February 28, 2020, 05:31:28 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.
Chat with us online! (or @irc.esper.net/#gg2)
Come Mumble with us!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: Personal Port Fowarding Visual Guide  (Read 72392 times)

Sjaak

Re: Personal Port Fowarding Visual Guide
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2009, 11:08:05 am »

Ok, let me shed some light on some matters here.

The following is for WinXP only. I have no experience with Vista or 7 so the commands might work (most likely) but I can't give any insurances.

What you need to do if you want to know what your local IP is and where your router will most likely be located is the following:

Step 1: Hold the Windows button and press R. This calls up the Run window.

Step 2: Type "cmd" (without quotation marks ofcourse). This puts you in the DOS commandline.

Step 3: Type "ipconfig /all"  (again without quotation marks). This gives you your IP configuration.

Step 4: Look at the line after "IP Address". That is your local IP address. Write it down. Now. Or remember it. Yeah that works too.

Step 5: Look at the line after "Default Gateway". That is your modem/router or proxy. Most of you do not use a proxy, especially when you're at home, therefore you need to write down this IP address.

Step 6: Open your web browser (IE or Firefox or Opera or Chrome or whatever)

Step 7: Type the IP-address of your modem/router in the address bar. (the bar that says www.google.com, when you're on google.)

Step 8: Depending on the router you use you need to type in your admin credentials. If you don't know what they are, either search for your modem/router here or try the following:
  • user: blank  password: blank
  • user: admin  password: blank
  • user: Admin  password: blank
  • user: admin  password: admin
  • user: Admin  password: Admin

Step 9: Figure your router out to make it forward ports. Keywords to look for are:

• Port Forwarding
  • Forwarding
  • NAT

Info:
The trick behind port forwarding is really simple.
Port forwarding uses rules to tell which traffic is allowed (and whereto) and which traffic isn't. The rules usually consist of the following elements:
  • Name --> This is the name you can give your rule. This is mainly for the user so he can easily identify the program behind the rule
  • Type --> This is the type of traffic that the router should be looking for when using this rule. It can UDP, TCP or some other IP traffic type. Just set this to TCP.
  • Internal address/LAN server IP/internal IP --> This is where you should put your own IP address (remember step 4?). The name of this element depends on the manufacturer.
  • Remote IP/outside IP/outside address --> This element usually has the option of setting it to any. Use that setting. It means that the traffic of everyone and everything that want to communicate with your computer/server is accepted with this rule
  • Inside port/private port --> This is where you type in the port GG2 uses (default is 8190). This is the port that the traffic will be arriving at, at your computer.
  • Outside port/public port --> Also use 8190 for this since GG2, installed on everybody else's computer will use this port to check if it can connect (I'm correct about this, aren't I Devs?) This port will be the port that will be opened on your router.

With this information, you should be able to host a server.
If you encounter any problems, just post in this thread and I'll post as soon as I can to help you guys out (if I can ofcourse)

Good luck.

PS. I've attached a picture so you can see the outcome of the 'ipconfig /all' command

mrfredmаn

• Fool
  • Shootin' Down Your Ideas Since 2008
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2009, 04:58:42 pm »

Quack

• I eat babies
  • Soldier of Fortune
  • Dong dong never die
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2009, 05:10:49 pm »

mmmmmmmm.....it is very useful. Sure, why not.
Steam name is Quackss      Founder of (NI)

The Spy Who Died (TSWD)

• I'm daed nao.
Re: PERSONAL PORT FOWARDING HELP
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2009, 02:14:27 pm »

(click to show/hide)
So if I do all of this exactly it will work?
I will always be with you.

mrfredmаn

• Fool
  • Shootin' Down Your Ideas Since 2008
Re: PERSONAL PORT FOWARDING HELP
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2009, 02:58:17 pm »

(click to show/hide)
So if I do all of this exactly it will work?
Yes, this guide is basically fool-proof

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2009, 01:07:00 pm »

where does it take you?

NAGN

• Developer
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2009, 01:47:45 pm »

hm.

