December 06, 2019, 08:01:27 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.
Chat with us online! (or @irc.esper.net/#gg2)
Come Mumble with us!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [Clan Guide] - [B.illy S.O.D.] - [HOW TO HAVE A MAGICAL WAR]  (Read 2905 times)

B.illy S.O.D.

• Ray Bann's Minion
  • LIKE A BOSSUN!! :P

RIDING ON A LEGION OF DOUBLE-HORNED UNICORNS OVER THE GOLDEN, BUTTERY STREETS OF POST-APOCALYPTIC ANTARCTICA:
HOW TO HAVE A Magical WAR

I'm doing this little guide on planning wars because Dan asked for my opinion on how wars should be done to mitigate messups. I've read RBY's "How to do a war: The newcomers guide" in the Dead Clans section and in my opinion it just doesn't match today's standards for the actual planning/putting together of these wars that shouldn't be THAT hard to perform. This deals more with the actual planning of the war than the technical stuff. I've split this up into three parts: before, during, and after a war. The main goal of this entire block of text is this:

HOW TO COMPLETE A WAR AS FAST AND EFFICIENT AS POSSIBLE.

DISCLAIMER >>> DIRECT SHOTS ARE MADE AT SPECIFIC ACTIONS DONE/THINGS SAID. I'M USING THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE USEFUL TO CONVEY MY POINT. ALL OF THIS IS FROM A PURELY OBJECTIVE STANDPOINT SO I'M NOT BEING MEAN, OKAY? WE (including myself) CAN ALL GROW.

I. Before a war:

CLAN LEADER:
A) PLAN: To start setting up for a war you should obviously plan stuff first. First off all, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE IRC TO PLAN MAPS OR THE HOST OR CLASSESS, ETC. ALWAYS DO THIS DAYS/WEEKS IN ADVANCE. Now, WHY should you plan in advance? Despite the fact that throughout this guide I say to relatively do this by this or that by that (and even occasionally don't do what I say myself), it's notable that THE MORE YOU PLAN AND THE SOONER YOU FINISH PLANNING, THE BETTER IT IS; that's just common sense. This means that if unexpected things happen, you will have the flexibility to change it without spending hours on the IRC prepping up for what should only be an hour-or-less war. So then, WHAT should you plan for? The four main categories of things you should plan for a war are: 1) Date, Time, Map Rotation, Host Options, RED/BLU teams, IRC Channel(s), Mods, etc.; 2) Host; 3) Players and Classes; and 4) Usage of IRC and/or Chat. A little more detail on the four key components below.

1) Date, Time, Map Rotation (including intermission map), Host Options (cap limit, respawn time, player limit, etc.), RED/BLU teams, IRC Channel(s), Mods, etc.: First, find the match date and time with the other clan. This might take some tentative throwing around; therefore, try to suggest a date/time a few (1-3 are good numbers) weeks in advance. Also pass around map suggestions well in a week over and have the final rotation ready about a few days before the war starts (I usually do this in about 3 days). Same thing goes with everything else listed lel. Just work them out one by one with the opposing side. An easy and quick beforehand method to not be scrambling for maps or needed plugins, etc. on game day is to prepare a pre-copied/pasted document with all the final map/plugin links and server settings info ready to go. That way, if you end up having a backup host (or if someone misplaces/forgets the server info), YOU CAN IMPRESS THEM by just handing out easy-to-access links and info like a BOSSUN!!

2) Host: While you are discussing war preparations with the other team, also find the HOST. He is VERY important. While you're finding the main host, have a backup host in mind (I usually have 2) and personally contact him as well. Discuss with your hosts (including backups) information that they will need for the war and give them the map rotation/host options as soon as you have finalized them. Now that you have done all these wonderful things, guess what? YOU HAVE ACTUALLY CONFIGURED ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECTS OF A WAR IN ADVANCE. THIS EQUALS LESS TIME IN IRC FIGURING OUT STUFF AND MORE TIME PLAYING.

