May 06, 2024, 10:14:06 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tracking progress of a Game Maker Studio 1.4.9999  (Read 14119 times)

PrOF

• Sometimes a dev. Only sometimes
Tracking progress of a Game Maker Studio 1.4.9999
« on: October 19, 2019, 07:46:49 am »

https://github.com/PrOF-kk/Gang-Garrison-2-Studio

Don't expect this to go anywhere soon
While porting to 8.1 was a great effort, I don't think it'll bring any noticeable improvements for how complex the fixes are. Porting GG2 to a far more modern and, let's face it, saner engine will make it easier to update it in the future, even if that means sacrificing my beloved plugins.
The biggest issue I'm having is just how much we use execute_string and execute_file, there are extensions to replace that functionality but I'm not sure they'll work as we'd like them to
Oh also Faucmix will be essential for this to work, as GM:S disabled panning sound the legacy way
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:52:04 am by PrOF »

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
Re: Tracking progress of a Game Maker Studio 1.4.9999
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 10:22:51 am »

Good luck. I don't have a 32bit-capable C++ toolchain anymore.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

PrOF

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 08:15:35 am »

Surprisingly after only 34 commits I can boot to the Main Menu, although it's completely unreponsive since the entire menu api is based on execute_string
The splash screen works fine, although I probably have to remove antialiasing somewhere
I've had to disable the DevMessageChecker, I made some changes that I thought wouldn't matter that much but apparently broke everything
I'm liking the stricter syntax for now, I'll probably backport some small fixes to the GM8 version soontm

Heapons

• Just a guy wandering on the internet.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 11:37:28 am »

Surprisingly after only 34 commits I can boot to the Main Menu, although it's completely unreponsive since the entire menu api is based on execute_string
The splash screen works fine, although I probably have to remove antialiasing somewhere
I've had to disable the DevMessageChecker, I made some changes that I thought wouldn't matter that much but apparently broke everything
I'm liking the stricter syntax for now, I'll probably backport some small fixes to the GM8 version soontm

Good luck, buddy  :c1:

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 06:04:41 pm »

You can disable interpolation via texture_set_interpolation(bool).
I would recommend turning AA up to 2 via display_reset( aa:0,2,4,8 , bool:vsync ) since it smooths things out just enough without being too overbearing. Scales better.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 06:14:49 pm by Saniblues »
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

PrOF

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 04:19:29 am »

This looks, uh, promising?
I was worried I wouldn't be able to move forward because of map loading issues, but since it's done by GG2DLL we should be fine, unless it uses execute_string in which case I'd have to bin the whole project. I'm still struggling with "Error: this file does not contain level data.", probably due to GMS no longer exporting stuff to temp_directory and instead to /datafiles/ or something
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 04:20:24 am by PrOF »

PrOF

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 03:27:43 pm »

Since dynamic code has been removed in GMS I had to remove the global.__HttpClient = object_add() in __http_init, instead I added a normal __HttpClient object in the IDE and changed every reference to it (see commit)
I thought this was fine since it shouldn't change anything, yet I'm having this error

which is weird because in the debug window I clearly see linebuf = "" for __HttpClient, whose instance id should have been passed to the script, but the id is wrong
Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? In GM8 we disabled "treat uninitialised variables as 0", so it's not that

BlackDoomer

• *batteries not included
    • Doom2D.org
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 04:49:23 pm »

Good effort. But I have to make some remarks.

• Removing plugins from the game is not an option IMHO.
    I can't remember a server without chat / chat2 for years. That's one of the main reasons why I chose to use 8.1.141 instead of Studio.
    What I would propose is to continue using classic GameMaker for building the Windows version with plugin support, and Studio for macOS and Ubuntu versions without them.
    To unify codebase between versions I would consider the next approach:
    • Use the GM4HTML5 1.0.218 as a classic GM. AFAIK it's pretty the same as 8.1.141, but its internal version of Windows runner is 8.1.218 and it supports the same VCS-friendly source format as Studio does.
    • Move all the GML code specific to classic GM into a GEX extension, so Windows builds could be compiled with it optionally, preventing compilation errors in Studio.

• This commit is not so beautiful too.
    It should be pretty easy to determine if argument is required or optional from the code of script itself.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Oh my God, who touch Sasha?! (c) Heavy
www.doom2d.org - Doom 2D, one of the best 2D-games in the world

LOL U MAD

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 09:30:43 pm »

Good effort. But I have to make some remarks.

Removing plugins from the game is not an option IMHO.
Yes it is. You can just implement chat into the game, the code for the chat mods is literally open-source, and that's basically the only plugin that's truly used on most servers.
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

PrOF

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 03:28:33 am »

• Removing plugins from the game is not an option IMHO.
I would have agreed with you until about a month ago. To be honest plugins are the only reason I stuck around for so long, I had a blast coding my plugins and fixing others, but apparently very few actually cared, and I can always make a community version of the game with integrated client-side plugins toggleable in the options. Lorgan's chat is also obviously a must, so if I ever get the game to work properly that'll be my next step. I'd also include his DamageIndicator and a few others
  • Use the GM4HTML5 1.0.218 as a classic GM. AFAIK it's pretty the same as 8.1.141, but its internal version of Windows runner is 8.1.218 and it supports the same VCS-friendly source format as Studio does.
I'm not sure that's an option, the Faucet extensions uses dlls so while they could be compiled to work in Linux I'm not sure about HTML5
Nice find, I'll be sure to replace the one we have, but right now I'm more concerned about actually getting the game to run
  • This commit is not so beautiful too.
    It should be pretty easy to determine if argument is required or optional from the code of script itself.
That commit was and still is required, in GMS optional arguments have to both be written as an array (argument[0] instead of argument0) and checked if they actually exist, which I did in various later commits. Also in the script header optional arguments are between square brackets

Unrelated: yeah the Menu API will have to be mostly rewritten, I'll try to reuse some code from Vindicator's alternative menu mod

BlackDoomer

• Doom2D.org
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 04:24:12 am »

I'm not sure that's an option, the Faucet extensions uses dlls so while they could be compiled to work in Linux I'm not sure about HTML5
I didn't mean HTML5 - GM4HTML5 supports creating the Windows executables too, just like any other classic GM version.

LOL U MAD

PrOF

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 04:37:34 am »

I tried GM4HTML5, but I couldn't get it to run the game

BlackDoomer

• Doom2D.org
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 07:26:10 am »

I tried GM4HTML5, but I couldn't get it to run the game

This is a well-known bug of GM 8.1 (whose direct descendant is GM4HTML5).
You need to backup the rundata file in the directory of GM just after installation, before first launch.
After that you should restore the file every time when GM IDE corrupts it.
I wrote a small .cmd for such cases and simply put it to the directory, with link to it being added into the Start menu.

LOL U MAD

notarctic

• just arctic, what gives?
  • 👎👀 bad aim ba̷̶ ԁ aIm 👎 thats❌ some bad 👎👎aim
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 08:59:43 pm »

Oh also Faucmix will be essential for this to work, as GM:S disabled panning sound the legacy way
i just thought id stick my head in cus i wanted to make this old shit that never got implemented known
https://github.com/arctic5/Gang-Garrison-2/tree/audio
https://github.com/wareya/fausnd
[1:37:51 PM] Derpduck: arctic u need to quote ppl that make shit posts in case they edit them
[4:20:15 PM] Rubeus Hashgrid: i cant discover anything fuck you imageshack

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 11:11:14 pm »

faucmix fixes some basic design problems that fausnd had, you'll have to tie up the loose ends on your own though

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 33 queries.