Well, if you don't have a website, you can put in your external ip too, it should be next to your report to moderator in your posts

Wherewolf

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2010, 03:57:40 pm »

I've always had the same link to my router as you do, but now that link doesn't work for me. I checked the ipconfig thing and the numbers haven't changed.. I can't get in.

NAGN

• Developer
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2010, 04:11:40 pm »

I've always had the same link to my router as you do, but now that link doesn't work for me. I checked the ipconfig thing and the numbers haven't changed.. I can't get in.
So you can't access it?

Wherewolf

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2010, 04:14:15 pm »

Nope.

I get this:
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6026/80322792.png

I tried with IE too.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:18:51 pm by [MERC] Wherewolf »

blah

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2010, 04:34:18 pm »

Ok, let me shed some light on some matters here.

The following is for WinXP only. I have no experience with Vista or 7 so the commands might work (most likely) but I can't give any insurances.

What you need to do if you want to know what your local IP is and where your router will most likely be located is the following:

Step 1: Hold the Windows button and press R. This calls up the Run window.

Step 2: Type "cmd" (without quotation marks ofcourse). This puts you in the DOS commandline.

Step 3: Type "ipconfig /all"  (again without quotation marks). This gives you your IP configuration.

Step 4: Look at the line after "IP Address". That is your local IP address. Write it down. Now. Or remember it. Yeah that works too.

Step 5: Look at the line after "Default Gateway". That is your modem/router or proxy. Most of you do not use a proxy, especially when you're at home, therefore you need to write down this IP address.

Step 6: Open your web browser (IE or Firefox or Opera or Chrome or whatever)

Step 7: Type the IP-address of your modem/router in the address bar. (the bar that says www.google.com, when you're on google.)

Step 8: Depending on the router you use you need to type in your admin credentials. If you don't know what they are, either search for your modem/router here or try the following:
  • user: blank  password: blank
  • user: admin  password: blank
  • user: Admin  password: blank
  • user: admin  password: admin
  • user: Admin  password: Admin

Step 9: Figure your router out to make it forward ports. Keywords to look for are:

• Port Forwarding
  • Forwarding
  • NAT

Info:
The trick behind port forwarding is really simple.
Port forwarding uses rules to tell which traffic is allowed (and whereto) and which traffic isn't. The rules usually consist of the following elements:
  • Name --> This is the name you can give your rule. This is mainly for the user so he can easily identify the program behind the rule
  • Type --> This is the type of traffic that the router should be looking for when using this rule. It can UDP, TCP or some other IP traffic type. Just set this to TCP.
  • Internal address/LAN server IP/internal IP --> This is where you should put your own IP address (remember step 4?). The name of this element depends on the manufacturer.
  • Remote IP/outside IP/outside address --> This element usually has the option of setting it to any. Use that setting. It means that the traffic of everyone and everything that want to communicate with your computer/server is accepted with this rule
  • Inside port/private port --> This is where you type in the port GG2 uses (default is 8190). This is the port that the traffic will be arriving at, at your computer.
  • Outside port/public port --> Also use 8190 for this since GG2, installed on everybody else's computer will use this port to check if it can connect (I'm correct about this, aren't I Devs?) This port will be the port that will be opened on your router.

With this information, you should be able to host a server.
If you encounter any problems, just post in this thread and I'll post as soon as I can to help you guys out (if I can ofcourse)

Good luck.

PS. I've attached a picture so you can see the outcome of the 'ipconfig /all' command

I need help. I got to step 8, and I can't find where to enter the user/password thing, and my modem/router isn't showing up on that password-finding site.

NAGN

• Developer
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2010, 04:37:58 pm »

It'll be a popup

Also: Wherewolf, that means you might have the wrong local ip

Wherewolf

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2010, 04:41:13 pm »

..local IP?

This is my ipconfig btw.

blah

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2010, 04:44:31 pm »

I"m so confused. I managed to get a lucky guess on my password, but I can't find a button that says Port forward or whatever  :z7:.

NAGN

• Developer
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »

sounds like it shifted or something, your pc shouldn't have that ip

This'll be harder to do, try 192.168.1.0, but I'm not to sure

if you haven't secured it, use your external ip(the number in the corner of your posts) but most likely it won't work
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 36 queries.