Another thing to consider for absolute war efficiency is PRE-TESTING THE SERVER (even backups!) BEFOREHAND (relatively 1 day in advance) with ALL the finalized host options present. Depending on the host (if they just hosted yesterday then I'm pretty sure they can tomorrow), you can skip this step; however, keep in mind that there's always that 30% (yes, 30%) chance that the server doesn't appear in the lobby or something else goes wrong on game day. Just do it if they haven't served in a while or whatnot or if you wanna be 1000% (yes, these numbers are completely accurate) sure they will be able to serve on war date.

3) Players/Classes and Rounds Line-Up (if needed): HAVE ALL YOUR PLAYERS AND CLASSES CONFIGURED BEFORE THE WAR STARTS. This means EVERYBODY INCLUDING BACKUPS. DON'T JUST LEAVE SOMETHING LIKE: "HURR WE ARE GUNNA BE HAVING WAR BE DAR" ON THE CLAN THREAD. GET ON THEIR BACKS. PM THEM PERSONALLY. GET RESPONSES FROM PEOPLE. Don't wait until game day to figure out who's playing or who's playing what either. If you have 10 people who want to play, split the entire team among the total rounds you will be having. Also PM each player the classes they will be playing in addition to their round assignments.

Players showing up is also an obvious concern. They may say they can come but then the unexpected happens, and on game day, you'll be frantically scared outta yo wits trying to find subs. So what do you do to prevent this predicament? HAVE BACKUPS HANDY FOR EMERGENCY PURPOSES/ANYONE WHO HAS MADE IT CLEAR THAT THEY MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO COME/ANYBODY WHO YOU THINK MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO COME. Although having a backup for everyone playing is the ultimate optimal solution to having a war no matter the condition (and backups for the backups just for the lulz), having at least 2-3 on-hand people (whether in the clan or not) to backup is always the best general thing to do (that's what I do). Configure your backups' classes/rounds and PM them that info as well.

Tell your people about the war--ALOT. Make sure they don't forget it's happening/what they're supposed to play. If you have planned in advance [especially WELL in advance, like 2-3 weeks or more ("or more" here is not really recommended unless you feel like Shikamaru incarnate without the laziness)], remind them that there's a war coming up sometime close to the actual game date; they probably won't remember if you don't. Again, personally PM any info (like arrival time, server password, IRC channel, etc.) that players/backups/hosts need to know beforehand. Make players arrive in advance of the start time (I usually do 30 mins tho you might go within a range from 15 mins to an hour, FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF). This means that once you are in IRC, all you have to do is reiterate WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN DRILLING INTO THEIR SKULLS FOR 4 WEEKS STRAIGHT (Heh, "for" "4" weeks. Pure genius.). Remember that everything you organize on IRC IS PRECIOUS MINUTES WASTED IN WHICH YOU COULD BE FRAGGING AND OWNING.

4) IRC/Chat: With the recent addition of the chat plug-ins, we now will have to plan if during a war you're gonna use a) IRC only or b) IRC and chat. If it's all IRC then it's k. It's a good idea to have three basic channels, one for each team and a joint channel for inter-clan use. (If desired, you can have the clan leaders and host in the joint channel only and everyone on their respective team channels.) If you're going to use chat as well, however, I would recommend just leaving the IRC once the game has started and going full chat since having two facets of communication divides the attention of people a lot when they are on different programs. (NOTE: YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE TEAM LINE-UP AND CLASSES DONE BEFORE SHOOTING UP THE SERVER; more stuff on this later.) Don't do chat only wars; that = no planning before the server boots up which = one giant mess. Might I add that presently, chat is entirely experimental and I haven't had that much experience with it, though it does seem viable. IRC only is still the standard means of communication (and a pretty good one at that). However, the benefits of chat are that it's an all-in-one application and most people will pay much better attention to chat than they will to IRC. Discuss this element with the other team (in advance as always) as well as notify your servers if chat is going to be used or not. Chat is still evolving, however, so we'll see where it goes.

