February 23, 2020, 07:18:05 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.
Chat with us online! (or @irc.esper.net/#gg2)
Come Mumble with us!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: INTEL GUARD'S GUIDE TO PLAYING THE GAME [u/c]  (Read 4190 times)

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
INTEL GUARD'S GUIDE TO PLAYING THE GAME [u/c]
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:13:32 am »

INTEL GUARD'S GUIDE TO PLAYING THE GAME*

(*Because nobody liked my pretentious heavily worded metagame guide)

THE ULTIMATE RESOURCE FOR NEW PLAYERS!

Table of Contents
Use your browser's search function (ctrl+f, etc.) to easily find the different sections!

1. Intro
1a. Why you should listen to me [WHYLIS] :c8:
1b. Why you should trust your own instincts too [INSTOO]
:c8:

2. Basics
2a. The actual game [THEGAM] :c8:
2b. The classes [THECLS] :x27:

- Runner [THERUN] :c8:
- Firebug [THEFIR] :c8:
- Rocketman [THEROC]
- Overweight [THEOVE]
- Detonator [THEDET]
- Constructor [THECON]
- Healer [THEHEA]
- Rifleman [THERIF]
- Infiltrator [THEINF]
- Quote/Curly [THEQUE]

2c. The game-modes [GAMMOD] :x27:
2d. Lingo you should know [LINKNW]
:c8:

3. How To Stop Sucking
3a. Lag [LAGSRV] :c8:
3b. Common mistakes and how to fix them [COMMIS]
3c. What classes you should be playing [CLSPLY]
3d. Why you shouldn't get worked up over this game [MADGAM]
3e. Basics on how to be a pro [BASPRO]

4. The Next Level
4a. Cool stuff you can do [COLSTF]
4b. Cool strategies you can use [COLSTR]
4c. Chat [SRVCHT]

5. Outro
5a. This game is not dead but it will be if you don't at least try to play it [PROGG2]
5b. Contact me [INTGRD]

Intro

WHY YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO ME

[WHYLIS]

If you are just getting into the colorful world of Gang Garrison 2 then this guide will provide you with a framework on how to become a quote unquote MLG PLAYER. Not really, but it will teach you how to become "good at the game." Becoming good at this game requires a basic grasp of fundamentals and concepts sometimes obvious, sometimes not so obvious, sometimes HOLY SHIT THIS IS OBVIOUS BUT NOBODY SEES IT. Once you master these ideas I guarantee you there will be a noticeable increase in how well you play, at least relative to how bad some players are (WITHOUT THE PROPER FUNDAMENTALS) in public matches. Being good entails that you are helping your team towards the overall objective, so that they achieve that objective, while still killing people and dying less. Being good does NOT entail going into the bro lounge and acting like a douche because you topped a scoreboard after three rounds of dirtbowl even though you were probably meatshotted countlesss times and lost the match. With this guide, hopefully the distinction becomes clear and we get some more common sense, great players in the community.

You should listen to my words because contrary to what you might think, this game is a) not dead, b) worth playing at least a couple times in your life, c) extremely fun and d) can be competitive and refreshingly skill-based. I've played the game about 4 years so I pretty much know what I'm talking about when I talk about things. It's really easy to become a "pro" at this game, because of how simple the format of the game is. Don't listen to jerks, with no posts or 5000 posts, who call newbies braindead and complain all day about how good they are in relevance to public players. The fact is they started out just as goddamn terrible as they were, and all they did was learn some basic concepts. Some of them are not even as good as they purport to be, which means once you learn this stuff you could probably very easily body them. You don't need any sort of innate talent to become pro and there is definitely no huge skill gap. The only thing you need is an open mind, the acceptance you may suck at first, and the free time.

Why you should trust your own instincts too

[INSTOO]

Reading guides are great and all, but there is no better teacher than yourself. Stuff like the things you'll read in this guide is easily learned though a little trial and error. Practice makes perfect. It WILL become second nature over time. But to have the tools you need to know they are there. Once you know they are there, the rest is really up to you. I didn't become good reading a guide to a game like this, and neither will you. They sure as hell helped me out though.

