June 16, 2019, 04:10:31 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat with us online! (or @irc.esper.net/#gg2)
Come Mumble with us!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Map Guide] Heavy Rain: A Guide to Sucking Less at Duck Hunt  (Read 2553 times)

Machidro

• 2013 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Gardicolo time is over.
[Map Guide] Heavy Rain: A Guide to Sucking Less at Duck Hunt
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:26:43 pm »

A Heavy in His Natural Habitat

Hey, heavy!

Do you like maps with fair and balanced gameplay, where the team who has more combat skill will ultimately win; with you leading the charge?

Well, that’s wonderful! I hope you have fun with-

Oh no.

This is isn’t a fair and balanced map at all!

Welcome to Duck Hunt.

The Madness Begins

Let’s get the obvious question out of the way right now: Why am I writing this guide?

Three reasons: one, because writing an in depth guide is fun. Two, because the haxxy awards are up and that’s as good an excuse as any.

Three, because you suck at Duck Hunt.

Yes, you! All of you!

What do I mean when I say that? I mean that collectively, the vast majority of you are, at best, playing duck hunt sub optimally, and at worse are playing in a way that defies comprehension. The latter group is beyond help, but for the rest of you, I feel that breaking down Duck Hunt into its constituent pieces will make it clear that if all else is equal, Duck Hunt is always within red's reach to win.

By that, I don’t mean you’re ensured to win. You’ll always have to work for it, and a good sniper team will make your life ten times harder. But if you follow this guide, even if you lost, it won’t have been for lack of trying or incompetence.  

BUT! Before we can teach you anything, you must first detox. You’ve been playing with pubs with less coordination than a fruit tart up to this point, and you’ve almost certainly picked up bad habits. We must nip those in the bud, right now. We’re going to start with the absolute most egregious tactical shortcomings and work our way to merely inferior strategies. Let’s do this.

Why You Suck

Jumping or attempting to attack across no man's land as red.

This is a special kind of lunacy, a fundamental misunderstanding of the mode's mechanics and goals.

For those who don't know, here's how duck hunt works: red spawns on the right side of the map in an airborne zeppelin. Blue spawns on the map’s left side. These two sides are separated by a pit filled with killboxes. Red is supposed to capture the three points on its side while being sniped at. Red literally cannot cross this pit, as player walls block the way across, but people like our heavy here won't let things like logic stop them. These player walls also prevent red from getting close enough to allow someone to output any damage levels that would kill a sniper. Don’t be this heavy. If you do this: stop being bad.

If you try jumping to the other side while playing blue, you're also doing it wrong. Yes, one of your teammates can get over as a scout with skillful maneuvering. Yes, he can kill a few heavies. No, it doesn’t help your team to have one less untouchable, high damage defender available for nearly half a minute while you screw around scaling the cliff. Go sniper and be a credit to team.

Trying to leave red's spawn as a class that isn't heavy.

This is slightly more logical; after all, the thought of having a medic or sniper out supporting red is pretty appealing. However, it’s not worth it. There are two obvious problems.

One, moveboxes are going to keep you from escaping the spawn area the vast majority of the time, which forces you to suicide and waste your team’s player slot and time.

Two, even if you could get out, you’re a marked man, and every sniper’s going to drop everything to fire at you. Good luck. Don't waste a slot dicking around trying to cheat the moveboxes, go heavy and be a credit to team.

Attempting to hide in the branch

So you've jumped as a heavy and you're now trying to cap, you’re semi competent. But there sure are a lot of snipers, and you’re taking hits, why not hide in the branch till backup arrives?

That's why.

The branch is a trap. The moment that sandwich breaks, snipers can negate whatever health gains you get in that branch, and waiting forces you to lose cap level. That’s a big deal: keeping the cap level from dropping, even if you probably wouldn’t survive long enough to actually raise it, is the most important factor in capturing a point.

Not dodging around in air

Unless you are facing a perfect team of snipers, the blue team will often miss. Since the first shot each sniper fires after a wave of heavies is the most damaging, avoiding it will drastically increases your effectiveness against an inept sniper team. Save that sandwich during your descent, don't eat. The sandwich, as we shall see, is your key to victory. One last failure trait, and what to do now that you know what not to do:

Refusing to accept your fate

An unfortunate fact red must accept is that there's no dodging five or more snipers on such an exposed cakewalk for more than a few seconds on your own, even with the branch, your wits, and your sandwich. You have to accept that there's no alternative but death, you are ensured to die the moment you leave the zeppelin and there's little you can do. All other problems listed above are just variations on this singular point. You’ve got two goals on any jump: add to that cap rate, and keep as many heavies alive as you can while doing so (including yourself, if you can).

Remember: if you can cap, you can win, and the first point’s hardest, since it takes longest.

So now that you’re competent, it’s time to introduce our optimal strategy for raising the cap rate, which can be summed up in the acronym “GJ, WiSaHs”

What the hell am I talking about? Group jumps with sandwich and health switching. Why an acronym? Just ‘cause.

The Optimal Strategy

1. Jump as a group with at least two or three people. This increases confusion, and distributes damage more or less equally during your fall.

2. Once you've landed, do some dodging. A few seconds later, the most leftward man is to pull out his sandwich and eat. The other men are to get as far into his sprite as they can without exposing themselves and use him as a barricade.

