June 16, 2019, 01:45:40 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat with us online! (or @irc.esper.net/#gg2)
Come Mumble with us!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rules  (Read 9872 times)

mrfredman

• Faucet Executive
  • Administrator
  • Shootin' Down Your Ideas Since 2008
    • My New Website
Rules
« on: November 09, 2010, 08:49:49 pm »

This forum is strictly for the organization of tournaments and competitive matches as well as discussion of tactics for competitive play. Off topic discussion is unnecessary and will not be tolerated.

This forum is reply only, meaning that only moderators can start new topics, this forum has a very limited function, so for now new topics will have to be verified by a moderator to prevent this space from becoming cluttered with unnecessary discussion.

Please follow RebelINS's guidelines for creating a topic.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:39:42 pm by mrfredman »

RebelINS

• Martial Expert
  • I am a rising contender, confident to win.
Re: Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:34:39 pm »

Important Note:
Please PM any questions and/or threads to me and pyrofag simultaneously. It makes it easier for us to collaborate and make decisions.

What is Competitive Gameplay?
The board description says, "A board for organizing competitive events and discussing competitive gameplay". So what does that entail? While exact definitions may differ from person to person, many would agree on the following defining traits:
1. smaller player limit. Ranges from 4v4 to 6v6.
2. implied class limits. The latest tournaments have been using an all class 1 limit, so that is the standard.
3. all players have a solid requisite knowledge of the game. You can't base strategies around taking advantage of ignorance.

Tournament Threads:

If you want to start a tournament thread, PM me with the OP and a subject heading: "tournament thread: thread title here"

It should contain all the relevant information in a nicely formatted fashion. Do try and plan as much of it as possible before starting up the tourney. There's nothing more annoying than having people drop out, or servers not being available. Relevant information includes: rules, map rotation, tournament format, participating players/teams, match schedules.

I will allow a general tournament thread for public discussion among participants. Be warned that excessive spam will be deleted at my discretion and I will warn offenders. Frequent offenders won't be banned from here, but will be advised to continue future conversations among participants in PMs.

Creating Competitive Discussion threads:
If you wish to start a discussion thread, PM me the OP with subject heading: "Comp thread: thread title here"
All OPs will be reviewed under the following criteria:
    - well thought out; not a dumping ground for random thoughts, unless the point of the thread is to intelligently brainstorm ideas (in which case feature requests would be more suitable).
    - not a closed ended thought process. these kinds of threads where everybody can agree and there are no questions asked don't serve much purpose. most of the times, questions will lead to more discussion than statements.
    - well written (if there's problems with the writing process, I can help out to make the writing tighter)
    - strictly for competitive play, which assumes 4v4, 5v5, or 6v6. please note which format you're referring to.

When thinking of a good topic, consider it more of a thesis statement, than a general gameplay statement. It's okay if you just want to make a topic to start some discussion on a subject, but remember to include your own thoughts to start the ball rolling.And remember, if you want intelligent replies, the OP should be the starting point for everybody.

Replying to Competitive Discussion threads:
Always try and back up statements with evidence. evidence can be in-game data, actual recalled experiences, made up (but realistic) scenarios, analogies comparing other things, etc. If you make a point without any valid evidence, don't be surprised if people ignore you. How you present your evidence is entirely up to you. just make sure you have substance along with your style.

If you disagree with someone, do not attack them as a poster, rather attack the point they are making. Ad hominem is attacking the validity of someone's argument by taking indirect "potshots" at their personality, or other irrelevant things.

If you agree with someone, don't just quote their post and say that you agree. you can paraphrase their post with extra points of evidence, or look at it from a different perspective.

If you're quoting large paragraphs, please place a spoiler around them to make it easier to read.