Either way, common sense and your instincts will go a long way. They are pretty much half the battle if you want to become super mlg pro. This game isn't truly that deep enough where time should be devoted solely to researching and internalizing game theory. My one biggest piece of advice to you dewey eye newbies out there: get out there on those shitty servers and play. Lead by example and take the big risks and learn from them. Also try not to get mad at things that usually make you mad because that seriously hampers anyone who plays. If you get mad, you will probably end up sucking more, which will only make you more mad.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayP-s0v4Qcs
ex. 1: What you will end up being

Now let's get started with the guide. I'll try and provide visual aids and make the text short so you don't get bored too quickly. Shoutouts to the people who inspired me to make this guide: Haxton Sale, Lil B, May, and God. Let's learn some shit.

The Basics

The actual game

[THEGAM]

Gang Garrison 2 is a 2D, sidescrolling, team-based shooter... blah blah you already know all this shit. What you don't know is the game is currently NOT TEAM-BASED!! What? How could this game purport to be team-based yet not actually be team-based? The simple answer is because nobody want to be part of their team. That's right, if you've played any public Gang Garrison at all, you'll see pretty much the same situation regardless of the server or player cap. It's an every man for himself free-for-all! And I don't blame these poor saps. It's a game made to be played FOR FUN. FOR FUN is the excuse used for almost everything that happens during pub games. FOR FUN is the name of the game, not Gang Garrison 2. While FOR FUN is great and all, the game has suffered accordingly. Instead of trying to create an enjoyable team-based experience, many people under the banner of FOR FUN just do whatever the fuck they want and ruin it for everyone else. Yes, the game is made to be played FOR FUN but no, the game is not meant to be played like a brainless douche.

There's a couple reasons for the FOR FUN phenomona, and they are all legitimate reasons why I don't blame people for playing the way they do:

• Bad/Lack of servers
  • Other bad players
  • Arena/Generator/Dkoth Mode
  • Bad maps
  • Chat
  • It's not an exciting game after awhile

Luckily, there are remedies to everything but the last one (lol.) The main point is yes, the game is FOR FUN. But you can have fun and still be good at the game, and then you don't have to use FOR FUN as an excuse for why you cost your team a game! This is pretty much one of the biggest steps to becoming MLG PRO at the game.

:x11: :x12: :x13: :x14: :x15: :x16: :x17: :x18: :x19: :quote:
The classes

[THECLS]

You all know, or should know the drill with the classes of this game. There are 9 original/primary classes in the game, each stripped down versions of their Team Fortress 2 counterparts. They can be split up into 3 subsections: Offense, Support and Defense. Each class within these subsection generally fulfills the job description they are assigned, but this game gives you a lot of breathing room when it comes to how you use a certain class. Think about how bare-bones, how basic this game and it's mechanics are. It forces improvisation! You can do tons of shit with just a few tools. That is to say, there are offensive, support and defensive applications to every class. In public games, this is important because you are oftentimes thrown into a situation where you'll have to defend with an offense or support class, or vise versa. It pays to know that there are different ways to play each class. For example, a constructor can be played offensively, and in some cases do a lot more for their team then they would do camping in one spot near the point/intel. Sometimes, playing a class differently is the key to your team's victory. Think of how many game losing backcaps could be stopped if the runner just took a moment to backtrack and stop them rather than always pressing forwards. Oh, by the way, there is a tenth class. He's from Cave Story and he does a lot of things, so I'll cover him too.

Because of this whole "do a lot with just a little" mentality you all should be adopting, it is naturally counter-intuitive to "main" a class. Now, before all the knee-jerk reactions to this, let me explain myself. I am talking mostly about public games. Everyone will have a class they excel at, and in gg2's sparse competitive environment that is excellent for teambuilding. However, in public matches, the situation and map are always changing. It does your team no good for you to constantly play detonator every round, just racking up kills on lesser players, when a detonator is not needed. You should be trying out all the classes, and putting in the time with each when necessary. It not only makes you a more well-rounded, team oriented player; it also makes you die less, because sometimes a class just does no good in a certain situation no matter how godlike you are with it. If there is a sniper on ctf_classicwell, no amount of godlike runner dancing ability will help you unless you ca get in close. It's time for you to try alternate approaches, like infiltrator (whom you can still dance with, and cuts the trouble of getting in close by half! Fucking genius.)