3. As his sandwich begins to finish, or when his health is tanking southward, the highest healthed heavy is to step forward and begin his sandwich, with the others hiding inside him.

4. New reinforcements just jumping down are to land left of the line to reinforce those already in place and to divert shots to the healthy. Maintain this rotation pattern.

5. Once you are within a few seconds of being captured, everyone is to pull out the sandwich and eat, ensuring a successful mission

Why this strategy?

We know we can't dodge shots by hiding or jumping about. We can't hurt the enemy. And we can't take the game to them by denying their sniping area. So eat that sandwich! It’s your best chance, getting slightly better at cheating death is the only path to victory.

Congratulations. You now know how to suck less at Duck Hunt; It’s less what you do and more what you don’t. Good luck, and happy hunting!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:26:05 pm by Machidro »
A CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED.

Catman

• The Argumental
  • Veteran Member
  • Take on me
    • Yuki Yuki Yuki
Re: [Map Guide] Heavy Rain: A Guide to Sucking Less at Duck Hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:32:51 pm »

Where do I shout Jason?
My style is the best...
...so I challenge you!

Machidro

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:29:35 pm »

Shortly after shouting Shawn.

Nova

• Seasoned Member
  • Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:50:05 pm »

:x25:

Your tactics are now invalid.
But yeah, usually just creating a blob of sandvich eaters makes you get a point.

Machidro

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 04:54:25 pm »

I was considering putting a blob of text about them in.

Tl;Dr, cap before they get their bearings and figure out their aim, and if it comes down to it, go so far as to kill yourself before you let them see heavies in their kill log, once they know they've got the right spot, heavies are in trouble.

Also, since countering their trap laying strategy involve dodging the area (into sniper fire) without sandwiches, it pretty much just comes back to accepting your fate; just work through his damage output till you cap.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:54:55 pm by Machidro »

Nova

• Seasoned Member
  • Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 05:20:24 pm »

Include this in the guide as a warning.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:20:46 pm by Nova »

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 05:25:08 pm »

since when did this map get popular again
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Nova

• Seasoned Member
  • Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 05:26:23 pm »

It didn't really.
It was popular around spring and I hope we finished it for this year.

t~

• Seasoned Member
  • BOUTTA GET BANNED BY INTEL 5/1/2016
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 05:26:40 pm »

This is an old screenie isn't it?

But anyway, I'm pretty sure you can get out of the balloon as any class now as BLU. At least that's how it has been the last few times ice played it. :z4:
if you dont want to be here stop being a petulant child and posting. just log off. nobody cares about the point yure trying to make, least of all me. instead of giving you the satisfaction of being banned ill just delete all your shitposts/derails for now. enjoy wasting your time.

when baby boy intel is cry and mad ://

Machidro

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 05:31:54 pm »

It comes back in waves.

But anyway, I'm pretty sure you can get out of the balloon as any class now as BLU. At least that's how it has been the last few times ice played it. :z4:

You can get out with any class with timed jumps. It's pretty silly to do so, as the guide points out.

Nova

• Seasoned Member
  • Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 05:39:00 pm »

(picture)

Yeah it was from Digit (who deleted his account btw) on page~20 of the Bro Lounge.

Jack Dalton

• salty cowboy
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 05:57:12 pm »

You can get out as any class by spawning on the right, dropping down, simply walking over to the pipe, and jumping up. Since this is possible, I recommend having 1 scout per group that drops down to boost the cap rate significantly. Just make sure he's protected. Storing up an uber as a medic to jump down and be an 8 second impenetrable shield is also a good strategy.

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 06:48:01 pm »

BTW, not to discredit you or anything, it's a well-written guide to be sure but its thoroughly useless. This map is something only hosted on public servers with varying amounts of players from different areas. You wrote the guide from the standpoint of working as an entire team, which I can guarantee doesn't help because it would be hard to relay instructions like this to your team via chat as the map timer is going. Also there is the fact probably no pubs will read this guide. Coordinating something like this works in theory but not in practice. The branch section was a good tip though.

Overall an admirable effort and quite a novelty but little more :P
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Machidro

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 07:42:37 pm »

First, thank you for the compliments. It took me a while to write this and it feels good when the effort pays off.

For the same reason I wouldn't call your newbie guy useless based on small viewership in the target demographic, I don't believe my guide is useless; I think it's merely more niche.

Also, keep in mind that not all forumers may be extensively familiar with this guide's info. Although pubs are unlikely to read it, forumers who gain something from it may be able to use its info to educate on an actual public Duck Hunt server through chat. No argument that most pubs won't listen, but if some of them do and red can potentially pull a win because of it, was it really useless? Personally, I don't think so.

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 08:11:32 pm »

Hey, I agree my guides really niche for those exact reasons, but I still think my tips would be of use to the average forumer. I guess the same applies to your guide as well- I just think it's /so/ niche, it's not really useful. I'm sorry (I know this is surprising coming from me lol) for calling it "thoroughly" useless, wrong choice of words.

Still I think the whole Heavy sacrifical lamb chain tactic, while novel and viable if done correctly, is just a bit too complicated to coordinate. A lot of pubs can't seem to comprehend basic meta like that lol for various, acceptable reasons.

I feel like if you wrote map guides for actual maps that don't suck like Duck Hunt, it would be godlike. Just by virtue of the fact that strategies on more straightforward and legit maps are easier to put into practice even with pubs and a shitty chat.
"god is dead."♫♫♫
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 36 queries.