August 25, 2019, 08:37:12 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.
Chat with us online! (or @irc.esper.net/#gg2)
Come Mumble with us!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: RPG/JRPG/SRPG/WRPG General Thread  (Read 5309 times)

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
RPG/JRPG/SRPG/WRPG General Thread
« on: January 20, 2014, 02:10:32 pm »

Use this thread to discuss really any sort of RPG video game: strategy and turn base, japanese, western, action, dungeon crawler.

For my part I have been working through a backlog of rpgs for the GBA, here's what I will be trying:

Super Robot Taisen OG
Super Robot Taisen OG2
Yggdra Union
Riviera
Tales of Phantasia
Tactics Ogre

I just started in on SRT OG, and it's like a more complex Fire Emblem to me. I chose Ryusei's route and it was pretty easy at first but with SRT OG the amount of unit management you need to do is insane. You have to use money to buff your mechs, or to buff your weapons and it all costs a ton, especially with the amount of units you get. You can also use "Pilot Points" to mess around with the stats of the pilot, which I think is more important even though they are increased normally with level-ups. Right now I am on Scenario 10 which is fucking me over with its overpowered boss (Tempest and his Guarlion-C) which can two-shot some of your characters. Will update you guys on progress later.

What kind of RPGS are you guys playing? Any suggestions? That brings me to the fact I will probably stream some of the games I play. So stay tuned for info on that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:26:20 pm by McD. Intel Guard »
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Meower

• Elder God tier or Fagthulu, the great
  • Community Manager
  • Went fat once, never went back
Re: RPG/JRPG/SRPG/WRPG General Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:16:07 pm »

Finally my time to shine

Other than that, I also played final fantasy tictac advanced and it's kinda fun when you get invested in building up your own tiny lil army to play in e-sports battles, but after a while it gets terribly tiresome to micromanage everything because of the menus and it drains a lot of the fun

Alma Elma

• BEWARE, I'M ON MY PERIOD
  • hhhhhhhhhhhhh
    • Steam Community Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:16:56 pm »

I asked for Final Fantasy 7 as a kid and got this and holy shit it is like the best :drool:

Also Disgaea 1/2 is pretty top tier.

I've got the Joy, the Joy deep in my heart. Joy, Joy, Joy.
Do you?

RebelINS

• Martial Expert
  • I am a rising contender, confident to win.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:19:27 pm »

You should try out Rebelstar: Tactical Command on GBA if you like SRPGs. It's like X-Com minus the base building and geoscape management. The characters have their own progression, personalities and unique stats, so it has that over X-Com (which is really about finding the best rookies/best psi abilities). It's also pretty short, but it can be challenging.

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 02:29:11 pm »

I asked for Final Fantasy 7 as a kid and got this and holy shit it is like the best :drool:

Also Disgaea 1/2 is pretty top tier.
PSX/PS2 got so many good games I am considering saving up for an old console for college so I can work in on some of them

(my computer prob couldnt handle decent emulation)

You should try out Rebelstar: Tactical Command on GBA if you like SRPGs. It's like X-Com minus the base building and geoscape management. The characters have their own progression, personalities and unique stats, so it has that over X-Com (which is really about finding the best rookies/best psi abilities). It's also pretty short, but it can be challenging.
oh shit nice, will try.

Finally my time to shine

Other than that, I also played final fantasy tictac advanced and it's kinda fun when you get invested in building up your own tiny lil army to play in e-sports battles, but after a while it gets terribly tiresome to micromanage everything because of the menus and it drains a lot of the fun
unit management is so crucial with srpgs you have to be able to have the patience for it to get full enjoyment of the game. I think part of the reason I've had trouble working with some of it is the original GBA fire emblems had no real unit managament period besides weapons/items/stat and class boosters. It is very easy to jump into.
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Alma Elma

• BEWARE, I'M ON MY PERIOD
  • hhhhhhhhhhhhh
    • Steam Community Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 02:31:48 pm »

PSX/PS2 got so many good games I am considering saving up for an old console for college so I can work in on some of them

(my computer prob couldnt handle decent emulation)
crappy computer can handle most PSX graphics (some transitions/"special effects" will probably lag you like crazy) but PS2 is nogo unless you got a pretty good computer.

I'd love to buy some old psx games but people want so much for them I just couldn't bring myself to buy it haha

I've got the Joy, the Joy deep in my heart. Joy, Joy, Joy.
Do you?

Meower

• Community Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 02:59:11 pm »

unit management is so crucial with srpgs you have to be able to have the patience for it to get full enjoyment of the game. I think part of the reason I've had trouble working with some of it is the original GBA fire emblems had no real unit managament period besides weapons/items/stat and class boosters. It is very easy to jump into.
part of the reason why I love Inazumas is because, aside from the fact item management is usually pretty light, you can have hundreds of different players all with different stats and specializations, and later ones let you modify those as well, so you can always roll the players you want the most (even the Complacent Gaming Syndrome part of it holds at the very least 100 characters), it's a shame level 5 still holds wifi battles on the "to do" list, vs matches turn into much more meta+strategy mindgames where the outcome of the game is determined each time out, it gets more similar to a football match than a soccer one but it's still great

Sergeant Brown

• Seasoned Member
  • I don't know what to poot here.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 03:43:51 pm »

*cough*WhyDidNoOneMentionGoldenSun*cough*

Also, should we merge Pokeymann thread with this? It is an RPG after all

THE PERPETUAL CHAIN REACTION OF "DR. ROBOTONIK" DRINK!

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 03:46:43 pm »

No lol, Pokemon is big enough to warrant its own thread.
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 03:49:36 pm »

Update, I beat Guarlion-C by surrounding him in the sea cause on the mountains he can dodge everything. Then you basically continually use accuracy/evasion skills and beating on him until youve ran out and then its all up to the sweet RNG gods to take the last bit of health off him. I basically let him wail away on someone till that unit was at critical enough hp he'd be targeted, then had it evade for his life while everyone else took potshots at Guarlion until he died lmfao.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:51:50 pm by McD. Intel Guard »
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Starky

• Seasoned Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 07:43:16 pm »

My favorite JRPGs are Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, Earthbound, and Mother 3.

I haven't really played a whole lot.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:44:31 pm by Starky »

notarctic

• just arctic, what gives?
  • 👎👀 bad aim ba̷̶ ԁ aIm 👎 thats❌ some bad 👎👎aim
    • arcticland
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 08:02:05 pm »

fire emblem anyone?
[1:37:51 PM] Derpduck: arctic u need to quote ppl that make shit posts in case they edit them
[4:20:15 PM] Rubeus Hashgrid: i cant discover anything fuck you imageshack

Meower

• Community Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 03:09:38 am »

fire emblem anyone?
I really like it, but I'm scrubshit at it, how do I fix this intel gourdo-sama

Theta Zero

• I've seen it.
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 03:46:00 am »

Well you kind of need to explain your problem. The basic strategy, however, is usually to form a defensive position and wait for the enemies to come to you, then break into offensive groups based around taking out targets before they can retaliate.

Stop highlighting things, you nerd.

Sergeant Brown

• Seasoned Member
  • I don't know what to poot here.
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 05:07:54 am »

Or you can do what I did in my first full playthrough of FFT:WoL, and have someone distract the enemy and tank damage, with another one healing and buffing him, a flanker going around to take out their healers, and someone to deal supportive damage from afar.

And if Fire Emblem's anything like FFT, then you'll need to grind for a while -not for actual exp points, but rather so your guys become more effective.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:09:42 am by Sergeant Brown »

THE PERPETUAL CHAIN REACTION OF "DR. ROBOTONIK" DRINK!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 36 queries.