Other notes:

If you find a post that is offensive, lacks a great deal of evidence, is against any of the aforementioned rules, or if you're a tournament organizer wishing to clean up a thread, PM me with the subject header: "Comp Moderation: whatever here". Don't forget to link me to the post. If there is a level of subjectivity involved (a dubious claim in a discussion thread without evidence), give me an idea on how to resolve it. Because most of the times, I will not delete that post, but instead I will edit it with a warning, and give that poster a PM telling him/her to fix it.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Once you do have a thread approved, please post the OP in this thread (subject to change), and I will gladly split it for you. This is so you have credit as the author of the thread, and have control over the OP.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:32:41 pm by RebelINS »

a/d

• pro donglosaur
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:58:44 pm »

Interesting, I hope this breathes some life back into "serious" gg2.
go canada or whatever, maybe your country is cool too

trog

• member of intel's squad of garbagemen against the yakuza
  • Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 11:12:01 pm »

Any chance of getting rid of the no posting topics rule in the future?

PM me your apps for my clan

92% of people who see this will not
have the guts to repost it. When Goku
died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.

RebelINS

• Martial Expert
  • I am a rising contender, confident to win.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:13:52 pm »

You can debate that with mrfredman. If you want help planning a good debate, send me a PM, and I'll see what I can do to change the rules.

Baffle-Boy

• Seasoned Member
  • INDEED.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 12:36:09 am »

very concise set of rules. it's nice to have a part of the forum just for this so people know what events are going on in competitive GG2.
I used to play GG2. Was nice.

Snare

• International Rep
  • Veteran Beta Tester
  • Momentai...
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 01:25:46 am »

You should move the feb. tourney thread over heather.

http://www.ganggarrison.com/forums/index.php?topic=17704.0

Edit : Oh and that international thing.

http://www.ganggarrison.com/forums/index.php?topic=20973.0
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:26:52 am by Snare »

Teekytots [PC][OG]

• Retired Big Man
  • Soldier of Fortune
  • Fear is only a State of Mind
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 05:57:14 am »

Well, someone already moved those :z7:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:58:38 am by Teekytots [PC:CWD] »
I have signatures turned off

RightBehindYou

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 06:54:47 am »

Oh cool new board.  :z6:

♫Ozoh

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 07:33:08 am »

Oh cool new board.  :z6:
Gz for 1000th post.

Great we got this at last.
BECAUSE! MR SECRET CAN'T. F**KING. DO ANYTHING!!!!
quote what are you doing get rid of that banana you're going to hurt somebody

]GS[ Airman

• Overglorified A/C unit.
  • Veteran Beta Tester
  • Look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane
    • General Silliness
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 08:49:13 am »

You can debate that with mrfredman. If you want help planning a good debate, send me a PM, and I'll see what I can do to change the rules.
It's pretty easy to lock/delete topics if you need to do it and having to approve everything (there's a lot of topics I want to start right now) is kind of a pain in the ass. :z4:
Quote from: Speed of Dark
I dunno man I was like "Oh Boy! I can't wait to see what's goin' on in Random Chatter tonight!" And then everything exploded and the universe itself was like "WELL FUCK YOUR SHIT HAVE A THOUSAND MEGAMANS"

One

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 09:04:31 am »

It's pretty easy to lock/delete topics if you need to do it and having to approve everything (there's a lot of topics I want to start right now) is kind of a pain in the ass. :z4:
Unless some sort of raid happens, you'll probably not have any trouble controlling new topics if you make it an open forum.

trog

• member of intel's squad of garbagemen against the yakuza
  • Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 02:28:44 pm »

hu pyriguy

why he modod

PM me your apps for my clan

92% of people who see this will not
have the guts to repost it. When Goku
died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.

Kitten-Ren

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 04:00:12 pm »

i raid u

In all seriousness, I don't like this section very much, but I'm gonna get back into playing GG2 and hopefully I can enjoy this competitive tourney stuff.

One

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 04:00:59 pm »

i raid u

In all seriousness, I don't like this section very much, but I'm gonna get back into playing GG2 and hopefully I can enjoy this competitive tourney stuff.
i delete u

That sounds good.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:03:12 pm by pyroguy »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 35 queries.