May 18, 2024, 04:26:44 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 77

Author Topic: Official PyGG2 Development thread  (Read 142835 times)

Orpheon

• Developer
Re: Official PyGG2 Development thread
« Reply #900 on: July 27, 2012, 09:26:55 am »

And everyone else calls it prediction because his term is ambiguous, questionable, and estranged.
Also, if you want to go by definition, what I'm doing is estimating the value (=state) of a function I don't know all parameters of (the other players input), so I approximate it with a (simpler) function outside the sampled values on the base of those sampled values.

That is pretty much the definition of extrapolation.

nightcracker

• NC
  • PyGG2 dev
    • NC Labs
« Reply #901 on: July 27, 2012, 10:35:26 am »

And everyone else calls it prediction because his term is ambiguous, questionable, and estranged.

No it's not. What you do is based on the previous data guess (or better, extrapolate) the next position. Extrapolation is exactly what we're doing.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #902 on: July 27, 2012, 11:17:49 am »

No it's not. What you do is based on the previous data guess (or better, extrapolate) the next position. Extrapolation is exactly what we're doing.
Also NC, do the polygon collision dangit.

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #903 on: July 27, 2012, 02:05:50 pm »

i have a question, why do you need an image library while you have pygame?
I don't see how pygame is relevent to the imaging library

the imaging library is for the building of the mask extension, and otherwise it might as well be part of the standard library since its so universal. but it isn't.

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #904 on: July 27, 2012, 02:07:53 pm »

also NC, I found the proper article

http://trac.bookofhook.com/bookofhook/trac.cgi/wiki/Quake3Networking

seems it's been moved, but he updated a few things

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #905 on: July 27, 2012, 08:20:12 pm »

Orpheon, if you're fast-forwarding other people, you're doing something seriously, seriously wrong.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • the s*x number
« Reply #906 on: July 27, 2012, 08:25:39 pm »

lemme explain the dynamics; the op of this thread and moderator is having a discussion with someone and you interrupt because you seen to believe a forum thread directly affects development. We have enough regular moderators, we dont need any in the back seat.
but its tiscooler
I've been listening to a bit of Green Day recently (past 2 months actually). Really raises the level of "fuckethesystem" in me.  :z5:
"god is dead."♫♫♫

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #907 on: July 28, 2012, 07:10:10 am »

Orpheon, if you're fast-forwarding other people, you're doing something seriously, seriously wrong.
Not doing so but fast-forwarding yourself creates an inconsistent state, which is probably the worst thing that can possibly happen.
Not fast-forwarding yourself basically means no extrapolation, which is also sort of dumb.

One doesn't see the jumps if all goes well because the buffering takes over, but you can't avoid warping at some point.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:10:37 am by Orpheon »

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #908 on: July 28, 2012, 07:46:30 pm »

You're not supposed to fast forward /anything/. That's unavoidably buggy and flawed. If you have something moving in a  curve it'll extrapolate a bunch of tangents, if someone jumps or fires at you at point blank you can't predict that, then once you get the shot or jump they're suddenly in the future, etc. You're supposed to /rewind the client state/ to compare it to the newest state from the /server/.

ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

trog

• member of intel's squad of garbagemen against the yakuza
  • Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #909 on: July 28, 2012, 07:49:40 pm »

i dont know networking but please dont do the tf2 delay on firing projectiles thing

PM me your apps for my clan

92% of people who see this will not
have the guts to repost it. When Goku
died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #910 on: July 28, 2012, 07:50:03 pm »

cl_interp 0.033

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #911 on: July 28, 2012, 07:51:23 pm »

I figured out how to lag compensate projectiles anyway so if they do interpolation it's possible to make it not ruin rockets etc

trog

• member of intel's squad of garbagemen against the yakuza
  • Veteran Member
  • i am uberdeath
« Reply #912 on: July 28, 2012, 07:53:27 pm »

yes but then you have to add the option to change all the net settings

edit: ok cool
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:54:11 pm by trog »

PM me your apps for my clan

92% of people who see this will not
have the guts to repost it. When Goku
died in the explosion Cell tied to destroy Earth with, he did it for you and me. If you're not ashamed to love Goku, post this as your status and show everyone. Thank you, Goku. I lifted up my arms for the spirit bomb every time you asked for my energy.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #913 on: July 29, 2012, 05:48:02 am »

You're not supposed to fast forward /anything/. That's unavoidably buggy and flawed. If you have something moving in a  curve it'll extrapolate a bunch of tangents, if someone jumps or fires at you at point blank you can't predict that, then once you get the shot or jump they're suddenly in the future, etc. You're supposed to /rewind the client state/ to compare it to the newest state from the /server/.
The client state is (in normal cases) at the same time as the packet state, and far behind the server state.
Extrapolating a curve makes a curve, not tangents, I don't know where you get that from. Other people's inputs are not predictable, true, that's the problem.

I figured out how to lag compensate projectiles anyway so if they do interpolation it's possible to make it not ruin rockets etc
How?

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #914 on: July 29, 2012, 03:13:25 pm »

Every single time you step a projectile, rewind player position by how much the attacker was lagging when they fired the projectile. Alternatively, just by how much they're lagging at the very moment, but that's harder and fininicky because of the second thing. In order to make collision realistic for the person being hit, extrapolate the projectile position on the client side by how much the attacker was lagging. Just store the projectile's "lag" while you sync it.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 77

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 33 queries.