August 25, 2019, 08:19:57 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.
Chat with us online! (or @irc.esper.net/#gg2)
Come Mumble with us!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 18397 times)

GG2RBY

Overwatch
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:48:24 am »

http://eu.battle.net/overwatch/en/

http://youtu.be/FqnKB22pOC0
Some more images, the artstyle is dope
(click to show/hide)

Surprised we don't have a thread on this yet. Blizzard recently announced their first new universe for a game in 17 years and it's a shooter. They've never done anything like this before. People have been comparing it to TF2, although the people who have played it say it's nothing like it. It draws from it but the game has more focus on teamplay and abilities instead of straight up deathmatch. It's more of a shooter + moba in that sense. Basically Super Monday Night Combat except not bad and developed by Blizzard.

Here's STAR's thoughts about it after he got a chance to play it
(click to show/hide)

And b4nny's thoughts, more in depth/vlog (TF2's best player for a long time, in case you're not familiar with him)
(click to show/hide)

My personal thoughts: I'm extremely hyped for this, probably the first time for an online game. I used to play TF2 all the time and competitively, but I stopped a few months ago. As you know Valve kinda stopped caring about the game. Major updates don't happen anymore, the stability is a mess (I run CS:GO on high/very high @ 250-300 fps though for some reason TF2 can't be run higher than 150 with low settings even though it's ancient at this point), comp was dying and never received proper support, imbalanced weapons kept getting added, ... Honestly it just went downhill the last couple of years. I switched to CS:GO which I've been enjoying tons. On release it was bad and TF2 was the superior game, but then the development team stepped it up while TF2 kept degrading and so the tables turned. Although CSGO is great, I miss the class based action and really think this game could fill the gap. It will probably become huge in the world of esports too, up there with csgo league and dota2. I mean, probably the 4th biggest game in terms of competition right now is Hearthstone. A freaking card game. Why? Because Blizzard made it and their money talks.

Some important info
  • Beta comes out in the fall, worst case scenario January 2016. You can sign up for it.
  • Will (95% sure) be F2P but paying model/microtransactions has not been decided. Skins for the characters are an option according to the devs.
  • 14 heroes officially announced so far, although the banners and art show more. Devs have confirmed there will be more heroes on release and more added over time.

tl;dr Blizzard creates new game, TF2 is now officially kill
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:51:55 am by rby »

Catman

• The Argumental
  • Veteran Member
  • Take on me
    • Yuki Yuki Yuki
Re: Overwatch
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 08:52:15 am »

From what Star said, it sounds like it might not be very fun after a short while. And by fun I mean that the game will be completely uncasual, like MOBAs.
My style is the best...
...so I challenge you!

GG2RBY

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 08:57:33 am »

From what Star said, it sounds like it might not be very fun after a short while. And by fun I mean that the game will be completely uncasual, like MOBAs.
Don't know how you picked that one up. He's mentioned a few times that the game is really fun and easy to get into but you need to learn tons still. TF2 players won't have a massive advantage either because the TF2 playerd who were invited to the event kept trying to do things like purely out aim people or rocketjump but that just didn't work. Sure having good aim and fps experience will help you but not as much as you'd think. Moba's are harder to get into if anything.

hello

• Lucky Member
  • nigga
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 09:46:36 am »

"time to reap"

Catman

• The Argumental
  • Veteran Member
  • Take on me
    • Yuki Yuki Yuki
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 09:51:19 am »

Don't know how you picked that one up. He's mentioned a few times that the game is really fun and easy to get into but you need to learn tons still. TF2 players won't have a massive advantage either because the TF2 playerd who were invited to the event kept trying to do things like purely out aim people or rocketjump but that just didn't work. Sure having good aim and fps experience will help you but not as much as you'd think. Moba's are harder to get into if anything.
It was from when he said that most of the characters do better with certain other characters as teammates, with the whole meta stuff that is inevitable (Mann vs Machine suffers for this, because there's no room for anything other than THE meta. If you don't comply then you get kicked over and over.)

