June 16, 2019, 01:38:49 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat with us online! (or @irc.esper.net/#gg2)
Come Mumble with us!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: Brainstorm Thread  (Read 40387 times)

RocketJumpFreak35

• Spy is trollin' mah sentry
Re: Brainstorm Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 01:50:54 pm »

this thread is for brainstorming thread ideas that pertain to tournaments or competitive play, not for brainstorming ideas in general.

its a tournament, the high scores will be registered and a winner will be announced.

Chu

• Dino man
  • 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • hm
    • Steam Account
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 10:37:51 pm »

So I had an idea for a type of tourney: Two groups of a number of 4v4 teams fight each other for the most points

As with the February 4v4 tourney, people would sign up teams of 4 players (and a couple subs if necessary). Out of these teams, two are randomly selected to become the captains for either group. They then take turns picking teams to join their group. After the selection, each of the 4v4 teams will fight each team in the other group, round-robin style. Individual points are tallied, but the point total for each group is what decides the winner.

I'd also like to use this tourney style to test out other game modes competitively. A/D can be done with stopwatch regulations, while 3cp can be played as a normal match. Gen and Arena maps could be a possibility, but we would have to determine suitable maps beforehand. Depending on the number of teams, each team would ideally play a match of all CTF, CP, ARENA, and GEN maps, but if there are not enough teams a less popular game mode can be cut out.

Discuss etc
Click links.

trog

• member of intel's squad of garbagemen against the yakuza
  • Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 05:01:01 am »

I think 4 maps could get a bit long, especially if you play an a/d map.

PM me your apps for my clan

92% of people who see this will not
have the guts to repost it. When Goku
died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.

I_am_awesome

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 08:42:27 am »

So I had an idea for a type of tourney: Two groups of a number of 4v4 teams fight each other for the most points

As with the February 4v4 tourney, people would sign up teams of 4 players (and a couple subs if necessary). Out of these teams, two are randomly selected to become the captains for either group. They then take turns picking teams to join their group. After the selection, each of the 4v4 teams will fight each team in the other group, round-robin style. Individual points are tallied, but the point total for each group is what decides the winner.

I really like that idea, but you won't get enough 4v4 teams. Feb tourney had 8 I think and 2 or 3 of these teams barely showed up

Intel Gourd

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 06:22:09 pm »

[10]: guilty as charged. it'll be a subfest because just  4 people with usually conflicting timezones are called on to play, which is why teams with larger playercounts are better suited for attendance

trog

• Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 06:46:32 pm »

That doesn't make sense gourd. How is organizing 12 people to be on at the same time easier than organizing 8 if you have the same pool of people to choose from?

died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.

Intel Gourd

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 06:47:39 pm »

what i meant was if you have more people in a team then it is easier to pick and choose people for smaller games

actually dunno if that makes sense

trog

• Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 06:59:53 pm »

Well you're actually right in some way. Although it's pretty different from what you're trying to say.

In 4v4 changing one person makes a huge difference to the general skill level of the entire team, because all players play important roles that can't really be filled by others. In that case, having subs can really change your team and teams without consistent rosters aren't consistently good/bad. At least in most cases.

In 6v6 if you have a sub that's not that good, shove him on engie or something and he won't drag down the team by a huge amount. So having subs that aren't ideal doesn't matter as much.

But then if you were playing 4v4 you might not have even needed subs in the first place...

Basically if expect to have a larger group of people online, but not the same people every time, go with 6v6. If you expect to have a smaller group of people who show up every time, go with 4v4.

GG2, and especially the tournament suggested if teams are allowed to borrow players as subs from their group, seems to fit the 6v6 criteria better, but you should also take into account 6v6 sucks haha other things like what maps you want to play, what format you think is better, etc.

]GS[ Airman

• Overglorified A/C unit.
  • Veteran Beta Tester
  • Look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane
    • General Silliness
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 07:12:07 pm »

we need a pick-up game thread.
Quote from: Speed of Dark
I dunno man I was like "Oh Boy! I can't wait to see what's goin' on in Random Chatter tonight!" And then everything exploded and the universe itself was like "WELL FUCK YOUR SHIT HAVE A THOUSAND MEGAMANS"

Intel Gourd

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 07:16:26 pm »

but that's not really so competitive as throw together whoever you have and calling it a "competitive team" for the purpose of a quick, for all intents and purposes, forumer game

actual teams should take a lot of consideration into building, imo. so i think we shouldn't call them "pick-up games"

trivial but i think it might be nice if it seem as actual planning should be involved

]GS[ Airman

• Veteran Beta Tester
    • General Silliness
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2011, 07:20:55 pm »

no, like a pick-up game simply for the sake of having better competition than the rocketspammers people frequenting tavirider's. they used to happen before and that'd be a great thing to continue now.
I dunno man I was like "Oh Boy! I can't wait to see what's goin' on in Random Chatter tonight!" And then everything exploded and the universe itself was like "WELL FUCK YOUR SHIT HAVE A THOUSAND MEGAMANS"

trog

• Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 07:23:54 pm »

Problem is gg2noserv

If only we had tf2gg2lobby

Intel Gourd

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 07:25:38 pm »

Please, that idea would make this game, which is too small for such functions, less pub friendly. Less pub friendly = less players in general = no new talent and conversely no new servers

]GS[ Airman

• Veteran Beta Tester
    • General Silliness
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 07:28:15 pm »

not really as it'd only happen on specific days and be pre-scheduled, just like any typical war.

Intel Gourd

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 07:30:27 pm »

and then why not ask the server host to lock it and password manually instead of having 8 people type /scrim simultaneously and have to use vinmod just to war

eh this isnt the right topic i'll get on skype
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 35 queries.