

send this mod to me pls
I have signatures turned off

ZaSpai

• Ray Bann's Minion
  • "Eeh?! We're just allies!"
Right behind you when you most expect it | classicwell master race

Poop

• 2013 Haxxy Award Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 11:21:28 am »

Frankly with the investment you might as well hire a talent programmer to bring the game into C+ or another code that steam will accept and let the rest run by it self.

Teekytots [PC][OG]

• Retired Big Man
  • Soldier of Fortune
  • Fear is only a State of Mind
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 01:46:51 pm »

alright who wants to bet some money
I have signatures turned off

Spazz

• Seasoned Member
  • Almost too much seasoning.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:14:23 pm »

No-one has played it though because no-one wants to play.
Not entirely true, we tested it out the early version(s) and there were bugs, you've updated since then but haven't heard of further tests

<3 Bustatunez

Derpduck

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:29:04 am »

No-one has played it though because no-one wants to play.
Not entirely true, we tested it out the early version(s) and there were bugs, you've updated since then but haven't heard of further tests
Yes, no-one has played it because it crashed and was unplayable as a result :drool:

___beam

• This bowtie is really a camera
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 08:58:20 pm »

The reason the last war didn't work last was because the communication between the parties/players involved were poor. I, personally, was excited and as a result I kept in touch with Teeky because I knew he wanted it to happen as much as I did. Everyone else was kinda just meh about it.
Comp being dead is the result of the lack of new blood in it. As is such, we need to advertise it to someone. Which brings me to an idea I had, we suggest the game to a lesser known TF2 youtuber. Possibly Grizzy or Raja. We tell them about the game, gauge interest, and then some of us show up on a server. We'd be able to control how the game looks and we'd be able to walk them through the basic mechanics. I'm suggesting a lesser youtuber because majority of TF2 youtubers support each other and watch each other's videos.
Now You may be worried about the kind of people this would bring in, but I remember playing around the time Nilsey did his video, but he didn't know about the forums and about how people can really make this game their own, which is the most important part. The kids Nilsey brought in left immediately mostly because they weren't as engaged as they could have been. Where would this game be without the forums?

tl;dr I have no money

Poop

• 2013 Haxxy Award Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 04:46:32 pm »

you can still reorganise the war its not exactly like its a lost cause.

malpractice

• taking a crap
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 10:42:00 am »

the majority of players are probably too young and don't have enough disposable income to shell out for money matches

Alma Elma

• BEWARE, I'M ON MY PERIOD
  • hhhhhhhhhhhhh
    • Steam Community Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 06:01:20 pm »

the majority of players are probably too young and don't have enough disposable income to shell out for money matches
ty for input

I've got the Joy, the Joy deep in my heart. Joy, Joy, Joy.
Do you?

read my sig because im banned

• Heroic Member
  • Sigh
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 05:52:53 pm »

There's a skill ceiling, I thought the only skill needed in gg2 is to have a lower ping. For tournies I'll be willing to donate 2 cents on steam. If someone beats Heenok I be willing to donate a dollar.

bullets (obviously)

• Seasoned Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 05:00:07 am »

There's a skill ceiling, I thought the only skill needed in gg2 is to have a lower ping. For tournies I'll be willing to donate 2 cents on steam. If someone beats Heenok I be willing to donate a dollar.

ez just make some korean player host

There's absolutely no skillcap in sight because of lag kek. heenok's just been playing the longest and hardest :^)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:01:10 am by bullets (obviously) »

SevereHazard

• fuck this game
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 09:17:26 pm »

Is anyone gonna do like a short tournament or event this coming christmas
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 36 queries.