December 01, 2021, 03:44:35 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Garrison Builder - Cspots Versions (use those for editing the GB)  (Read 52841 times)

cspotcode

• Coder
  • Administrator
Re: Garrison Builder - Latest Version
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 07:19:17 pm »

Nice job, this should help some people, though in game after getting the map to work, it seemed like the whole map was "solid," and I couldn't move out of the exact spot where I spawned.

Was the pixel in the lower left corner the same color as the parts of the walkmask that represent open space (not walls)?  In the editor, you can toggle walkmask visibility on and off to make sure it's working correctly.

No. It still won't let me get out.

There's your problem.  The lower-left pixel of the walkmask must be the exact same color as the "open space" color.  So, if the floors and walls are all in black and the hallways and open spaces are in white, then the absolute lower-left pixel of the walkmask must also be white.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
- Douglas Adams

Genesis

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 07:27:35 pm »

It works now, thanks.

0_0

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008, 03:33:20 pm »

Saved...

AnDrEw

• Veteran Beta Tester
  • Miyazaki ftw
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 03:41:18 pm »

Sometimes when I add the intel, spawns, etc...  An intel or spawn point ends up in the upper right hand corner of the map.  The intel or spawn point isn't touching any walls, and I only put one intel in... Idk what the problem is.
Anne drew Andrew and Drew, and Druanne drew Anne, Drew, Andrew, and Ru.

cspotcode

• Coder
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 03:48:03 pm »

If you send me the map file, I can take a look at the internal data structure and see if there's a problem.

EDIT: I should clarify: I'd need the exact file that causes an intel or spawn to appear in the upper right hand corner in-game (not in-editor).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:49:35 pm by cspotcode »
- Douglas Adams

AnDrEw

• Veteran Beta Tester
  • Miyazaki ftw
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 04:27:07 pm »

I think the red intel is in the upper right hand corner in this one.

EDIT - you can see it if you load it in-game before you choose a team.  It's within that upper-left area.

Double Edit - It seems that if something ends up at the top of the map, it corresponds to directly above the spot I put it.  thus red intel was in upper left area, blue spawn was in upper right corner.  it's like it is sent to the top because it's invalid, but then in-game someone spawns there, or the intel is there.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:02:05 pm by AnDrEw »
Anne drew Andrew and Drew, and Druanne drew Anne, Drew, Andrew, and Ru.

Thaxos

• Disgusting prick
  • I can has cheezburger?
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 05:14:25 pm »

Confused

cspotcode

• Coder
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 07:29:44 pm »

I think the red intel is in the upper right hand corner in this one.

EDIT - you can see it if you load it in-game before you choose a team.  It's within that upper-left area.

Double Edit - It seems that if something ends up at the top of the map, it corresponds to directly above the spot I put it.  thus red intel was in upper left area, blue spawn was in upper right corner.  it's like it is sent to the top because it's invalid, but then in-game someone spawns there, or the intel is there.

Thanks, I figured out what the problem was.  Your level file was valid, and the Garrison Builder was working correctly, but my game code to load the level had a bug.  I've posted the patch in the development organization thread, so the next version should have the problem fixed.  In the mean time, adding an extra "throw-away" entity (a door in the middle of nowhere, for example) may make the problem go away.
- Douglas Adams

Thaxos

• Disgusting prick
  • I can has cheezburger?
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 09:37:48 pm »

Excellent

0_0

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2008, 04:16:59 pm »

AcidLead

• The Flash of the Action
  • Veteran Beta Tester
  • Our hero returns triumphant. Execute him at once.
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 02:18:58 pm »

This is the first post ever made by AcidLead, way back in the day of November 11, 2008, at 2:19 pm. It's not much to look at, it's not even a hello, but I was getting down to business right away. It's too bad that my attempt to contribute what I could didn't last, but I was disillusioned to start with. Anyways, here's the post, untainted from that first day save the milestone lookback:

"Ok. I have the editor, I made an image for background and saved it as a PNG file, made a wallmask-type image also, used the editor to open each file to the proper spot, placed some entities, saved the entities to a file, and promptly hit a "what do I do now" moment. Tried the seemingly self-explanatory "compile" button, but no way I used it worked to create a level that GG2 would load, in any way at all. I don't quite know what I'm doing right and wrong beyond "I have two images and a file with some position-object references". Um, help please I guess."

I would later go on to make and abandon a map named Fences, which was ambitious but too small and crowded. You can tell which old users stopped coming to the forum mostly by how they deleted their old accounts during the fad. Also, while many posts were deleted in the two nukes the forum took, I'm pretty damn sure this was my first post ever - And that's not just here, but on the whole internet. Although the whole experience has stripped me of my innocence and ability to do nothing all day, I feel it has made me a more cohesive personality. Anyways, next stop on the tour is a few years farther back on the line - See you all back in 1998.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:59:34 pm by AcidLead »
fire at cyberdisc
eighty-five percent hit chance
doh, she missed the shot

Bass

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 02:20:27 pm »

Ok. I have the editor, I made an image for background and saved it as a PNG file, made a wallmask-type image also, used the editor to open each file to the proper spot, placed some entities, saved the entities to a file, and promptly hit a "what do I do now" moment. Tried the seemingly self-explanatory "compile" button, but no way I used it worked to create a level that GG2 would load, in any way at all. I don't quite know what I'm doing right and wrong beyond "I have two images and a file with some position-object references". Um, help please I guess.
Seconed :woot:

Asdf64

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 02:35:11 pm »

I'll say step by step what to do.

1. Add your Backround.
2. Add your collision map with "load wall-mask".
3. Add spawns, intel, etc.
4. Hit "Embed leveldata in PNG", and save it over your backround PNG.
5. Make a map folder (name it maps without a capital m) and put your map(s) in the same folder as GG2.
6. Load the custom map in GG2.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:35:50 pm by Asdf64 »

AcidLead

• The Flash of the Action
  • Veteran Beta Tester
  • Our hero returns triumphant. Execute him at once.
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 02:43:12 pm »

Ok I'll try it now. Sounds like it was all little detail stuff. This is good to have posted now, Thanks asdf64!

Edit: Uh oh. It seems like it should have worked, I didn't get an empty level this time, but... I got 2dfort instead. 2dfort exactly. That's really weird.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:49:07 pm by AcidLead »
fire at cyberdisc
eighty-five percent hit chance
doh, she missed the shot

0_0

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2008, 02:55:47 pm »

Ok I'll try it now. Sounds like it was all little detail stuff. This is good to have posted now, Thanks asdf64!

Edit: Uh oh. It seems like it should have worked, I didn't get an empty level this time, but... I got 2dfort instead. 2dfort exactly. That's really weird.

2. "load wall-mask" the PNG FILE!.
3. Add spawns, intel, HEALTH.
4. Hit "Embed leveldata in PNG", and save it over your background PNG.
5. Make a map folder (name it maps without a capital m) and put your map(s) in the same folder as GG2.
6. Load the custom map in GG2 by HOSTING on map#10.
7. Type the name of the edited PNG file without *.png
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 35 queries.