B) Plan Backup Plans: ALWAYS have a backup plan. I'm not Batman, but seriously. EVERYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG, WILL GO WRONG. Have backup players, have backup hosts, have backup rosters--are you getting the idea? There is a flaw in all this planning, however: it is the fact that you must have a massive resource of hosts and players. Even I don't have as many players/hosts as I would like to have. The main point tho, is to plan for perfection as best you can. This is especially true for clans with few members/no backup members (course you could fetch people from the IRC or open servers lel). Regardless of your resource numbers, however, make your Plan A foolproof; cover for your weak points as much as possible. If Plan A doesn't work, you should have Plans B-Z already thought out and ready to be implemented. Planning might WILL take a bunch of work to get everything right, but that's what you should do CUZ YOU'RE THE LEADER.  

That said, don't think you have to do EVERYTHING by yourself. If things do start get too overwhelming for you, don't hesitate to assign available and trustworthy clan members or other people to help out with stuff such as picking map rotations, gathering members/hosts, greeting and directing incoming people to the correct IRC channels, organizing/leading certain groups, etc. Clan involvement is always good and especially helps to keep activity up.

PLAYERS AND HOSTS:
Members and hosts should also take responsibility and tell their leader if they can't make it to an event as soon as possible. When your clan leader posts an event, RESPOND. Don't just stay silent, POST CLEARLY ON THE THREAD. PM YOUR LEADERS BACK FOR ASSURANCE, WHETHER IT'S A YES OR EVEN A NO. As people who signed up for a clan, it is also imperative that you regularly inform yourself of current clan events. Doing these things immensely aids your leader in the PLANNING PROCESS. And seriously, they're really the only two things you have to do before the actual war (lucky kids :P).

II. During a war:

A) Clan War Procedure:

1) Show up.

2) Check into your respective IRC channels.

3) Discuss/organize in IRC.

Once players start arriving, clan leaders should start organizing their own teams and preparing the server with the host (BUT DO NOT LAUNCH THE SERVER). If you followed through with your planning, all you'll need to do is reiterate gameplay/classes, get backups if needed, or finish any other last min stuff (that you should have planned for).

As previously mentioned, while you're in the middle of organizing teams, DO NOT SET UP THE SERVER. NEVER EVER SET UP A SERVER BEFORE FINALIZING BOTH TEAM ROSTERS AND CLASSES. THIS ALWAYS DISTRACTS PEOPLE. THEY WILL LOUNGE AROUND DOING EVERYTHING BUT LISTENING TO YOU (hopefully this trend ends, but as of now, DON'T DO IT). THEREFORE, BOTH TEAMS MUST BE COMPLETELY SETTLED BEFORE OPENING UP THE SERVER. I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE 1 MIN OVER. DON'T DO IT. OPENING UP THE SERVER BEFORE TEAMS ARE FINALIZED IS ONE OF THE MOST TIME-CONSUMING THINGS YOU COULD DO IN SETTING UP FOR A WAR, AND LET'S REMEMBER: WASTING TIME ISN'T GOOD. Be efficient, but don't rush; keep calm and finish configuring the teams first. Hosts should also take note and not open up their servers unless they need to test something before promptly turning the server off again.

4) Launch the server.

When both teams have been configured and both clan leaders give the go, launch the server and allow players to start getting into their team positions. If you have chat, leave the IRC. If everything goes right, EACH TEAM SHOULD IMMEDIATELY KNOW WHICH SIDE THEY GO ON = SMOOTH TRANSITION = IMMEDIATELY ABLE TO PLAY!

5) Fight. (Duh, what else?)

6) Intermission map.

Once each round has finished, you should switch over to the intermission map in which clan leaders and hosts should fix or discuss anything that needs to be sorted out. Generally, a well run war will only have very minor issues to iron out such as switching the team line-up for each round before starting the next map.

7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 until the war is completed.

8) GRATZ! YOU ACTUALLY FINISHED A WAR! Proceed to "III. After the War."

At least, this is how it's SUPPOSED to go...

