March 01, 2021, 08:18:09 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Official Maps HD - ctf_conflict - STARTED  (Read 18983 times)

21Dan

Re: ctf_trueforthd_wip_2
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 04:45:44 am »

That's so awesome. 10/10

\esc144aAroundTheWorld\esca

• stinkier foot
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 04:49:35 am »

Ultimate Pheer

• Substituting accuracy with ENTHUSIASM!
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 08:22:59 am »

This is pretty. Very good.

11/10
More competent than you think; Less competent than you expect.

If you attempt to solve problems with fire, but find that fire does not, in fact, solve your problems, then clearly you just didn't use enough.

Agh

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
    • My maps
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 11:31:16 am »

Tease:

*Everything is subject to change
It's a bit too busy. GG2 is a game with a clean 8-bit-inspired look.
Actually the spawn room looks nice, but the corridor above it is pretty ugly.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:33:11 am by Agh »

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 11:34:17 am »

Adding on to what agh said, steampunkfort is a good example of getting away with using way too much noise, IMO. There are actually only a handful of colors used, and anywhere that there are a lot of overlapping lines, he goes easy on other effects or reduces the contrast. You're definitely going for a more fleshed out look than him, so the lighting you have is find, but it's clashing with the wall boards up there because they're so noisy.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Nova

• Seasoned Member
  • Personal Text
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 12:54:27 pm »

My question is why is there a minecart and gold on top of the base?

Dronery

• █Goodbye█
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 05:07:35 pm »

It's a bit too busy. GG2 is a game with a clean 8-bit-inspired look.
Actually the spawn room looks nice, but the corridor above it is pretty ugly.
Adding on to what agh said, steampunkfort is a good example of getting away with using way too much noise, IMO. There are actually only a handful of colors used, and anywhere that there are a lot of overlapping lines, he goes easy on other effects or reduces the contrast. You're definitely going for a more fleshed out look than him, so the lighting you have is find, but it's clashing with the wall boards up there because they're so noisy.
Yeah, I see your points. It does look messy. I wanted an aged look for the wood ideally. But, while making that part, I had to tone down the saturation and change colors of that part because the background was conflicting with the wallmask. I'll see if I can clean up that part.

Adding on to this, I need some opinions on these sections:

Opinions are great.

My question is why is there a minecart and gold on top of the base?
Those are actually supposed to be tools and straw, but I'll clean it up.

ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็

RebelINS

• Martial Expert
  • I am a rising contender, confident to win.
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 05:14:07 pm »

The outlines along the wallmask parts should be closer to black, or just darker in general. For example on the left, olive green tends to blend in with brown quite a bit. I would personally hue shift it over to blue a bit for better contrast.

Nova

• Seasoned Member
  • Personal Text
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 11:47:46 pm »

Left one sould be more "indoory" like the spawm and flag place. Right is cool.

Dronery

• █Goodbye█
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 06:09:31 pm »

The outlines along the wallmask parts should be closer to black, or just darker in general. For example on the left, olive green tends to blend in with brown quite a bit. I would personally hue shift it over to blue a bit for better contrast.
Thanks for the tip, it's looking a bit better.

Left one sould be more "indoory" like the spawm and flag place. Right is cool.
Alright, I'll see what I can do.

ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็

Dronery

• █Goodbye█
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 09:55:44 pm »

New Update:

The top has been cleaned up. However, still debating on the colors.

Opinions are still welcome.

RebelINS

• Martial Expert
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 10:35:27 pm »

The darker outlines are excellent. It really helps with differentiating the walkable parts from the background (even though it's truefort and everyone who's played the game should know by now what the map is). A lot of custom maps have questionable coloring in that everything is hard to tell apart.

I honestly think that you should push for a lighting system to be put in the game.

One problem, which might be unavoidable, is that the color of the courtyard ramps/platforms are very similar to the long bar at the top. The latter is not part of the wallmask. It's not a big deal because it's pretty fucking obvious that you can't collide with it. It's more of a consistency thing.

Dronery

• █Goodbye█
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 08:06:10 pm »

The darker outlines are excellent. It really helps with differentiating the walkable parts from the background (even though it's truefort and everyone who's played the game should know by now what the map is). A lot of custom maps have questionable coloring in that everything is hard to tell apart.

I honestly think that you should push for a lighting system to be put in the game.

One problem, which might be unavoidable, is that the color of the courtyard ramps/platforms are very similar to the long bar at the top. The latter is not part of the wallmask. It's not a big deal because it's pretty fucking obvious that you can't collide with it. It's more of a consistency thing.
Thanks.

In my dreams, this would make save me so much time. However, would probably be near completely useless for mappers who want a simple style and probably slow down the game.

I tried to fix the bars at the top of the silos, but the sky is making it contrast a lot. I'll try to learn Photoshop to make a background later. I'm questioning if I should change the stairway. Also, I'm a bit confused on what to do on the right-side of the pipe because I think it won't feel matched up.

RebelINS

• Martial Expert
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 08:34:47 pm »

The pillow shading in the basement is kind of gross. The reason it isn't as apparent in the rest of the bg is because there are consistent light sources (ie. lamps, sunlight). There is no visible light sources in the basement, which make the lighter centers look odd. I can see that you tried to make the light source the ambient light from the openings on both sides though. In that case, you should have the shading follow that logic, instead of just darkening the same pattern along the wall.

Another thing about the left side basement exit (as pictured): the angle of the shadow should follow from the end of ceiling downwards, instead of just intersecting the corners. This is because of the light from the center of the map, and would cast a shadow along the wall.

The courtyard corner ramp could be made into non-wooden stairs, and just fill in the open spot. Functionally, there's no way to even get in that little space. The only thing with that change is that it wouldn't be faithful to the TF2 map design. But then again, who gives a shit about that when we could just develop a unique style.

Dronery

• █Goodbye█
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 09:22:59 pm »

The pillow shading in the basement is kind of gross. The reason it isn't as apparent in the rest of the bg is because there are consistent light sources (ie. lamps, sunlight). There is no visible light sources in the basement, which make the lighter centers look odd. I can see that you tried to make the light source the ambient light from the openings on both sides though. In that case, you should have the shading follow that logic, instead of just darkening the same pattern along the wall.

Another thing about the left side basement exit (as pictured): the angle of the shadow should follow from the end of ceiling downwards, instead of just intersecting the corners. This is because of the light from the center of the map, and would cast a shadow along the wall.

The courtyard corner ramp could be made into non-wooden stairs, and just fill in the open spot. Functionally, there's no way to even get in that little space. The only thing with that change is that it wouldn't be faithful to the TF2 map design. But then again, who gives a shit about that when we could just develop a unique style.
How about this?

Hmm, I'll think of something then to add more contrast.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 35 queries.