April 25, 2024, 09:28:34 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Downtime notice / possible change of hosting  (Read 13742 times)

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
Re: Downtime notice / possible change of hosting
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 01:14:00 pm »

PHPBB is more of a security nightmare than any of the other PHP forum softwares.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

ajf

• (Ex-?)Developer and forum/web admin
  • she's never quite as dead as you think
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 01:31:52 pm »

Personally this is the first forum I can recall being on that used SMF and I prefer it a by a HUGE margin to basically any other forum system I've seen(myBB, InvisionFree, etc).
I like SMF a lot, too.

Post rep is stupid, and shit we've already had

are you saying a system where people would bookmark the link to downvote people just to fuck with them might have been horrible and flawed

We don't need moderation tools when nobody here does their job needs them

I do the same amount of moderation as half the mods combined so yeah I agree with this.

I thought about applying to be a mod once but that's only because someone told me there's funny conversations in the mod subforum and now I want to read them.
ok

design/aesthetic options (myBB)

frankly I think myBB looks ugly as balls
ok

PHPBB is a security nightmare

HOLY SHIT NO WAY SOMETHING WITH PHP HAS SECURITY FLAWS
php is shit
but easy
hence it attracts newbs
who write software that is shit but not easy

and since it's shit, it's also horribly insecure
did you know that spinning stars work like this???

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. execute_strings on fire off the shoulder of Overmars. I watched object-beams glitter in the dark near the room_goto_fix. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

Orangestar

• Veteran Member
  • That's why I didn't delete this account.
    • Clicky Clicky
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:23:26 am by Orangestar »

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 02:14:21 am »

We could always just use the IRC during downtime

Either go to Espernet or download an IRC client and connect to irc.esper.net:6667. I prefer the latter for reasons.
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

ajf

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 08:38:25 am »

We could always just use the IRC during downtime

Either go to Espernet or download an IRC client and connect to irc.esper.net:6667. I prefer the latter for reasons.
For the former you meant to say webIRC right

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. execute_strings on fire off the shoulder of Overmars. I watched object-beams glitter in the dark near the room_goto_fix. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 09:02:26 am »

I still remember ACMLMboard

ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

BaSiC BiTcH

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 09:32:11 pm »

is that the one where posting gives you XP and lets you level up? I remember an old Pokemon forum I went to a long time ago that might have used that, I thought it was really neat. unnecessary, but neat.

Orangestar

• Veteran Member
    • Clicky Clicky
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 11:03:40 pm »

is that the one where posting gives you XP and lets you level up? I remember an old Pokemon forum I went to a long time ago that might have used that, I thought it was really neat. unnecessary, but neat.
soooooooooooo

just ranks?

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 11:21:16 pm »

Orangestar

• Veteran Member
    • Clicky Clicky
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 11:42:57 pm »

cluttered as hell

notarctic

• just arctic, what gives?
  • 👎👀 bad aim ba̷̶ ԁ aIm 👎 thats❌ some bad 👎👎aim
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 02:27:04 am »

if we e.g. want to run a Minecraft server some time
somtime in the distant future we can host official gg2 servers and alot of them
pygg2 if that ever comes into existence.
[1:37:51 PM] Derpduck: arctic u need to quote ppl that make shit posts in case they edit them
[4:20:15 PM] Rubeus Hashgrid: i cant discover anything fuck you imageshack

ajf

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 07:53:13 am »

So, if you find a good offer please post it here. We currently use the L offer from here:
http://www.hosteurope.de/Server/Virtual-Server/
...except that we only seem to get 1-2GB of RAM at the moment, so they didn't pass that improvement on to us yet.

What I'm looking for is a server with at least 30GB of HD space, 1GB of RAM guaranteed and at least 2TB of traffic/month. More is always better of course, if we e.g. want to run a Minecraft server some time then we can use all the RAM we can get :P
https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing offers $10/mo. 1GB RAM, 30GB SSD HD, 2TB bandwidth VPS
Is that enough? Would I need to go higher, $20/mo.?

On that note, how much money do you get for server upkeep, typically? :P

cspotcode

• Coder
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 11:39:24 am »

I've always had a hard time finding offers better than HostEurope.  Is it because hosting is more expensive in the US, or am I just not looking hard enough?

Also, are we paying 13 euros a month like the website says?

Whoever ends up hosting the server in the future, multiple *trusted* people should have access.  Heaven forbid one person experiences a death in the family or some other personal emergency, we should be able to keep the website running in their absence.  Higher bus factor and all that.

Maybe we can use only free servers to host the website.  We could farm all php execution out to a bunch of Travis-CI jobs.  Loading "/forums" tells nginx to trigger a commit to Github, which triggers a Travis-CI build which renders the forum page.  Any SQL updates are committed back to Github as flat files.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
- Douglas Adams

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 01:45:14 pm »

I've always had a hard time finding offers better than HostEurope.  Is it because hosting is more expensive in the US, or am I just not looking hard enough?

Also, are we paying 13 euros a month like the website says?

Whoever ends up hosting the server in the future, multiple *trusted* people should have access.  Heaven forbid one person experiences a death in the family or some other personal emergency, we should be able to keep the website running in their absence.  Higher bus factor and all that.

Maybe we can use only free servers to host the website.  We could farm all php execution out to a bunch of Travis-CI jobs.  Loading "/forums" tells nginx to trigger a commit to Github, which triggers a Travis-CI build which renders the forum page.  Any SQL updates are committed back to Github as flat files.
IIRC you still have access to the server for that reason... not root access, but enough to maintain the forums and website and to pull the forum db.
I don't have an easy time finding a better hoster either. Yes, we're at 13 Eur/Month, plus whatever mrfredman still pays for the domain at 1and1. Would probably stay with HostEurope aka the devil we know, if it wasn't for lack of up-to-date Ubuntu distro. Seriously, 12.04 is still not available?
Will look into Digital Ocean.
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 01:59:57 pm »

On that note, how much money do you get for server upkeep, typically? :P
I didn't check in a while, but reading back a bit it looks like I've been paying it out of my own pocket since May 2012. I "donated" May-July, but didn't get any new money after that either (and I always paid part of it myself anyway). mrfredman probably has some (he gets the donations), but I doubt it's a significant ammount.

Since it doesn't look like mrfredman will have a big comeback soon, we might want to transfer the domain to someone else too and change the paypal donate account...

Edit: I see that I marked down March 22 as the last possible date for this, probably because we'll have to cancel our contract by then if we want to switch hosts.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:03:04 pm by MedO »
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 36 queries.