With Gang Garrison 2, classes can be explained thoroughly simply by listing the following: advantages (what they do good,) disadvantages (what they do bad,) teamwork (what they do to help their team,) and matchups (what they do against others.) Break it down to this bread and butter, and you'll find the classes a lot more clear cut, and you're also armed with a lot more knowledge on how they can be used. You can score a lot more points and die way less if you know what you're working with rather than just blindly feeling through the basics. I'll break it all down and provide the most important information with each class. Also you should pay a lot of attention to the teamwork section, because teamwork is the essence of pro play in Gang Garrison.

Offense

Runner :x11:
Health: 100 / DPS: 48 or 96 / M2: Double Jump
[THERUN]

(click to show/hide)

Firebug :x12:
Health: 120 / DPS: ??? (Flares are 15 + afterburn damage) / M2: Airblast (Holding m1 + m2 shoots a flare)
[THEFIR]

DISCLAIMER: RIGHT NOW FIREBUG IS BAD DAMAGE OUTPUT WISE, HE VERY WELL MAY HAVE BEEN BUFFED BY THE TIME YOU NEXT READ THIS. IF THAT IS THE CASE, PLEASE NOTE THESE STRATEGIES ABSOLUTELY 100% STILL APPLY. WHAT I'VE WRITTEN HERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN STAPLE FIREBUG STRATEGY. IF HE DOES GET SOME UNGODLY BUFF, CONTACT ME AND I WILL REWRITE THIS SECTION. BUT EVERYTHING STILL APPLIES.

NEW DISCLAIMER: THE DEVS FINALLY BUFFED HIM, SO I HAVE UPDATED WITH AN EXTRA SECTION ON POST-BUFF FIREBUG STRATS. EVERYTHING IN THIS SECTION WAS WRITTEN WHEN HE WAS A BAD CLASS, BUT IT ALL APPLIES

(click to show/hide)

Rocketman :x13:
Health: / DPS: 55 (25 direct, 30 splash) / M2: None
[THEROC]

(click to show/hide)

Defense

Overweight :x14:
Health: / DPS: 120 / M2: Sandwich
[THEOVE]

(click to show/hide)

Detonator :x15:
Health: / DPS: Up to 90 / M2:
Constructor :x17:
Health: / DPS: / M2:

Support

Healer :x16:
Rifleman :x19:
Infiltrator :x18:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:47:44 pm by McD. Intel Guard »
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
Re: INTEL GUARD'S GUIDE TO PLAYING THE GAME [u/c]
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:14:21 am »

The Gamemodes

[THEGAM]

Like any e-sports worthy game, Gang Garrison 2 has multiple different ways to play it. Each has their own win condition and a variety of maps (some good, some terrible.) I took the liberty of ordering them based on how common and important they are below. Green denotes our "big three," aka our most popular gamemodes. Orange are less popular gamemodes but still show up a decent amount of times and are good to learn the nuances of. The modes in Red are there cause they never show up. One of them is there for a really good reason (generator sucks) but the other is still worth looking at. If you want to become a good player you must know all of these gamemodes. I will provide brief overview/tips for each below. Every mode requires teamwork to play effectively.

• Capture The Flag (CTF)
(click to show/hide)
  • King of the Hill (KotH)
(click to show/hide)
  • Control Point (CP)
(click to show/hide)
  • Attack/Defense CP (A/D CP)
(click to show/hide)
  • Dual King of the Hill (DKotH)
(click to show/hide)
  • Arena
(click to show/hide)
  • Generator (Gen)
(click to show/hide)

Lingo you should know

[LINKNW]

Here are a bunch of terms I have mentioned here or may have been mentioned around the forums. I'll include some visual aids to some of them, but most of them speak for themselves. If you ever need a dictionary to refer back to, this is the place. I'll update it a lot as new terminology arises! Also, feel free to tell me stuff that should be included in here. A lot of it is just popular in-game terminology. There's some joke-y stuff as well. One step to becoming mlg pro is to become acquainted with the game culture. This will hopefully help. 