TF2 is fun when you have like 3 Soldiers spamming down a corridor at once, killing everything that dares to pass by you. Sure it's not very strategic but it's possible to do, it'd never happen in the competitive scene either. I think my gripe with Overwatch is that it's going to be a game that's just for competition play (Like MOBAs are too, I guess). It may be fun to play, but it's not trying to make things fun, if you get what I mean?
My style is the best...
...so I challenge you!

GG2RBY

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 09:57:15 am »

TF2 is fun when you have like 3 Soldiers spamming down a corridor at once,
I think our definition of fun is different mate
"time to reap"
Yeah Reaper's voice lines and general background/personality is the least interesting out of the 14 revealed so far

Catman

• The Argumental
  • Veteran Member
  • Take on me
    • Yuki Yuki Yuki
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 10:02:08 am »

TF2 is fun when you have like 3 Soldiers spamming down a corridor at once,
I think our definition of fun is different mate
Sometimes it's fun to not play to win.
My style is the best...
...so I challenge you!

hello

• Lucky Member
  • nigga
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 12:26:42 pm »

"time to reap"
Yeah Reaper's voice lines and general background/personality is the least interesting out of the 14 revealed so far
lmao

from the website:
BASE OF OPERATIONS: UNKNOWN
AFFILIATION: UNKNOWN

no backstory

just "mercenary"

Crab

• Lucky Member
  • f
    • CrabGG2Recordings - my youtube account that has nearly nothing on it
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 12:27:44 pm »

from the website:

no backstory

just "mercenary"
i dont thi nk u understand he's supposed to be mysterious and edgy

GG2RBY

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 12:47:31 pm »

http://youtu.be/Ara1dYUMGgw
I think we can agree that this is the best character

from the website:

no backstory

just "mercenary"
“DEATH WALKS AMONG YOU.”
Some speak of a black-robed terrorist known only as the Reaper. His identity and motives are a mystery. What is known is that where he appears, death follows.

The Reaper is an extremely volatile mercenary, a ruthless and remorseless killer responsible for terrorist attacks across the world. He has fought in many armed conflicts in the last decades, showing no loyalty to any cause or organization.

Survivors have described a black shadow ghosting unscathed through the most hellish battlefields. The few bodies recovered of those he kills are pale, empty husks drained of life, their cells showing signs of intense degradation. It is possible that he is a byproduct of failed genetic alteration which forces his cells to simultaneously decay and regenerate at a hyper-accelerated rate.

Those attempting to track his movements have begun to see a pattern in his appearances. They believe that Reaper is hunting former Overwatch agents and systematically eliminating them.
2spooky
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:00:40 pm by rby »

hello

• Lucky Member
  • nigga
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 01:13:01 pm »

from the website:

no backstory

just "mercenary"
http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Edgy

am i doing this right

lmao theres a diffrence between edgy and just plain boring
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:13:32 pm by Roflolian »

GG2RBY

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 01:15:31 pm »

the south park t-shirt makes it even more cringy

Orpheon

• 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Developer
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 01:50:35 pm »

I'm extremely hyped for this as well.

Favourite character on my side is already clear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSRFxXdxxLY

Can heal a target even without being in sight, can debuff an enemy heavily with one shot, and can AOE heal while making himself immortal.
And those normal attacks man. Look at the animations.
Beautiful.

hello

• Lucky Member
  • nigga
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 02:15:13 pm »

fave character is bastion, robot man
http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/heroes/bastion/

this dawg can turn himself into a frickin turret with a sheild and then he can self heal and then lay down mines that track enemies and shoot and explode. like cmon kid its like the engineer from tf2 but insted of putting down a sentrey you are the sentriy oh mein godt like for shizzles mines that track enemies omg and he like birds yay

but yeah overall he looks cool.

.prime

• "lLaRtT"
  • :%)
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 02:58:07 pm »

reinhardt and mccree are my faves so far

game seems pretty fun and the arts fantastic. the trailer of the game reminds me of a pixar movie
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:59:45 pm by prime »
give usa host next time n put prime on other team so i can fuk on this nigga for tlaking shit
plz ban all european ips so we can keep gg2 clean
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 35 queries.