April 28, 2024, 04:41:37 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Gang Garrison 2.4.3 - the too tired to write a proper announcement update  (Read 32260 times)

Saniblues

• Onion Knight

Anyway for 2.4.4 I'm considering introducing a  :x15: mine menu, where pressing 1 creates a mine, 2 blows up a mine, and 0 closes it. Also, for  :quote:, there will be a bubble menu. Might do something similar for  :x14: since you can accidentally freeze yourself. Plus I'll add one for taunting, since if you accidentally taunt it could be fatal!
Here lemme point out the difference between those and a build menu.

Mines are destroyed because that their sole purpose; to destroy things. A sentry isn't supposed to be destroyed on purpose, unless you use it as a distraction.
Those are Quote's primary means of attack and defense. In no way is accidentally destroying a sentry paralleled by that.
The Manvich might actually work.
I'm not even going to begin with the taunt menu thing.

I know that you're making that post to try to throw my argument back in my face but the moot point is that you don't understand why I am mad and why this is actually more inconvenient than having a build menu.
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

Orpheon

• 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Developer

Anyway for 2.4.4 I'm considering introducing a  :x15: mine menu, where pressing 1 creates a mine, 2 blows up a mine, and 0 closes it. Also, for  :quote:, there will be a bubble menu. Might do something similar for  :x14: since you can accidentally freeze yourself. Plus I'll add one for taunting, since if you accidentally taunt it could be fatal!
Here lemme point out the difference between those and a build menu.

Mines are destroyed because that their sole purpose; to destroy things. A sentry isn't supposed to be destroyed on purpose, unless you use it as a distraction.
Those are Quote's primary means of attack and defense. In no way is accidentally destroying a sentry paralleled by that.
The Manvich might actually work.
I'm not even going to begin with the taunt menu thing.

I know that you're making that post to try to throw my argument back in my face but the moot point is that you don't understand why I am mad and why this is actually more inconvenient than having a build menu.
You are mad that you make mistakes more easily and destroy autoguns at the wrong moment, correct?

Then let me introduce you to ubers and to manviches. Should they get menus too?

Saniblues

• Onion Knight

For manviches, yes.

Malpracticeisdead

That's an absolutely ridiculous argument. You shouldn't get rid of a good feature for one class because other classes don't have the same.

Orpheon

• 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Developer

That's an absolutely ridiculous argument. You shouldn't get rid of a good feature for one class because other classes don't have the same.
I'm not saying we should do that. I'm saying that it isn't consistent to be angered over one and not the other.
So if people want one, they want the other too.

And why didn't we make this an option?

CobaltBW

• Veteran Beta Tester
  • Blue Warrior

It's still pretty unprofessional in my opinion.
you call the lack of a build menu "unprofessional"; I call it practical
Man the class select menu is so inconvenient, I just want to change classes at the press of a button!
I'm not even going to tell you why the analogy you're making is retarded, you should be able to figure it out on your own.
a·nal·o·gy [uh-nal-uh-jee]
noun, plural a·nal·o·gies.
1. a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.

Similarity:

You want to build and destroy with the press of a button
I want to change classes at the change of a button

Both are convenient for a small portion of the community but inconvenient for a much larger portion of it.

The build menu can only do one thing at a time, which removes the point of a menu. The sentry build/destroy functions need to be immediately accessible to combat engineers so that they're not fumbling with the 1&2 keys, which is what prompted the change. None of this is true for the class menu.
~CobaltBW

"Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal." - Earl Nightingale

Saniblues

• Onion Knight

Well then just make it so M2 brings up the build menu and M1 builds or destroys.

Or hey, you could make it do an animation that you can cancel out instead. Nobody in this community would ever think of doing that, though. Making an animation that takes all of five seconds to make, absurd right?

CobaltBW

• Veteran Beta Tester
  • Blue Warrior

Well then just make it so M2 brings up the build menu and M1 builds or destroys.
Why do that when we can simply not have the menu all? You're trying to keep something in when it was removed for being utterly useless.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 02:39:27 pm by Blue Warrior »
~CobaltBW

"Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal." - Earl Nightingale

Saniblues

• Onion Knight

And you're trying to cater exclusively to the combat engies without considering how that affects regular engies.

Hey try reading the second sentence. That's called meeting people halfway.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 02:42:30 pm by ♫Sani♫ »

CobaltBW

• Veteran Beta Tester
  • Blue Warrior

And you're trying to cater exclusively to the combat engies without considering how that affects regular engies.
It doesn't.
~CobaltBW

notajf

It doesn't.
I concur. Sure, I am the one ultimately responsible for its removal, but I can honestly say I've accidentally taunted far more often than I've "accidentally" right-clicked. Heck, I don't think I've ever done that.

Saniblues

• Onion Knight

So you're saying that you would put a rabid dog inbetween you and the remote to a television just because you've never contracted rabies before? That's kind of like creating a killswitch as a built in feature just because you've never accidentally pressed a button.

It's going to happen.

Derpduck

• 2011 Haxxy Finalist

Toggleable option, anyone?

CobaltBW

• Veteran Beta Tester
  • Blue Warrior

So you're saying that you would put a rabid dog inbetween you and the remote to a television just because you've never contracted rabies before? That's kind of like creating a killswitch as a built in feature just because you've never accidentally pressed a button.

It's going to happen.
It will happen maybe once to you within the next year if your brain doesn't have control over the buttons you press. And once again, that's a poor analogy.

Are you done making bullshit excuses now?
~CobaltBW

notajf

:trophy:
WORST ANALOGY AWARD 2012
PRESENTED TO

INSANI

FOR

It's going to happen.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:06:52 pm by ß »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 36 queries.