April 24, 2024, 11:25:09 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Planned license change (GPL -> MPL), Help needed  (Read 17885 times)

MedO

• Owns this place
Planned license change (GPL -> MPL), Help needed
« on: August 23, 2014, 05:55:56 am »

Hi everyone.

tl;dr: The current license prevents us from using certain nice and (cost-)free libraries / frameworks, so we want to change it. The new license (MPL) would be strictly more free than the old one, and is the same one that's also used by Firefox. I need your help to contact the remaining contributors though. Please see the list at the bottom.

Long version
We want to change the license terms of Gang Garrison 2. So far, GG2 has been developed and distributed under the GNU GPL v3, which is a very popular free software license, but is actually quite political and restrictive. For example, it has prevented us from using cost-free libraries like the FMOD sound engine extension in the past, and it also prevents a potential port to XNA / MonoGame that MrRatermat has been working on.

In fact, we could only use some of the libraries that we did use (39dll, Hobbl Downloader) because we added explicit exceptions to our license in the beginning. But that's not practical now, because adding more exceptions would require the permission of everyone who ever contributed to the game every time.

After some discussion (which you can find in this thread), Arctic brought up the Mozilla Public License (MPL) that is also used for Firefox. I'm pretty convinced now that I'd have wanted to use that license from the beginning if I had known about it. If you're interested in the details best read the license yourself (it's not that long), but in short, it allows multiple licenses to coexist in our project, but still forces people to publish their source modifications to our own code.

The problem is that I can't just change the license, because everyone who ever contributed to vanilla GG2 holds some claim of copyright to the game as it is now. That means we need to find all of those people and ask for their permission. We've come pretty far already in that - out of 49 contributors on my list, 41 have already given their OK, one said "maybe", and nobody said no. A big thank you here.

However, there are still seven people who I didn't manage to contact or didn't get a reply from yet. This is where I need your help. If you know how to contact someone in the list below, please either ask them to get in contact with me or give me their contact details per PM. Do not post their contact details on here, for obvious privacy reasons. Here's the list:

King Metroid
Taters
Thorvan
Timohtep
Vaati
Tankmen
CobaltBW

Finally, if you have made some contribution to vanilla GG2 and didn't hear from me yet, please write to me as well, and be sure to add what exactly you contributed.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:14:04 pm by MedO »
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
Re: Planned license change (GPL -> MPL), Help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:56:29 am »

And the alternative is that we remove any and all content made by those people, correct? Not a problem for people like King Metroid or Thorvan, but I am pretty sure that most of our vanilla map rotation was made by Taters and Tarzan. Vaati is also an issue.

Blue Warrior is on the forum. Here, let me direct him to this thread.
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:53:50 pm »

And the alternative is that we remove any and all content made by those people, correct?
Plus anything derived from that content. Not a big issue with artwork, but can be really iffy with code.

On second thought, if someone took textures and objects from one map and re-used them in another, the same iffyness ensues.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:55:26 pm by MedO »
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 04:10:08 pm »

Yes, but given how simple our textures are, I'm pretty sure that there's at least *SOME* cracks we can slip past. Plus, it only applies to vanilla maps, does it not?

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:19:49 pm »

I have attempted to contact Vaati, and even managed to pinpoint his skype name, but to no avail.

CobaltBW

• Veteran Beta Tester
  • Blue Warrior
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 05:25:02 am »

you have my OK
~CobaltBW

"Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal." - Earl Nightingale

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 02:45:15 pm »

Great, thanks :)

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 03:01:12 pm »

Can we deal with the maps by making them external and just distributing with to constitute dynamic linking or is that a big nono?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:01:36 pm by Phantom Brave »

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Vindicator

• Developer
    • http://www.kylemoy.org/
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 12:16:27 am »

Is replacing their contributions a possibility if it comes to it?

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 12:24:05 am »

Worst case scenario yes

ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Vindicator

• Developer
    • http://www.kylemoy.org/
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 12:30:10 am »

Well, I mean, that requires that we know what would need replacing. I'm not sure how well things have been documented.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:35:17 am »

very poorly before git

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 01:49:05 am »

King Metroid was a mapper, his contributions can easily be found in the Mapping section. None of his maps are still in the game. Thorvan was a mapper/artist, but if it is the case that one of his maps were added, they have long since been removed.

Vaati, ex-developer. High priority, anyone with contact to Vaati, please respond

Timohtep, primary contribution is the Generator sprites (he uses one as his avatar, even). Replacing the Generator sprites would be simple, and HIGHLY recommended by myself. No offense, if you read this. I just feel they need to be updated.

Tankman, veteran beta tester. Might be lumped in with Thorvan, had a conversation with MedO about some of the people needed and he might be thinking of veteran beta testers. Will look into his account nonetheless and see if he contributed to the project, might not require his approval. (Same with Thorvan).

Taters, 2.0+ mapper. Made the original Waterway, as well as several other maps. High priority, anyone with contact to Taters (tat3rs), please respond

CobaltBW, Blue Warrior. Already have his approval, do not remember what he contributed. What did you contribute, if you read this? I stopped keeping track around ~2.3.

Also, consider reading old changelogs to view contributions from certain members. Thorvan's contributions might be pre-b23, and thus not documented.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 02:02:55 am »

Mighta been asdf. He's offline since he starts college tomorrow, but I recall him mentioning at some point in time how he regretted making Avanti. It's probably him.

Also, I've gone through pages 203 through 153 (in reverse) of Tankman's posts. I'm almost certain he contributed nothing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:12:03 am by Saniblues »

Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 36 queries.