(click to show/hide)

How to Stop Sucking

Lag

[LAGSRV]

One of the major complaints people have about this game is "lag." People change their names, complain in chat, complain in the bro lounge, complain to me, their dogs, their mom about lag and desync. It's just a fact of the game the networking is subpar. I lag all the time, and it used to bother me a ton when I got into a server with a bunch of good players and end up getting bodied by mysterious earthquakes. So yeah, lag is a good reason why  some people seem to suck. It can stem from everything; be it a bad computer or internet connection, or just your physical location. The first hurdle in not sucking to get over is dealing with lag.

The obvious first choice is changing servers. Just pay attention to that little ping counter, which iirc was finally fixed after god knows how long, and if it's in the green (or maybe the yellow) you should be fine. Note that the connection will get more stressed as more players join the server. This is pretty much a constant with the game right now as we lack servers and the ones we do have fill up pretty fast. Usually you won't suffer that huge a connection problem with full servers if you didn't already suffer one in the first place.

If there is nowhere to turn to, it's time to pull out the coping methods. Most lag is bearable enough you can still play. If it's computer lag, turning down the settings (particles off, windowed mode, etc) can smooth the experience for you. GG2 is deceptively challenging to older computers, even though many people do not believe that is the case and often download this game simply because their computers are too crappy to handle other games. Check CPU usage. Try closing all those useless background applications too. Check if there is a source to your internet problems, as the lag can be client-sided; sometimes you may find that lots of other devices are eating up your net, or your router just sucks. If the lag is determined to be server-sided, bug the shit out of the host to see if they can't remedy it. If they can't, you're pretty much stuck.

To actually play in the lag, it's just a matter of playing lag-friendly classes. The defense and support classes; ones that don't require close combat or precision dancing or timing; are all good choices. Overweight, Constructor, Medic, revolver Infiltrator are all fine choices. Try to stay away from like Runner, Rocketman, Detonator or Rifleman. Mistakes with these classes are magnified in regular play, and lag tends to cause mistakes. You'll find the best way to deal with lag is just to play while doing minimal work. The key is just play more defensive classes, and more defensively in general. I can't really go into depth about anymore than I already have.

The final option is to turn the game off and try again later.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:43:14 am by McD. Intel Guard »
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:49:00 pm »

reserve
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:20:36 pm by McD. Intel Guard »
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:04:49 pm »

RESERVE
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:14:43 pm by McD. Intel Guard »
"god is dead."♫♫♫

notarctic

• just arctic, what gives?
  • 👎👀 bad aim ba̷̶ ԁ aIm 👎 thats❌ some bad 👎👎aim
    • arcticland
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:15:30 pm »

(some sort of phrase)
D: ITS ACRONYM! YOU DUMMY!
[1:37:51 PM] Derpduck: arctic u need to quote ppl that make shit posts in case they edit them
[4:20:15 PM] Rubeus Hashgrid: i cant discover anything fuck you imageshack

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:23:56 pm »

What the fuck are you talking about
"god is dead."♫♫♫

notarctic

• arcticland
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:22:56 pm »

oic (some sort of phrase): "Oh, I see."
[1:37:51 PM] Derpduck: arctic u need to quote ppl that make shit posts in case they edit them

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 10:26:54 pm »

nigga who cares
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Imp

• Seasoned Member
  • Very Berry Very Scary :0
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 10:31:10 pm »

Charlotte imma nitpick your nitpicking

Oh
I
Cee?
Swingin' Strawberry Banana|Banana Split|Strawberry Explosion|Strikin' Strawberry Kiwi|Rockin' Raspberry|Wild Watermelon

notarctic

• arcticland
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 10:34:28 pm »

Charlotte imma nitpick your nitpicking

Oh
I
Cee?
who says you cant misspell acronyms?

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 10:47:01 pm »

Please drop this conversation.
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Kairosh

• haidere
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 08:01:34 pm »

Awesome guide. Really helped me out.

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 10:01:32 pm »

Thanks. I'll be updating soon.
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 11:54:03 pm »

It was b43 you fat blunt
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

notarctic

• arcticland
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 02:12:57 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 35 queries.