December 01, 2021, 03:04:30 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just some quick tips before requesting a new forum feature.  (Read 15649 times)

Intel Gourd

Hey, it's Intel Guard. Forgive me if you peg this as "backseat moderation," but I think some facts need to be cleared before people ask for things.

The Gang Garrison Forums is a Simple Machines Forum, v1.1.11 to be exact. This is an outdated version of SMF, v2.0 RC3 being the most recent, but it has been widely considered optimal for most forums. It comes with a set of forum features that can be accessed via the Admin Panel (it goes without saying only Administrators or groups with special permissions can access this panel) and most of these features can be turned on or activated simply by clicking on a check box.

For example, karma. Karma is relatively simple to work. There is a certain screen where you configure whether or not the forum displays karma, and you can rename applauds and smites. This is all default, and comes with this version of SMF.

Everything else that doesn't come with SMF is considered a "modification." People on the official SMF support site code features that can be applied to your forum. For example, Aeva media or "Country Flags.". So let's say you have a forum, and you want to add a field for members to put their nationality. You would go find this mod, see if it's compatible with v1.1.11, and save the .zip file. Then a nifty admin panel feature called the Package Manager does all the work. It extracts the files and applies everything. I tell you this to explain how new forum features are added to GG2.

As far as I know, none of the webstaff currently code SMF features or work in conjunction with the SMF forums. So they can't just magically add on things. They have to find them in the SMF modifications site.

Here it is.

This archives all the custom features and mods users of SMF have sent in. Many of them, if you look through, are compatible only with certain versions of SMF. If you load an incompatible mod into the Package Manager, it won't work.

So, before you request something, I think it's advisable you double-check at the mods site first. If it isn't there, chances are it won't be implemented. Bear in mind v1.1.11 is an outdated version of SMF, and not many people code for it anymore. So when you want to request something, let's say an anti-bot measure, here's what you could do:

Go to the mods site, search for it. Check to see if it's compatible with 1.1.11. If it is, just copy and paste the page link into your topic.

Quote from: example
Hey. I see that you guys have recently been having bot troubles. This can help deter bots if implemented.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1078

It's a simple math/logic puzzle you have to solve upon registration. It's fully compatible with our version of SMF, etc. etc. etc.

---

On a side note, if there is a problem regarding SMF that the mods can't pinpoint or fix, try the SMF community forums. Better yet, head over to SMF 1.x Support. Keep in mind, this community moves at glacial pace and probably won't get to you that quickly, if at all. Maybe you might get lucky though.

Hope this helped.

tl;dr check the SMF mods site before requesting something impossible.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:37:10 am by Intel Guard »

a/d

• pro donglosaur
Re: Just some quick tips before requesting a new forum feature.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 07:23:20 pm »

Should clear up a great deal of forum-related queries
go canada or whatever, maybe your country is cool too

Intel Gourd

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:24:18 pm »

Yeah. Pretty much my goal. If we posted an actual link to a modification, implementation is much easier.

Teekytots [PC][OG]

• Retired Big Man
  • Soldier of Fortune
  • Fear is only a State of Mind
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:16:45 pm »

I love locking spambot threads
I have signatures turned off

Intel Gourd

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:31:46 pm »

Um, what does that have to do with anything?

Dusty

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Dust in a box under a table
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:59:32 am »

hm. so any mod we want to add has to be compatible with 1.1.11?
theres no way we could use an older 1.x?

edit: also we should add this:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1915
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:02:39 am by Blu Dragon »

Intel Gourd

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 11:00:43 am »

It depends. Normally, it won't work. I can go check later, but for now it's a no. 

BuyAHatGetAGame

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 12:39:29 pm »

Some of the mods are hideously outdated here (spoilers, for instance). The compatibility is rarely an issue, but if you hack together a few files in the plugin that tell it it can't be used with 1.11, you can make it more. I'm not sure how, look it up, it's somewhat of a lengthy process though.

I'd doubt the admins would implement it though.

Intel Gourd

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 12:44:28 pm »

Yeah, compatibility can still screw you over. I messed around with mods in the IEL package manager and found incompatible mods just wouldn't work or were faulty.

cats4gold

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 01:03:22 pm »

A mod should sticky this.

Intel Gourd

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 01:06:24 pm »

Waiting on fredman to deem whether or not I should've done this.

Jebus Chris

• Veteran Beta Tester
  • No problem here.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 11:16:58 pm »

Sticky  :z6:

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 08:04:38 pm »

half the threads in website and forums get locked

maybe we should do something

Kitten-Ren

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »

Oh snap, I thought of an awesome new idea.

Let's tell the forumers and newbies that this isn't the section to make personal attacks and ban requests.

Dusty

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Dust in a box under a table
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 05:15:21 pm »

Yeah, but what about that asshole that was posting all the gore pictures? that ban request was a good idea (and it seemed he didn't post in this section)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 49 queries.