December 06, 2021, 05:31:06 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dynamic Killcams  (Read 4125 times)

ajf

• (Ex-?)Developer and forum/web admin
  • she's never quite as dead as you think
Re: Dynamic Killcams
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 04:20:14 pm »

that would be really hard for gg2 engine reasons
just take a screenshot each step?
aka Andrea.

did you know that spinning stars work like this???

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. execute_strings on fire off the shoulder of Overmars. I watched object-beams glitter in the dark near the room_goto_fix. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

skeleton dude

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 06:00:07 pm »

Aren't killcams traditionally from the opponent's view? Would you record an entire match in screenshots for every player and then somehow trade handfuls back and forth for every kill and have them play in sequence? If instead it would be your own point of you then what purpose would that give? You're not providing any new information for how or why you died.

Not like it's much of a mystery most of the time in game anyway, and it wouldn't make it anymore interesting watching it twice.

If that wasn't a problem you'd still have to take 30 separate screenshots every second, that's a lot of stuff to save temporarily while the game is running. I can't imagine players with low end computer specs being anywhere less than the half of the player base that would have to turn this feature off just to run the game smoothly. If players have to keep it off just to play then what's the point of putting it into the game in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:11:31 pm by SkeleDude »

Venomous

• Heroic Member
  • Monoculus Whisperer
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 07:59:53 pm »

Well we could do a constant save/delete system, where saving frames start at the match start and if the number of saved frames reaches 31, then the oldest frame saved is deleted so theres no more than 30 frames saved at any given time, which could reduce lag.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 05:15:30 am »

that would be really hard for gg2 engine reasons
just take a screenshot each step?
So uhh, assuming 3 second killcam at 30 fps, also assuming 6 enemy players in vincinity, that makes 6*30*5=900 images you want to dynamically update and then play?

Or did you mean following the player, in which case we're still talking >100 screencaps, but less than 900?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:16:14 am by Orpheon »

\esc144aAroundTheWorld\esca

• stinkier foot
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 05:38:52 am »

have them send their x, y, gun x, y and gun rotation etc. over the last 3 secs to you after they kill you, so that your client can render it rather than take screenshots. also have it off by default.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:39:04 am by Splat »

[FR]YB

• 2013 Haxxy Award Winner
  • There are 11 people playing holy sh
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 07:32:20 am »

Wasn't there a replay mod or something like that, that saved every data sent or received by the server, and could simulate the round afterwards?

Then again that would still require to save the coords/speeds of every character every frame for a few seconds... But it's still the best I can come with

Derpduck

• 2011 Haxxy Finalist
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 07:33:09 am »

Wasn't there a replay mod or something like that, that saved every data sent or received by the server, and could simulate the round afterwards?

Then again that would still require to save the coords/speeds of every character every frame for a few seconds... But it's still the best I can come with
That was GEM, made by Orpheon/AJF, and it was a host only feature.

ajf

• (Ex-?)Developer and forum/web admin
  • she's never quite as dead as you think
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 07:30:30 am »

Replay was something Orpheon did and it originated in OHU before the OHU/SMOKE merger.
aka Andrea.

did you know that spinning stars work like this???

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. execute_strings on fire off the shoulder of Overmars. I watched object-beams glitter in the dark near the room_goto_fix. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 37 queries.