March 01, 2021, 06:50:54 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Garrison Builder 2 Tutorial  (Read 41372 times)

Poop

• 2013 Haxxy Award Winner
Garrison Builder 2 Tutorial
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:49:43 am »

Main instructions from lorgan himself here, garrison builder 2's release add of several new upgrades and refreshed UI, this guide aims to help simplify adding parallax to existing and new maps as well as introduce some new utilities.

Before you attempt this it's advised you learn the basics of garrison builder first.
_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ ______________________

How to Add Parallax
(click to show/hide)

Note:

1.It's necessary for your file to be png, png files are widely used in gg2 and a must for all image related stuff.
2.All layers need to be the same aspect ratio.
3.FG works with layer properties, FG entity works with entity properties. Those 2 should never be mixed up.

Terminology:

FG (Foreground)
What appears in front of your Background and may overlap your character. Should be transparent unless you want to fill the entire map.

BG (Background)
(click to show/hide)
The BG that is relative to wallmask, it's the image you character will be stepping on. Yes, your BG will need to be transparent, on parts of your map where LBG will be shown should be erased from the BG.

PBG (Parallax Background)
(click to show/hide)
Otherwise known as parallax layers, this is where the magic happens. Same with the BG, they need to be transparent. Ideally you'd want your last LBG to be filled completely, since it's behind everything. You can have up to 6 LBG.

FG entity
(click to show/hide)
Enables you to create effects like fading, animated, opacity foregrounds; animated clouds, grass, etc. You pick where to place these. First add the entity you want to use through "Add resources" and give it a name.You will see "Resizable Foreground" and "Scalable Foreground" at the bottom of your entities tab, right click to go into their settings and type your entity name in resource. Resizable Foreground is a drag and place where as Scalable Foreground is fix resolution unless you were to change from settings. HD terminology applies to Scalable Foreground, see below. Just mess around with the settings to get a good idea of everything.

Void
If you've noticed the area outside the map is white "That's what that "background" property does in the metadata, it's just a hex color. Set it to 000000 for black, most paint programs also show the color in hexadecimal color or you can use this site to pick a good color: http://www.colorpicker.com/ - Lorgan

For complete Black like normal gg2 maps, type "void"in new property.

Method
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ ______________________
Moving Platforms Credit - Arctic

2.8 update introduced moving platforms, which are essentially dropdown platforms that move and I think lorgans gui is a bit complicated to understand so I'll write a tutorial about how it works.

You'll need a sprite for your platform and a map.
I just drew this real quick in paint.net for the example

Go ahead and hit the "Add Resource" button and name it whatever you want then navigate to your image file.

Rightclick the moving platform icon and assign the resource to the sprite you just imported. It'll be useful to have the grid open as well.

There are some possibly confusing values in there so I'll quote lorgan explaining the ones that pertain to the moving platforms.

the "top" and "left" attributes define the relative endposition,
"upspeed" and "downspeed" is the speed when going to the endposition and back respectively.
"trigger" is a special one; 0 means move constantly,1 means move when transporting a player and 2 means move when transporting a player carrying an intel.

Move your cursor to where you want to place your platform starting position, but don't place it down, then use your grid to count out the distance you want to move. Once that's done, right click the moving platform icon again and adjust your top, left, and speed values.

I'll be moving 24 pixels to the left and not moving up or down but since map pixels are 6x6 real pixels, 24 has to be multiplied by 6.

If all went well then you'll have successfully made a moving platform

borrowing overseers gif because mine looked like trash

If interested, here's the map I used in the example, the platform is only on the red side
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:37:35 am by Poop »

Poop

Re: How to add parallax effect to your map.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 04:23:40 pm »

Making HD

Note:
1.HD properties do not apply to wallmask, please keep the resolution as normal.

Terminology

x6 = 100%
x3 = 200%
x1.5 = 300%
And so on

Example:
800x600 = x6
1600x1200 = x3

x6 is essentially your wallmask resolution,
x3 is double that.

Method
Edit MetaData>Add New Property>Type "scale">Type "x6/3/1.5". This should  apply HD properties to your BG and LBG.
_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _______________________
GB2 Maps Showcase
(credit to mapspin, disregarding ass music. Click Mapview to see effect in site)

Please do include _plx tag after your map's name. It makes life easier when searching with 100+ map folders.

If I am missing anything or made a mistake please post below
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:39:03 pm by Poop »

Venomous

• Heroic Member
  • Monoculus Whisperer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 04:44:29 pm »

This should definitely be a more common thing, it makes maps feel a ton less static. the water area below where the 2 ships collide is a good example, makes it feel alot more open

also could someone experiment with the floating embers on koth_bloodmoon with top-layer [goes over everything else including players] parallax, thatd look badass

Lorgan

• Retired Randomizer Mod Developer
  • Resident Miku
    • My own website
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:00:41 am »

Okay I guess this is better than my attempt at quickly explaining it.

1 error though, the foreground isn't parallaxed, it's just a layer that's placed in front of the players so the foregroundyfactor and foregroundxfactor you speak of do not exist.

