January 24, 2022, 11:07:07 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 4cps  (Read 4601 times)

OLag

• Fool
Re: 4cps
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 11:42:12 am »

There's one in the OP. That's enough to justify a change for this kind of mistake, especially since a single line check in CP's step like this:

Code: [Select]
if global.CpTotal=4 and owner=noone {owner=TEAM_RED;}

would be more then sufficient to fix the problem.
If it i that easy then there is no reason not to do it.
<Orpheon|offline> nothing is wierd if someone does it

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 11:49:16 am »

git and gmksplit are frustrating, I'm not going to fire them up for such a specific and overly special fix. it only applies to 4cp as well, when 6cp and 2cp etc may share the same bug in different cases, where this patch only checks for 4cp. Lines of code is a horrible way to measure the worth of a bugfix.

If you want to fix this, do it yourself, document edge cases, and attack the symptoms instead of the problem. Then work with Git and make a pull request to MedO. This is what open source is for. Fixing things yourself. Not bugging developers about your super special obscure bug that must be fixed top priority.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Dusty

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Dust in a box under a table
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 05:46:07 pm »

There are like no 4cp maps. Not "not a lot". None.
Perhaps because they don't work the way they should?

trog

• member of intel's squad of garbagemen against the yakuza
  • Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 06:08:04 pm »

Really though even-numbered Push CP is never going to be supported, the lack of a midfight completely breaks the gamemode's pacing mechanics, don't ask me (and probably not psycho either) for it

it's equivalent to neutral flag CTF or gravelpit style A/D CP
The way he has it set up it's basically a midfight.

PM me your apps for my clan

92% of people who see this will not
have the guts to repost it. When Goku
died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.

Machidro

• 2013 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Gardicolo time is over.
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 06:42:43 pm »

git and gmksplit are frustrating, I'm not going to fire them up for such a specific and overly special fix. it only applies to 4cp as well, when 6cp and 2cp etc may share the same bug in different cases, where this patch only checks for 4cp. Lines of code is a horrible way to measure the worth of a bugfix.

If you want to fix this, do it yourself, document edge cases, and attack the symptoms instead of the problem. Then work with Git and make a pull request to MedO. This is what open source is for. Fixing things yourself. Not bugging developers about your super special obscure bug that must be fixed top priority.

I brought up lines of code because you're making it seem like its a harder fix than it is.

There are no edge cases that need documenting; All odd CP counts work perfectly, 2CP already works perfectly and 6 or more CP currently can't exist due to the way Control Point Hud codes for CP times. But, even then, if you insisted on future proofing the fix, it'd only take ~2 seconds of work.

In fact, I'll fix the general case right here, right now. Replace this in Control Point HUD's create event:
if global.totalControlPoints>2 && ceil(middlePoint) == i global.cp[i].team=-1;
with this:
if global.totalControlPoints>2 && ceil(middlePoint) == i && middlePoint mod 2 != 0 {global.cp[i].team=-1;}
and it'll work with however many arbitrary even control points counts you'd care to add, whether 4, 6, or 192.

Now that we've got past the issue of "coding effort and edge cases" out of the way, all that would need to happen is that during the next time you or any developer updates the beta in any way, just throw in the above one line fix and you're done. No one ever said you had to fix the problem in an isolated update, and it isn't so important that it needs to be done in isolation, but it is something that should get done.

Also, I am still trying to learn how to use git, it would have been implemented by now If I could add it myself.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:45:42 pm by Gardicolo »
A CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED.

trog

• member of intel's squad of garbagemen against the yakuza
  • Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:39 pm »

You don't actually have to use git right now, you can do it through the website.

go to https://github.com/Medo42/Gang-Garrison-2
at the top right press fork
go to your fork and go to the control point hud create event
click edit and do your stuff
at the bottom put a good commit description and commit
at the top press pull request, do what it asks

that's a really shitty way to do it so you probably shouldnt do it for anything else

PM me your apps for my clan

92% of people who see this will not
have the guts to repost it. When Goku
died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 10:03:10 pm »

Don't listen to wareya, he's autistic and incapable of using Git because he fuked up his environment because of Japan.

Trog's got sort of the right idea, but its probably better to debug and test code for this to matter.

This looks like a simple fix. I pretty much consider myself in charge of ninja-bugfixes from now on, as I've the proper environment to quickly implement these sorts of things

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 12:04:51 am »

Now that we've got past the issue of "coding effort and edge cases" out of the way, all that would need to happen is that during the next time you or any developer updates the beta in any way, just throw in the above one line fix and you're done.
I'm glad you did it, but it's not what you're supposed to do to beg devs to fix something (that includes giving them the code and asking them to Git it) that was never supposed to be supported, when you can easily do it yourself. Don't give me an attitude; bugfixes /are/ supposed to be committed in isolated updates, and when they're half-assed like the one from the previous page it only causes more problems.

ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Dusty

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Dust in a box under a table
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 07:28:37 pm »

Now that we've got past the issue of "coding effort and edge cases" out of the way, all that would need to happen is that during the next time you or any developer updates the beta in any way, just throw in the above one line fix and you're done.
I'm glad you did it, but it's not what you're supposed to do to beg devs to fix something (that includes giving them the code and asking them to Git it) that was never supposed to be supported, when you can easily do it yourself. Don't give me an attitude; bugfixes /are/ supposed to be committed in isolated updates, and when they're half-assed like the one from the previous page it only causes more problems.
When he said isolated I think he meant you didn't need to make an entire update for just one bug.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 11:37:55 pm »

http://man.he.net/man1/git-commit
This is what I'm talking about. Not a game update, a repository update.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 04:55:31 pm »

...ok, I know I'm late to the party, but wtf wareya?

I'm adding Machidro's fix right now.
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

GG2RBY

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 12:36:03 pm »

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 02:57:19 pm »

It escalated quickly.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:13 pm »

Moved to AFR because of implementation.
Post in developer discussion if you somehow want to continue discussing this.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:19:13 pm by Phantom Brave »

Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 37 queries.