B) Clan War Etiquette - aka Common Sense (all of this guide is, but whateva):

What if everything we've talked about until now DOESN'T HAPPEN? WHAT IF EVERYTHING GOES WRONG? WHAT IF THE OTHER TEAM IS COMPLETELY UNABLE TO ORGANIZE THEIR TEAM or didn't go through all the planning that you, THE IMPECCIBLY SMART LEADER, went through?!? WHAT IF SOMEONE ON YOUR TEAM BROUGHT POT OVER AND EVERYONE IS NOW HIGHER THAN THE INTEL STATE BUILDING? In those cases, here are some guidelines I made because I can make them (plus I think they help).

CLAN LEADER:
1) If your members start to get out of hand, crazy, spammy, trolly, etc., REMEMBER: BE FIRM WITH YOUR MEMBERS, BUT NOT FRUSTRATED. Be patient; if you (the last sensible person) lose it as well, the whole war is gonna die. Give out direct and specific orders on what your members should do. Lead them (cuz you are the leader). If you see 5 people on your team in a 4 v 4, tell one person to get off. NAME A NAME. DON'T SAY, "All who aren't gonna play plz leave." THEY ALL WANT TO PLAY. GIVE DIRECT, SPECIFIC ORDERS. (Course if you had PLANNED enough BEFORE the war, you wouldn't be having extra members jumping all over the place now would you?)

2) DON'T SHOUT HATEFUL/CONDESCENDING STUFF LIKE "YOU'RE ALL 10 YEAR OLDS." Granted, they may be acting like complete idiots, but DON'T DO IT. This only drives up the drama and then everybody is sorta not liking you and they start defending themselves and shooting stuff right back at you.

3) Don't say stuff unrelated to the war such as "After this war, I'm making more stringent rules" or "I'll learn the mute command to mute some kids later." Presently, comments like that will not help you in any way whatsoever with you current goal: completing this war as fast and efficient as possible. Leave it until AFTER THE WAR IS OVER to start discussing stuff like that. In general, anything that doesn't have anything to do with the present war or is completely out of your ability to resolve should not be said.

4) Try your best to deal with your chronic spammers (or any for that matter). Although ignoring heavy spam is a viable method (and also helps build high tolerance!), doing so does not necessarily go across the board for all people involved. First, ask, being polite and specific with your request. Sometimes, that's all it'll take to do the trick (and if it doesn't, at least you won't look like a jerk lol). Allow the spammers a few opportunities to remove their hands from the computer. However, IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, MUTE THEM LIKE THE LITTLE CHILDREN THEY ARE. (Note: you must be the operator of the IRC channel in order to mute. This is either gained by making the channel yourself or asking the current operator to give you his operative powers.) The best route to go with this method is probably to first warn (perhaps a few times) the spamming members that they will be muted, mute them if the behavior persists, unmute after a few minutes, and then warn them again thereafter. In most instances, they will *usually* get the message. Otherwise, just keep muting them. Another good (and perhaps less tense) method to prevent excessive spam, trolling, etc. is to tell certain (or all unnecessary) clan members to arrive later/closer to the game time, say around 15-5 minutes. That way, spammy/easily distracted + bored members won't have to wait so long before the game starts and will be able to jump in much more quickly without filling up the IRC with useless text. It's like bribing them with candy, except with them not knowing of the candy's existence until 5 minutes before they die.

5) On very, very rare occasions, you will have to step up and start helping out the other team's clan leader. Be CAREFUL tho. ORDERING OTHER TEAM IZ LAST DITCH MOVE. Use good judgment. Depending on the other clan's circumstances/reputation (Is this their first time organizing a war?, Are they known for their shenanigans?, etc.), encourage them to learn themselves by staying out of their conversation. Only when things are like DIRE of the DIRE should you even CONSIDER stepping over to their side. Again, use good judgment. In circumstances when only about one or two people from the opposite crew arrive, I don't think you can salvage that; rescheduling the war is probably the best option at that point. (I also don't think it's nice to force some of your teammates on the other side cuz it's not officially "their" team, but I guess you can if the other side really wants it/is okay with it. Offer your services first, but don't force it.) Again, be firm, but not frustrated. Treat them like you would your own clan members (hopefully, you treat your members well). Be firm but respectful, give direct and specific orders, name names, etc.

