April 23, 2024, 04:40:44 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reminder: Copyright and hotlinking  (Read 5117 times)

MedO

• Owns this place
Reminder: Copyright and hotlinking
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:45:35 pm »

Hi everyone.

Due to a recent development, I would like to remind you of two things:
- Posting copyrighted content without permission is illegal and against the forum rules. This also applies to images.
- While not explicitly mentioned in the rules, hotlinking images without permission is also considered illegal. Of course, using services which explicitly allow embedding (youtube, various image hosters) is fine.

If we are made aware that you have broken these rules, the offending posts will be deleted and strikes/bans will be dealt out as by the forum rules. Therefore, it would be in your own best interest to check your old posts, avatars and signatures as well and either remove hotlinked images or copy them to an image hoster, if you are allowed to use them.

Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:45:53 pm by MedO »
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
Re: Reminder: Copyright and hotlinking
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:57:43 pm »

How are we supposed to verify copyrighted images?

Footpöp

• Seasoned Member
  • I /saw/ him
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:33:42 pm »

If it has a copyright watermark in some corner, as quite a few professional pictures do.
Team /ABC/

Dusty

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Dust in a box under a table
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:56:35 am »

Uhm, aren't just about all the damn images on this forum copyrighted in some shape or form?

How will we post images that we ourselves didn't make then? Such as the 'Art you didn't make yourself, but wanted to share' thread?

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:18:20 am »

fair use etc

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:37:20 am »

How are we supposed to verify copyrighted images?
With difficulty. If you are talking about moderation, this is not something you can reasonably check for every image. As for posting, you need to make sure that the person who created the image is ok with having it redistributed - either due to licensing conditions on the original site (e.g. Creative Commons), or by asking, or because of the nature of the image. Many people are very relaxed about this and happy to have more people look at their work, but don't want to concern themselves with licensing questions. If you are sure this is the case, you should at least add a link to the source and mentioning who the artist is isn't a bad idea either. However, you are responsible for what you post, and if there are founded complaints, we are legally required to remove the offending posts.

Edit: When in doubt, better use a normal link to the original site instead of embedding the image.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:24:23 am by MedO »
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 06:33:42 pm »

Ill give you guys the gist of what happened; MedO got an email that was probably from a bot or something about hotlinking. The message itself is horseshit but it brings up a point of interest for us.

We're held under german law since this is a german server, and there are some particular historic events we can't discuss without the admins- specifically MedO- getting shit from the german manifestation of "the man." If you do it, you'll likely get a warning or strike. If you do mass spam of that shit even once, though, you're likely gonna get banned. End of story.

Be careful about where you link images from, too. This is common sense for most of us, but you shouldn't say, copy the link to a 4chan-esque site and post it here, especially if their "no hotlinking" image is goatse. Upload it to a mirror, like Tinypic or Imageshack. Dropbox is a wonderful service since you can install the software to your computer and upload images simply by dragging them to a folder.

Use your heads when posting
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 10:25:38 pm »

:z4:

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 02:24:33 am »

The point is that whoever sent this mail is legally right, and we are required to make sure no illegal content is distributed through this site (not limited to racist stuff), so hotlinked images that could be changed by someone unknown are a risk (not just for us, but for the person posting as well).

As an aside, of course "particular historic events" can be discussed, you make it sound like the third reich is a forbidden topic. What is illegal is the use of certain symbols outside of an artistic or history discussion context, and to be on the safe side we don't allow them here at all.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:05:23 am by MedO »

Speed of Dark

• Veteran Member
  • i've got more dust in m pinky than u kids bodyss
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 07:59:40 am »

Therefore, it would be in your own best interest to check your old posts, avatars and signatures as well and either remove hotlinked images or copy them to an image hoster, if you are allowed to use them.
Well, avatars and signatures are updated for all your posts if you change them, so it's just a matter of checking your current one, but you want us to go through literally thousands of posts over the course of years searching for hotlinks and watermarked images?

Weak.
1:14 AM - Sani (Tethering is awful): if i go offline for no reason that means i've tried closing malwarebytes and in retaliation it decided to spit out an overflow and my computer not onl
1:14 AM - Spud: ah i see
Sani (Tethering is awful) is now Offline.

Meower

• Elder God tier or Fagthulu, the great
  • Community Manager
  • Went fat once, never went back
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 08:43:12 am »

Don't be silly speedo, medo's just asking to take extra care when getting pictures that might get us in trouble, and edit pictures that have been changed to something unpleasant while you weren't looking, were you to stumble upon 'em.

Brooklyn

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 02:07:15 pm »

no gelbooru allowed

billymaze

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 01:10:34 am »

Oh dear, this is going to be a pain

I guess I'll just post gg2 stuff now to be safe. But wait... Does this also apply to say... Screenshots of other games, like for instance if I want to show off something cool I did, would what be violating this, because Mojang teschnically owns the contents?

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 02:29:40 am »

Mojang have always said that they are completely ok with this kind of thing. Besides, iirc it falls under fair use.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 36 queries.