April 29, 2024, 10:17:56 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Gang Garrison 2.4.3 - the too tired to write a proper announcement update  (Read 32275 times)

notajf

spies stabbing 4 people at time a.k.a making everyone play spy This isn't a bug, it's a feature well, stabbing FOUR isn't. it's supposed to be limited to 2... I'm looking at you, Orpheon
soldier rockets spazing the fuck out on my gg2 maybe you should get a better computer/play on a better server ping counts aren't for nothing
demo mines blowing up randomly even though i didn't press my right mouse button in my gg2 enemy detos and rocketman can blow them up. he didn't realise that? =/

i am actually very happy for all features.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:25:26 pm by ß »

Orpheon

• 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Developer

spies stabbing 4 people at time a.k.a making everyone play spy This isn't a bug, it's a feature well, stabbing FOUR isn't. it's supposed to be limited to 2... I'm looking at you, Orpheon
I'm looking at everyone who didn't test the build. And no, I couldn't. You know why.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:40:03 pm by Orpheon »

notajf

I'm looking at everyone who didn't test the build. And no, I couldn't. You know why.
Even though it's cripplingly slow you can still host a server and 4 clients at once.

barely

Orpheon

• Developer

Even though it's cripplingly slow you can still host a server and 4 clients at once.

barely
Uhh...you realise that until a few days before the release I couldn't execute gg2?

notajf

barely
Uhh...you realise that until a few days before the release I couldn't execute gg2?
wat?

Orpheon

• Developer

barely
wat?
I had still have, actually, a few problems between opengl and wine. Wine complained that it needed Opengl to simulate DirectX, and GG2 complained that it needed DirectX. After 1.5 weeks of asking everywhere and then just trying everything possible, I managed to find a workaround which now allows me to execute gg2. But I didn't have that for most of those two weeks, and when I did have it I had 4 exams.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:37:31 pm by Orpheon »

notajf

barely
wat?
I had still have, actually, a few problems between opengl and wine. Wine complained that it needed Opengl to simulate DirectX, and GG2 complained that it needed DirectX. After 1.5 weeks of asking everywhere and then just trying everything possible, I managed to find a workaround which now allows me to execute gg2. But I didn't have that for most of those two weeks, and when I did have it I had 4 exams.
Ah, I see.

Linux sucks as a desktop OS, I just wish it didn't. Maybe when ReactOS enters beta I could work with the devs to implement a POSIX subsystem. That would be amazing. Windows applications and driver support plus POSIX subsystem for all your favourite UNIX applications and utilities.

Orpheon

• Developer

barely
wat?
Ah, I see.

Linux sucks as a desktop OS, I just wish it didn't. Maybe when ReactOS enters beta I could work with the devs to implement a POSIX subsystem. That would be amazing. Windows applications and driver support plus POSIX subsystem for all your favourite UNIX applications and utilities.
Heh, helping wine seems a bit more fruitful for me, tbh.

notajf

Quite a bit of ReactOS's userland comes from Wine. You can contribute to both :z6:

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --

barely
This is seriously a dumb argument. You should be able to implement something without relying on testers to make sure it's not gamebreaking broken.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

notajf

barely
This is seriously a dumb argument. You should be able to implement something without relying on testers to make sure it's not gamebreaking broken.
...true, and if you can't test your code AT ALL, you shouldn't be writing more.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --

Well, I asked him to write it, but he assumed it was unbroken because I said it "worked" (as in ran and DID stab multiple targets). I didn't say anything about bugginess though and I've been over this before.

ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Orpheon

• Developer

barely
...true, and if you can't test your code AT ALL, you shouldn't be writing more.
Wareya asked me to write it, even with this disability.

Well, I asked him to write it, but he assumed it was unbroken because I said it "worked" (as in ran and DID stab multiple targets). I didn't say anything about bugginess though and I've been over this before.
No, I assumed (correctly) that all I could do is give it to you to test and give it to the community as part of the beta to test. Neither was effective enough, I couldn't really do anything else. You can never guarantee that code is bugfree, however simple.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --

No, I assumed (correctly) that all I could do is give it to you to test and give it to the community as part of the beta to test. Neither was effective enough, I couldn't really do anything else. You can never guarantee that code is bugfree, however simple.
You assumed (wrongly) that giving it to me (who only makes sure the basic feature works correctly without hitch) and the community (that doesn't test anything ever) to test was going to be more effective than going back to the code (once in a while) and making sure that you didn't make any common GG2 coding mistakes (order of execution, variable definition, event call quirks) (which you made two of)

if numKills <= maxKills
        {
            numKills += 1
        }
        else
        {
            instance_destroy();
        }

This should be this:

numKills += 1
        if (numKills > maxKills)
        {
            instance_destroy();
        }

The else is never called because you never increment the num past max, and test for at most equality. Seriously, this took me at most five seconds to figure out when I saw the code just now with a clear mind. You got stuck thinking about the problem one way and it was confusing everyone else you told about it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:56:26 am by Wareya »

Orpheon

• Developer

You assumed (wrongly) that giving it to me (who only makes sure the basic feature works correctly without hitch) and the community (that doesn't test anything ever) to test was going to be more effective than going back to the code (once in a while) and making sure that you didn't make any common GG2 coding mistakes (order of execution, variable definition, event call quirks) (which you made two of)

if numKills <= maxKills
        {
            numKills += 1
        }
        else
        {
            instance_destroy();
        }

This should be this:

numKills += 1
        if (numKills > maxKills)
        {
            instance_destroy();
        }

The else is never called because you never increment the num past max, and test for at most equality. Seriously, this took me at most five seconds to figure out when I saw the code just now with a clear mind. You got stuck thinking about the problem one way and it was confusing everyone else you told about it.
Looking at the code never guarantees no errors. It's like saying that you should never make any mistakes ever if you have time to look it through. It just doesn't happen, which is why coding without testing is idiocy.
Which is why I depended on you and the community.

Also, good work on the fix. Will you commit?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 35 queries.