6) IF THE OTHER TEAM DOESN'T APPEAR AT ALL, IT IS HOPELESS; DON'T BOTHER. GIVE YOUR ENTIRE TEAM COOKIES. THEY DID GREAT.

PLAYERS:
Although the behavior of clan members largely falls on the leader's shoulders, there are times when member behavior is out of the leader's hands. Seriously tho, have some decency, and act like rational people for once. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THAT YOU GUYS GET DISTRACTED WHILE CLAN LEADERS AND THE HOST ARE BUSY ORGANIZING. PLEASE DON'T DO THAT. PAY ATTENTION. YOU SHOULD HELP YOUR CLAN OUT, TOO. HERE'S HOW:

1) Don't blabber, spam, troll, suggest random stuff that has nothing to do with the war, etc. DOES IT LOOK LIKE IT'S GOING TO BE 5v5? NO? THEN DON'T SAY ENNETHING. I don't have a problem with chatting a bit before a war starts, but when things begin to happen, people turn up, and ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR LEADER STARTS DISCUSSING STUFF ABOUT THE WAR and you are 5 mins from game time, please stop typing a billion words a minute and LISTEN TO YOUR LEADER. During a war, the only time a player who is not the clan leader or host should be talking is to help the clan leader with the war or if the clan leader is not doing anything to get the war going. Use good judgment. Step up if you NEED to. But chances are, you won't. So sit down again, and stop talking.

2) Listen to your leader. Once you've stopped talking, don't just plug your ears; you need to start listening.

3) Obey your leader. Have they told you to be quiet 500 times? You may not know it, but maybe, just MAYBE, they have a point in telling you so. SO DOOOOOOO EEEEEEEET. Very rarely will a leader tell you to do something that is objectionable (in which case, of course, you object).

4) Don't switch teams--EVER. Once teams have been established, don't switch to the other team or go into spec unless truly needed. Switching teams only causes more unnecessary confusion and frustration. Just wait patiently on your respective team plz.

5) DON'T MESS AROUND DURING INTERMISSION. DON'T FRAG, DON'T CAP, DON'T NOTHING. INTERMISSION MAPS AREN'T MADE TO SHOOT OTHER PEOPLE. THEY ARE MADE TO CONFIGURE TEAMS, PLAN, AND TAKE A BREAK. Be quiet, listen, and allow your leaders and the host to discuss things before the next round begins.

Or you can just use this caps-free, handy quote from RBY:

Quote from: RBY
A transition map is a map on which people are not supposed to fight. It's a little break between the maps used for player swapping or joining. Do not kill people here or cap the intelligence or the control points until people tell you to.

HOSTS:
1) Generally filter everybody else out and don't listen to anything from anybody except leaders. If you're going to change to the next map after intermission, make sure to get a "Yes" from BOTH CLAN LEADERS. As the host, always consult BOTH clan leaders before doing anything monumental. Be patient with clan leaders as they're trying to sort out their teams/keep their teams under control as well.

2) What if you're a last-minute host? AS YOU SET UP THE SERVER, REMEMBER: DON'T INTRODUCE NEW STUFF. If you think the new stuff will be helpful in the war, ask both clan leaders for approval first; if one of them disagrees, however, DON'T ADD IT no matter how passionate you are about the new add-on. You should suggest new plugins/mods for NEXT TIME. Debating and arguing, especially with clan leaders--who are the main shot callers in a war--is only going to prolong the war and cause more frustration. Going with standard protocol during a time when tensions are high is a much better route than having another 15 minute discussion about whether we should use this or not.

DISPUTES BETWEEN CLANS/PLAYERS/HOSTS/ANYBODY REALLY:
ONLY IF WHAT THE OTHER PERSON SUGGESTS IS ABSOLUTELY GAMEBREAKING SHOULD OPPOSING SIDES WASTE TIME FOR WHAT THEY BELIEVE IN (CLAN PATRIOTISM!!). As an easy general compromise, stop arguing and just go with standard accepted protocol. If the other side absolutely refuses, however, then either call off the war or reschedule it. This (hopefully) forces the other side to reevaluate if what they're fighting for is really worth it/reasonable.

III. After a war:

GO HOME.

