August 25, 2019, 08:39:01 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.
Chat with us online! (or @irc.esper.net/#gg2)
Come Mumble with us!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: RPG/JRPG/SRPG/WRPG General Thread  (Read 5310 times)

Meower

• Elder God tier or Fagthulu, the great
  • Community Manager
  • Went fat once, never went back
Re: RPG/JRPG/SRPG/WRPG General Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 06:22:16 am »

Well you kind of need to explain your problem. The basic strategy, however, is usually to form a defensive position and wait for the enemies to come to you, then break into offensive groups based around taking out targets before they can retaliate.
The thing is that I have AW1 Sonya's levels of bad luck, so I always get into situations where a lone enemy unity manages to score a critical on one of my units before the final stretch of the mission is over.

Alma Elma

• BEWARE, I'M ON MY PERIOD
  • hhhhhhhhhhhhh
    • Steam Community Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 09:43:29 am »

And if Fire Emblem's anything like FFT, then you'll need to grind for a while -not for actual exp points, but rather so your guys become more effective.
Fire Emblem gives you enough for your units to be effective enough, there's zero need for grinding... Except for in a few cases where you're playing shit like Lunatic where you're riding on RNG's dick for a few matches.

I've got the Joy, the Joy deep in my heart. Joy, Joy, Joy.
Do you?

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 09:46:15 am »

And if Fire Emblem's anything like FFT, then you'll need to grind for a while -not for actual exp points, but rather so your guys become more effective.
Fire Emblem gives you enough for your units to be effective enough, there's zero need for grinding... Except for in a few cases where you're playing shit like Lunatic where you're riding on RNG's dick for a few matches.
Unless its in the case of a weaker unit with better growths and caps then other units you had gotten previously (they are called "ests" usually)
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

RebelINS

• Martial Expert
  • I am a rising contender, confident to win.
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 11:46:31 am »

The hell are you even referring to? Weapon proficiency? Supports?

[Royal Gay Penguin Nachos Ibarra Gordita Agave] LC

• actually no one complained about me stretching the screen in the first place
  • 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
  • but you're still assholes
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 11:57:13 am »

speaking of Lunatic I actually managed to get to Chapter 5 so I'm able to use the DLC if I choose to lol

Honestly Chapter 3 was exceedingly hard but MOSTLY fair and Chapter 4 only took a couple tries; I actually enjoyed them both. But Chapter 5 is starting to slip back into luck-based territory which is irritating. There's times where you have to hit on ~65-70% chance attacks on the sword users to have any chance to not get overrun and have someone killed. It's especially irritating with the Wyvern Riders whom you have to rely on doubling up with Elwind. I have caved a little and bought Celica's Gale with those points you accumulate from previous playthroughs but that's all. I may eventually give in and just grind the DLC.

These are still nothing compared to what Chapter 2 was which, again, I only beat through sheer luck and that's how you're FORCED to do it.

I really thought I was going to be super fucked with Paralogue 1 because I was like "oh FUCK I have to get a level on Donnel in fucking Lunatic" but then I realized I can just block an archer in so he can't move away to attack and repeatedly smack him to level him up. Also thankfully the Thief that steals the Rescue staff is kilalble on the first turn by Fredrick, who gives a shit about the one that steals a Killer Lance?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:59:03 am by [Royal Gay Penguin Nachos Ibarra Gordita Agave] LC »
morally [incest] is around the same level as what gay marriage is today
shoulda let LC barf on him

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 12:06:17 pm »

There's times where you have to hit on ~65-70% chance attacks on the sword users to have any chance to not get overrun and have someone killed.
I feel like this is not that bad. Sword users (particularly myrmidons and mercenaries) have good skill, luck, and speed. So it is understandable you don't have the guaranteed hit. Those percentages are pretty normal against hard mode sword users throughout the series. However I have not yet played Awakening, so I probably do not have the full picture here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:06:59 pm by McD. Intel Guard »
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 12:21:30 pm »

There's times where you have to hit on ~65-70% chance attacks on the sword users to have any chance to not get overrun and have someone killed.
I feel like this is not that bad. Sword users (particularly myrmidons and mercenaries) have good skill, luck, and speed. So it is understandable you don't have the guaranteed hit. Those percentages are pretty normal against hard mode sword users throughout the series. However I have not yet played Awakening, so I probably do not have the full picture here.

Well it's not just one hit, it's 3 or possibly 4 in some situations, each at 65-70%. The swordsmsmen can double up and kill virtually anyone but Fredrick, Chrom, and occasionally Kellam(who is just worthless right now) and the way they're positioned leaves you virtually no wiggle room.

Here's a good playthrough of Chapter 5. I've tried it a different way by holding the line up top and killing those 4 units below in the open, but they are simply too powerful to kill that way and still be able to secure the top. Even when I can Rescue Mirabelle, Fredrick or anyone else holding that chokepoint will get overrun because the Mages do obscene damage with Nosferatu/Elfire and the Steel weapon users will deal significant damage to even Fredrick(Awakening's sorta-jagen). You then have to continue to hold the top choke point while the Wyvern Riders(who uses Axes which I hate) come down and start wreaking havoc. Note his avatar has slightly better accuracy than mine even with the same pairings, I think I got some bad level-ups :( he also gets some pretty good luck with misses and good Dual Attack/Guard triggers

EDIT: OK apparently he fed his avatar a lot more than I did with some extra risk-taking in other chapters.