Will this lag the game for clients or servers if they have a parallax map in the rotation? And what is the super cp_docking map :talkingfirebug:
I would say it's too much of an constrain. Then again, I am not really familiar with the software side of this so you'll have to ask/look for lorgan/devs views.
Having a parallax map in your rotation doesn't affect the other maps -keep in mind that parallax maps only work in versions of the game that include gang garrison builder-

As for lag, I have no clue how gm does its drawing but if you have enough vram to run the map I don't think it will make much of a difference.
Unfortunately, turning a section into a communist oppressive regime is not against the forum rules, so there is really nothing we can do.
Quote from: steam
21:08 - Hullusorsa: lorgan, when will you buy us the keys?
21:09 - Lorgan: i'm waiting for greece to collapse so the value of the euro drops
21:09 - Lorgan: not even joking

Poop

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 07:10:04 am »

Okay I guess this is better than my attempt at quickly explaining it.

1 error though, the foreground isn't parallaxed, it's just a layer that's placed in front of the players so the foregroundyfactor and foregroundxfactor you speak of do not exist.

Will this lag the game for clients or servers if they have a parallax map in the rotation? And what is the super cp_docking map :talkingfirebug:
I would say it's too much of an constrain. Then again, I am not really familiar with the software side of this so you'll have to ask/look for lorgan/devs views.
Having a parallax map in your rotation doesn't affect the other maps -keep in mind that parallax maps only work in versions of the game that include gang garrison builder-

As for lag, I have no clue how gm does its drawing but if you have enough vram to run the map I don't think it will make much of a difference.
fixed.

Chorus

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 05:19:10 pm »

(click to show/hide)
I am using ctf_trufort_hd to make a parallax ctf_trufort_hq.

I am a bit confused, I loaded the GB2 but am stuck on what to do after that.

Poop

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:20:25 pm »

(click to show/hide)
I am using ctf_trufort_hd to make a parallax ctf_trufort_hq.

I am a bit confused, I loaded the GB2 but am stuck on what to do after that.
You're doing some of it right, maybe its a lack of example in my guide but I've added an example to the background frame.

It's important so remember your parallax objects will move, which means there will be areas players will see for the first time. To show this you need to actually draw houses and the sky alike. Notice how my parallax frame mountains are fully drawn compared to the original map.

Read carefully on my guide once you get to the gb2 part.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:43:21 pm by Poop »

Chorus

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 07:13:17 pm »

I thought we wanted more parallax supported maps? I can stop trying on hq trufort if I am doing it wrong to you . It was mostly to try out parallax anyway  =/.

Poop

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 07:16:02 pm »

I thought we wanted more parallax supported maps? I can stop trying on hq trufort if I am doing it wrong to you . It was mostly to try out parallax anyway  =/.
don't mind him. Just do your thing.

Venomous

• Heroic Member
  • Monoculus Whisperer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 07:22:25 pm »

yeah, we need more hdtruefort hosters anyway and this might add some encouragement

Spazz

• Seasoned Member
  • Almost too much seasoning.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 07:41:54 pm »

Uhm.. I'm going to go on a limb and state that I see a key mindset that is missing here..
It's something vital to set these map to a whole other level..

Parallax is NOT restricted to only the outdoor background, yeah..

<3 Bustatunez

Poop

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 07:45:50 pm »

Uhm.. I'm going to go on a limb and state that I see a key mindset that is missing here..
It's something vital to set these map to a whole other level..

Parallax is NOT restricted to only the outdoor background, yeah..
ur water splashes coming up -__-

Spazz

• Seasoned Member
  • Almost too much seasoning.
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 08:34:14 pm »

ur water splashes coming up -__-
There isn't just that Poop, but I'll let you discover them
I might just work on my own version of a HD Parallax map

<3 Bustatunez

Lorgan

• Retired Randomizer Mod Developer
  • Resident Miku
    • My own website
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 03:53:16 am »

To give an idea what I meant with "superspeed bgs", this is an xfactor of 0.4
(click to show/hide)

Someone make a rainbow road
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:03:28 am by SkeleDude »
Unfortunately, turning a section into a communist oppressive regime is not against the forum rules, so there is really nothing we can do.
Quote from: steam
21:08 - Hullusorsa: lorgan, when will you buy us the keys?
21:09 - Lorgan: i'm waiting for greece to collapse so the value of the euro drops
21:09 - Lorgan: not even joking

notarctic

• just arctic, what gives?
  • 👎👀 bad aim ba̷̶ ԁ aIm 👎 thats❌ some bad 👎👎aim
    • arcticland
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 04:22:35 am »

To give an idea what I meant with "superspeed bgs", this is an xfactor of 0.4

-snip-

Someone make a rainbow road
you are gonna give someone a seizure :drool:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:23:10 am by arcturkey »
[1:37:51 PM] Derpduck: arctic u need to quote ppl that make shit posts in case they edit them
[4:20:15 PM] Rubeus Hashgrid: i cant discover anything fuck you imageshack

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 49 queries.