I applaud my overuse of caps :3

C1

\(^0^)/.\(^0^)/ GUIDE DLC!!!!!!! \(^0^)/.\(^0^)/

Because I can't find a way to tuck the following into the guide and make it flow, I'll just put this here as an extension to the guide.

These are just a bundle of commands most people aren't familiar with that are very helpful in organizing clan wars. Disclaimer: This is NOT a comprehensive guide on how to use IRC/list of IRC commands. If you want to learn IRC, go google it; they can teach you much better than I can :P. In before hypocrite statement about not making this guide technical. (Courtesy of Orpheon.)

IRC Commands - Functions:
Code: [Select]
/title xxxy - Sets title to xxxy, useful for displaying information everyone must see (teams, password, in the team-specific channels the classes, etc...)
/msg ChanServ flags <channel> <user> +q - Mutes that user on that channel.
/msg ChanServ flags <channel> <user> -q - Unmutes that user on that channel.
/kick <name> - Kicks someone out of the IRC channel temporarily.
/ban <name> + /kick <name> - Kicks someone out of the IRC channel permanently.
/unban <copied ip from /banlist> - Unbans someone.
/banlist - Shows banned people.
/op <name> - Makes that person an operator.

Also, don't forget the almighty /join <name> command.

DLC1 ;3c
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 12:24:18 pm by B.illy S.O.D. »

B.illy S.O.D.

• Ray Bann's Minion
Re: [Clan Guide] - [B.illy S.O.D.] - [HOW TO HAVE A MAGICAL WAR]
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 01:09:35 pm »

So this was a guide I made quite a few months back (don't ask me when). Edited some grammatical errors I didn't like, added a title, and a self-deprecating image to boot. The subject title thingy couldn't take my entire prelude so I just put the main point down though do know that the title includes EVERYTHING on top. Any feedback would be welcome as always.

C1
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:11:42 pm by B.illy S.O.D. »

bullets (obviously)

• Seasoned Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 02:11:30 pm »

Holy wall of caps.......

I should get back into clans and stuff

21Dan

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 03:47:38 pm »

Did I mention that I love you and stuff?

Orpheon

• 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Developer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 04:52:25 pm »

Only 24.25% of the whole text is capitalized.

Also,
Another thing to consider for absolute war efficiency is PRE-TESTING THE SERVER (even backups!) BEFOREHAND (relatively 1 day in advance) with ALL the finalized host options present. Depending on the host (if they just hosted yesterday then I'm pretty sure they can tomorrow), you can skip this step; however, keep in mind that there's always that 30% (yes, 30%) chance that the server doesn't appear in the lobby or something else goes wrong on game day. Just do it if they haven't served in a while or whatnot or if you wanna be 1000% (yes, these numbers are completely accurate) sure they will be able to serve on war date.
Where did you get those 30% from? :P

In all seriousness, nice guide, although I disagree in a few points. Having an open server where most members can just fool around during preparation usually does wonders at keeping IRC safe from spam, and not telling people to shut up and not behave like 10-year-olds can be somewhat effective too.
Also, sometimes this whole preparation is nice, but other times it's just overkill. You can plan and execute a successful war in one week, planning 6 ahead usually is more doomed to fail because no-one here really keeps agendas, and then suddenly stuff starts falling apart.

And about IRC, here are a few useful commands:
/title xxxy - Sets title to xxxy, useful for displaying information everyone must see (teams, password, in the team-specific channels the classes, etc...)
/msg ChanServ flags <channel> <user> +q - mutes that user on that channel
/msg ChanServ flags <channel> <user> -q - unmutes that user on that channel
/kick <name> - Obvious
/ban <name> + /kick <name> - kicks someone out of the IRC channel permanently
/banlist - shows banned people
/unban <copied ip from /banlist> - unbans someone
/op <name> - Make that person an operator

B.illy S.O.D.