Fire Emblem: Awakening Lunatic Chapter 5: The Exalt and the King
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:31:01 pm by [Royal Gay Penguin Nachos Ibarra Gordita Agave] LC »

Sergeant Brown

• Seasoned Member
  • I don't know what to poot here.
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 03:35:11 pm »

The hell are you even referring to? Weapon proficiency? Supports?
You know how in FFT you get Job Points, obtainable per every useful action you do, that you can later use to unlock new skills, whether they be attacks or self-supportives? For every job you unlock, you get a set amount of JP to spend on its skills, but if you want to get the most efficiency out of one job, by getting more skills, you have to grind. Skills you've gotten on one job can be carried to another, and you need a set amount of job levels (achieved with JP) to unlock more jobs.

I guess "effective" wasn't the word I was looking for. What I meant was -and this comes from someone who's never touched FE at all- that if they're both the same genre then maybe they have the same system of "Grind fields so you get more 'options' for your characters".
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:35:37 pm by Sergeant Brown »

THE PERPETUAL CHAIN REACTION OF "DR. ROBOTONIK" DRINK!

notarctic

• just arctic, what gives?
  • 👎👀 bad aim ba̷̶ ԁ aIm 👎 thats❌ some bad 👎👎aim
    • arcticland
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 05:40:21 pm »

Or you can do what I did in my first full playthrough of FFT:WoL, and have someone distract the enemy and tank damage, with another one healing and buffing him, a flanker going around to take out their healers, and someone to deal supportive damage from afar.

the first time i played was fire emblem 7 and i didnt know jack shit about how the game works so i basically had my marcus character at level 20 and all 3 lords at like level 10ish from grinding solely with marcus all the time
[1:37:51 PM] Derpduck: arctic u need to quote ppl that make shit posts in case they edit them
[4:20:15 PM] Rubeus Hashgrid: i cant discover anything fuck you imageshack

Trueblade

• Veteran Beta Tester
  • Ike is my spirit animal
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 05:57:12 pm »

I guess "effective" wasn't the word I was looking for. What I meant was -and this comes from someone who's never touched FE at all- that if they're both the same genre then maybe they have the same system of "Grind fields so you get more 'options' for your characters".
There's nothing really to grind for in most FE games aside from levels. Even then, a normal playthrough provides enough EXP for your units, as long as you're not trying to use everyone equally for some dubm reason.

The only thing that sounds close to what you're describing is reclassing units to get every available ability for a unit in Awakening.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:58:32 pm by Trueblade »

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 06:35:02 pm »

On another note, I'm at that point in SRT OG where every unit you have is merged with ten trillion other new units. Anyone else find that annoying? I had spent a lot of time working my team into something really good, and then I get 14 new units with better mechs and levels off the bat lol. It just makes me feel like I'm leaving a ton of hard work behind for easier options. A cursory look at the FAQs reveal a lot of these new characters are truly worth the while too lol. However since I've developed some character loyalty I'm not using most of em (I switched out my two-three stragglers for new guys tho) and still focusing on leveling up most of my original team. I'll play it as I see it, sometimes you get a case where your original dude cant keep up with enemy leveling and I gotta switch him/her out.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:36:00 pm by McD. Intel Guard »
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 08:10:27 pm »

The only thing FFTA has over FFT is viera death squads. Everything else is shit. Suck a cock meower
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

ZaSpai

• Ray Bann's Minion
  • "Eeh?! We're just allies!"
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 09:09:50 pm »

Oh man I loved SRT OG(+2), to be fair I also have the PS2 compilation (SRW OGs) and its sequel (OGG), the latter of which I haven't finished :drool: (they're both Japanese sadly)

Ryusei's route is thankfully easier than Kyosuke's so you made a good choice there

With regards to PP spending, I've always invested SP Regen to all pilots I use consistenly (sorry Radha) and then choose skills that are appropriate for the pilot.

I tend to just pile on the spirit point use for the early missions since you can usually get them done relatively quickly, but later on when to use them is a major factor in success (particularly for those Battle Masteries) or otherwise.

What's your current crew / mech status like Intel?
Right behind you when you most expect it | classicwell master race

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 10:21:49 am »

Since this is a blind run, I haven't really paid attention at all to skills and it's now fucked me over completely, possibly beyond saving. I've decided to grind some PP out of the stage which has the first appearance of the R-Gun Rivale so I can start trying to salvage this, otherwise I may just start over and refer to FAQs so I can build my pilots properly and learn to use EN/SP correctly. Kinda funny I was able to make it through most of this without it, but the Rivale just sunk in how fucking stupid I was with unit management.
"god is dead."♫♫♫

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 11:28:05 am »

The only thing FFTA has over FFT is viera death squads. Everything else is shit. Suck a cock meower

I forget why I never finished FFT

I know I got frustrated with some of the missions being dumb but I DID eventually beat them
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 35 queries.