January 26, 2022, 09:23:44 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Due to a rise in bot activity, new posters need to be approved before posting.

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: How to make maps  (Read 93092 times)

heavypyro

Re: How to make maps
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2009, 10:42:18 pm »

I tried it and its the same thing

8D :rocketmantaunt: LOLMAGGOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If some one kills you brutally, if you are good or bad, you're in heaven or hell in less than a second
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:49:20 pm by heavypyro »

heavypyro

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2009, 05:30:29 pm »

finally i got garrison to work, but i don' have the gg2.ini, and i dunno what to do =/

8D :rocketmantaunt: LOLMAGGOT

If someone got killed brutally,if you're good of bad, you're in heaven or hell in less than a second.

Snare

• International Rep
  • Veteran Beta Tester
  • Momentai...
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2009, 05:47:44 pm »

gg2.ini should be in the same folder as your gang garrison.exe

If not just reinstall gg2.

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2009, 08:35:21 pm »

gg2 ini is automatically created if it doesn't exist

boot up the game.

heavypyro

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2010, 04:48:44 pm »

ok... so its made up. it does not need it

Korby

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2010, 01:16:26 am »

I'm not entirely sure where to post this, but I'm trying to make a CP map, and the map is perfect, except I can't get capturing to work right. I have Capture points 1, 2, and 3 with Capture Zones around them...What do I do now?
Would it help if I posted the map?
Oink

Agh

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
    • My maps
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2010, 09:15:56 am »

Would it help if I posted the map?
Yes, post it!

Korby

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2010, 11:29:02 am »

I've tested everything else and it works perfectly, all classes can get everywhere, but for some reason, the CPs don't work.
Oink

Agh

• My maps
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2010, 04:46:55 pm »

Garrison Builder doesn't like you!
You didn't do anything wrong, but sometimes CP's don't work if you place them not in order. I removed the cps and then added them again at the same position and now it works:

Korby

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2010, 05:38:01 pm »

Awesome, thanks. I can't believe the only thing wrong was the program hating me.
Oink

heavypyro

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2010, 11:27:40 pm »

i made a ctf map but i posted it , but it didn't show up.

awcmon123

• "Stupid Friggin' Flamin' Queer-Homo"
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2010, 08:12:04 pm »

how do we make and load collision maps and BGs. can you also tell me the basics?  :panic:

Taters

• Veteran Beta Tester
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2010, 09:07:16 pm »

awcmon, here is an old guide I've been sitting on:

Before you start:
Make sure you have the essentials:

* Gang Garrison 2
    * Garrison Builder
    * Image editor of your choice

Personally, I would Graphics Gale for the wallmask and background, (More on those later) but there are alternatives like paint and pixen, to each his own.  Most people have their preferences, but having a layered image editor is incredibly useful while working on detailed maps.

Process of Map Composition

This is more of an issue of personal preference, but here is the most common way maps are created:

1. Create a wallmask
   2. Insert Spawns, intels/CPs
   3. Playtest, tweak wallmask until result is satisfactory
   4. Create a background
   5. Playtest
   6. Fine tune
   7. Repeat 5 and 6 as necessary

Create a test map
(Covering the basics for beginners, if you have some experience, feel free to skip this section.)

Right now you might be wondering what are wallmasks and backgrounds. A wallmask is essentially the skeleton of your map. It tells the game what a player can walk through, and what is solid. (fig 1) A background, on the other hand, is the flesh of a map, and is what the player sees while in-game. (fig 2) As stated before, most mappers start out with a wallmask, then work on a background. The advantage of this is that once a desirable map layout has been made, a background can be made and a completed map can be released promptly. The main disadvantage of this method is that the background is limited to the constraints of the layout, which can severely limit the aesthetic value of the map. However, working from background to wallmask leads to long sessions of tweaking, even for the smallest issues. Once again, it is a matter of personal preference, but remember to not limit yourself to one method only; experiment!

Hearing is hardly as useful as doing, so lets make our very own wallmask. Open up a image editor, and create a simple 20px by 60px rectangle (white inside with black lining.) Fill in the surrounding area with black. The most important step of making a wallmask, aside from getting a playable layout, is making it readable to the Garrison Builder. You do this simply by taking the lower left corner of your map and putting in a white pixel. Garrison Builder looks at this corner when it loads an image, the pixel in the very corner tells it what color indicates open space, and the pixel to it's right tells the Builder what color indicates a collision area. (fig 3) Remember to save your map as a .png file! For the purposes of this tutorial, name the map "testroom.png"

Now its time to open up Garrison Builder. The amount of buttons may be overwhelming, but for now we'll only need a couple for now. Click on the "Load Wallmask" button, then navigate to your map. Click on "Load Background" and just load up your wallmask again. (Outside the purpose of the tutorial, this is a fairly poor habit for wallmask creation. Don't do it) We are going to put in the spawns for both teams. A spawn consists of medicabinets, the two respawn entities, and team doors. The medicabinet, as it's name suggests, serves to heal damaged players. The first respawn entity is just a runner sprite; it tells GG2 where to spawn/respawn a character. The respawn room entity lets the game know where a spawn is. It is technically unecessary, as all the game needs is the spawn entity, but it removes the time it takes to change classes in the spawn, and is almost always included to avoid a break in gameplay. Lets go through this step by step:

1. Place the red team doors on the right side of the map, with ~15 pixels of space from the wall.
         2. Cover every inch of the spawn with the respawn room entity.
         3. Place the medicabinets wherever you want within the spawn, although they are normally opposite of the spawn entrance, or in the middle of the spawn if there are multiple entrances.
         4. Put the spawn entities in. You only technically need one, but generally you try to place about three or four within a spawn.

(fig 4)

If you messed something up, right-click deletes the entity underneath it. Do the same thing for the right side, but with the blue entities, and click on "Compress into Background" If you want to try out your map, feel free to go down to the map hosting section.

Sorry for the huge block of text, hopefully its useful. I'll try provide the images if you don't understand a part.

(edit: would anyone be interested in me finishing this? It was supposed to be a megatutorial (covering different game modes, mapping theory, map hosting, naming semantics, reference statistics, etc))
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:11:58 pm by Taters »

Agh

• My maps
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2010, 06:34:19 pm »

Add some pictures and I'll put it in the first post :)

awcmon123

• "Stupid Friggin' Flamin' Queer-Homo"
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2010, 07:54:02 pm »

what are the instructions specifically for making a wall mask and BG on graphics gale? I also want the page size to input in it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 35 queries.