• Ray Bann's Minion
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 02:54:25 pm »

First off, thanks for the feedback, Orph! I rethought some things over and here's what I came up with:

In all seriousness, nice guide, although I disagree in a few points. Having an open server where most members can just fool around during preparation usually does wonders at keeping IRC safe from spam,
I would have to say that's still a bad idea since people need to listen. Even with chat ingame, it's hard to get somebody's attention when they are playin in a server. I think if I were to choose between putting up with spam and people listening or people playing but not listening, I would choose listening. That said, I've been thinking about solutions to spam, and starting off with muting isn't a bad idea. I will probably make some sort of solution section to spamming and such things when I think things through more.

and not telling people to shut up and not behave like 10-year-olds can be somewhat effective too.
Don't you mean not telling people to shut up and not behave like 10-year-olds? Because otherwise, you agree with me :V I don't have any problem with telling someone to be quiet (I don't even have a problem with saying "SHUT UP" but I guess it depends on who you're dealing with and the situation), but I do think that telling someone to be quiet by saying "You're all behaving like 10-year-olds" isn't the way to say it. Generally, that's perceived as an insult and it doesn't even give a specific order as to what the player needs to do. But I do get your point.

Also, sometimes this whole preparation is nice, but other times it's just overkill. You can plan and execute a successful war in one week, planning 6 ahead usually is more doomed to fail because no-one here really keeps agendas, and then suddenly stuff starts falling apart.
You have a point with the overkill. Rethinking it over, 6 does seem too much :P. However, I do think that as a leader (if you're into heavy warring and events, that is), you should plan/have an idea of what you wanna do that far ahead in your mind, but yea, not necessarily start scheduling, calling members, and all that stuff. I should clarify that.

/kick <name> - Obvious
Uhhhh I'm not sure if I should add this since I stated I was working more with the general organization than the technical stuff like IRC commands, but I'll think about it since maybe I should expand this.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:55:55 pm by B.illy S.O.D. »

Footpöp

• Veteran Member
  • I /saw/ him
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 04:16:32 pm »

having good and reliable members that will show up is important though kekeke
Team /ABC/

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 09:59:57 pm »

I know this is a haxxy guide and evreything but lots of prep time can be saved by Intel Guard's Soon To Be Patented Method of IRC Organization

ITS QUICK AND EASY! HERES HOW:

(set up for for best 2/3, can be amended for best of 5 but that means NO SCRATCHING!!)

Pre-step 1) Set up ruleset, date and match time for everything prior to starting your shit! NO MAP ORGANIZATION NEEDED!! ALSO HOSTS SHOULD BE ASCERTAINED LIKE A DAY BEFORE OR DAY OF BECAUSE OFTEN LAST MINUTE ENGAGEMENTS FUCK UP PRESET HOSTS!!!

Pre-step 2) Set up a .txt file of your favorite, comp friendly maps!!! Pass it around to all participating!! This will be the nifty-ass MAP POOL that will give teams a varieety of maps to choose from and provide your "random map"

Step 1) Set up your irc! ex. #mlpsucks, #ajfisbad, #ticvsgs

Step 2) Spam the IRC link as well as match time everywhere in RED, BOLD, ITALICIZED, UNDERSCORED, CAPITALIZED, 20PT TEXT

Step 3) Get into your channel first so you can be OP! MAKE FUCKING SURE YOU ARE OP

Step 3.5) When everyone gets to your channel, emphasize making team ircs so people can be better organized

Step 4) Use the nifty irc command /topic and use this fucking handy template, like it will save your ass so much time and trouble it's not even fnny, damn:

[team 1] (red) VS. [team 2] (blue) | host: [host name goes here] | maps: [ 5 maps go here!!!] (to be scratched; [start with 2, UPDATE AS MAPS ARE SCRATCHED]) | Score [START WITH 0-0, UPDATE AS IT HAPPENS]

BOOM. That is all the pertinent information needed, and perfect to accomodate the INTEL GUARD METHOD (CO-OPTED FROM SNARE) OF CHOOSING MAPS. Basically, it involves each team choosing 2 maps, and scratching (or omitting) 1 map. Too confusing? Don't worry son, this goes by fast.

Step 5) Get your base map list, aka conflictcontrakistracorinthharvestotherbadmaps.tx t out and copy paste that motherfucker into random.org, and however you see fit to do it (you can just put it in the list generator and choose whatever comes out on top of the rearranged list), get a random map out and paste it into the maplist on the topic as the random map selection.

Step 6) Instruct each team leader to slect two maps however they see fit, be it conferring with their team or just choosing random shit. MAKE SURE TO TYPE OUT THEIR NAMES EXACTKY AS THEY SHOW UP ON THE IRC TO ALERT THEM THEY NEED TO CHOOSE MAPS

Step 7) As all 4 maps are chosen, paste them up with the random maps AS THEY ARE CHOSEN

Step 8) USING THE SAME PROCEDURE FOR ALERTING THE LEADERS, HAVE EACH TEAM SCRATCH ONE MAP.

Step 9) Have host set up the maps and server.

Step 10) MLG ESPORTS

Hope this helps. Seriously streamlines the process and nobody can complain as all the information is up there, provided real-time.
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Orpheon

• 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Developer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 03:11:47 am »

and not telling people to shut up and not behave like 10-year-olds can be somewhat effective too.
Don't you mean not telling people to shut up and not behave like 10-year-olds? Because otherwise, you agree with me :V I don't have any problem with telling someone to be quiet (I don't even have a problem with saying "SHUT UP" but I guess it depends on who you're dealing with and the situation), but I do think that telling someone to be quiet by saying "You're all behaving like 10-year-olds" isn't the way to say it. Generally, that's perceived as an insult and it doesn't even give a specific order as to what the player needs to do. But I do get your point.
Oops, the first not was a mistake. What I meant is that sometimes insulting can be the only way to punch a point through, depending on the group. Especially that particular insult, it has a rather strong silencing effect.
But yeah, muting is good too.

/kick <name> - Obvious
Uhhhh I'm not sure if I should add this since I stated I was working more with the general organization than the technical stuff like IRC commands, but I'll think about it since maybe I should expand this.
Well, it's just almost no-one knows these, and knowing how to change title, mute and kick are useful skills for anything that uses IRC for organization.

B.illy S.O.D.

• Ray Bann's Minion
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 08:36:46 pm »

Hope this helps. Seriously streamlines the process and nobody can complain as all the information is up there, provided real-time.

While I do think that works if you're short on time, there's no reason NOT to plan maps before hand as well as servers. That way you don't have to deal with it in irc ;3 And yes, hosts are fickle :P (tho I still recommend searching them out beforehand) Thanks for your response tho, will keep some stuff in mind.

Footpöp

• Veteran Member
  • I /saw/ him
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 04:19:01 am »

working on maps on the day of is pure metacraft though
you know who you are working with and what the other team is working with, and your respective strength and weaknesses

im sorry this is probably a little too nxtlvl for you
think may and harvest
Team /ABC/

B.illy S.O.D.

• Ray Bann's Minion
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 05:13:32 pm »

working on maps on the day of is pure metacraft though
you know who you are working with and what the other team is working with, and your respective strength and weaknesses

im sorry this is probably a little too nxtlvl for you
think may and harvest

Yeah, finally got around to answering this (yeah, I forgot, sue me).

You do have a good point, though the trade-off is always time. So if you wanna take the time to give yourself advantages, you can do that. This guide is primarily aimed at making it balanced and quick tho (cuz everybody hates waiting these days), so I think I'll leave that off the table for now.

Also, will be re-writing stuff, I think. . . GUIDE DLC!!!!!!!!!!

trog

• member of intel's squad of garbagemen against the yakuza
  • Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 09:29:32 am »

holy shit why is this so long

PM me your apps for my clan

92% of people who see this will not
have the guts to repost it. When Goku
died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.

B.illy S.O.D.

• Ray Bann's Minion
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 08:34:32 pm »

GOT SOME GUIDE DLC!!!!!

Colored red all the parts that are new so you don't have to slough through the entire guide to find the new parts (I'll color them black again after a few days).

Formatting for the new parts aren't final either, I'll make it look nicer somehow XD

As always, feedback and comments are welcome.

C1
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:34:52 pm by B.illy S.O.D. »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 36 queries.