May 05, 2024, 10:23:47 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: SOPA protests on Jan 18  (Read 21953 times)

Orpheon

• 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Developer
Re: SOPA protests on Jan 18
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2012, 06:38:08 am »

After reading them, I think this is going a bit too far. This bill isn't as bad as SOPA was, and stands sort of a chance of becoming something.
Piracy is a problem that needs a solution, after all.

Meower

• Elder God tier or Fagthulu, the great
  • Community Manager
  • Went fat once, never went back
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2012, 06:47:27 am »

What I am real angry about though is that instead of pinpointing logical solutions the governments are just taking broad shots at whatever may hold any sort of copyright infringing material.

I can understand if they want to shut down someone who is holding and uploading an Harry Potter movie, but flat out closing the curtains on whoever uploads but a small clip, or even uses said material as a form of parody or even uses just the characters and or situations as a medium to convey an information is wrong.
It's exactly why locking file sharing websites is a terrible idea, because even though there's a lot of pirated information that doesn't mean that it's the only thing that is present on said website. It would have been so much better if instead of trying to nuke everything to stop piracy they'd have tried to make lives for pirates nearly impossible, think of dozenload of parsers, impossibly complicated file extensions and sizes, heck what valve does with its own games is basically the perfect anti piracy act, they make you WANT to buy the actual thing and/or make it impossible for people to have it fake. That's a good way to do that, but instead it's fairly obvious that the only intent for the government is to control every damn thing that's being said on the internet. THERE ARE different ways and even effective ones to take on piracy, after all.

Meower

• Community Manager
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2012, 06:54:04 am »

Also, grim news: ACTA passed in Poland, so I request once again that everyone starts stacking up on whatever information (in order to avoid making more direct statements I'll just call any video, image, text or website holding copyrighted and free contents independently from its scope) so that we can be on the safe side if this starts to affect us all worldwide.

I am fairly sure things will start looking bright again in not even that long stretch of time, but I must request that any kind of obscure and rare content you people might have seen floating around the internet be obtained immediately in order to avoid the irreparable loss of information.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2012, 07:14:35 am »

Valve can afford to make impossible protocols and stuff because they can rightly claim to own all and everything using it. Valve has a monopoly over their products, and because of that they can do that without anyone noticing.

Trying to fight my way through that leaked document on p-bay. Wow, law speech is unintelligible.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:15:40 am by Orpheon »

Meower

• Community Manager
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2012, 07:16:42 am »

Law is a means for governments to block citizens in their path towards justice by stressing the importance of using whatever obscure word they can to convey the most simple rules.
This creates ambiguity and with ambiguity comes uncertainty and ignorance. Anarchy is a government that types in 13372P33CH. It works as well as you might think it does.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2012, 07:24:34 am »

Law is a means for governments to block citizens in their path towards justice by stressing the importance of using whatever obscure word they can to convey the most simple rules.
This creates ambiguity and with ambiguity comes uncertainty and ignorance. Anarchy is a government that types in 13372P33CH. It works as well as you might think it does.
Actually, law is a try to formally code all situations in a way to objectively trial people to keep the civilization alive. You need law, or stuff goes wrong. Rules in life aren't simple, and neither are moral rules, so there's no reason why law should be. Law is for the community, not for the individual. Or at least, that's the theory.
On top of that, this document is a draft, and still has all those edits, proposals, commentaries and stuff that weren't necessarily meant to be read by someone not versed in it.

It's like saying code is obscure on purpose when it should not so that programmers can write trojans and stuff and be sure that no-one other than they can recognize them.

So, it's normal that this is hard to read, you have to predict each possible mis-understanding and rule it out. But it doesn't make it easier to spot important stuff  =/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:25:21 am by Orpheon »

Meower

• Community Manager
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2012, 08:08:56 am »

Stuff isn't so easy round here, there's a bigger fear of law than an actual loyalty to it, mainly because it is unjust for the many and imposes plenty of necessities that weigh economically on every middle class person.

/THA/high5ghost)RA(

• Seasoned Member
  • The proud owner of the GG2 graveyard :)
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 12:47:29 pm »

so anything for ACTA?
One can not truly predict oneself's future, but only work towards the future he dreams to have.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2012, 12:55:07 pm »

Another informative vid about the whole issue, even though SOPA and PIPA are defeated for the moment:
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/sopa-pipa

ACTA is definitely a concern as well. Some people are saying that agreement is not as bad as SOPA and PIPA would have been, but that's not an argument that can be allowed to count. Otherwise, lobbyist groups could just push out draconian ideas to bind the public attention while getting the slightly less horrible legislation passed that they actually want.
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Meower

• Community Manager
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2012, 12:59:27 pm »

As far as I know, ACTA is different from the other two in the way that while it isn't a legal act that enforces any actual law, it's an agreement to kick start a whole lot more of them with even more disastrous repercussions when it is actually accepted worldwide.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2012, 01:24:41 pm »

Yes, ACTA as such does not have any legal consequences afaik. But it will create pressure for lawmakers all over the world to create legislation which satisfies this agreement.
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Meower

• Community Manager

Meower

• Community Manager
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2012, 09:46:38 am »

In case people are wondering about it, Megaupload can't do much, however the company hosting their files will keep them alive for a few more weeks.
This means that if you have anything backed up on that place, you'll be able to get it as soon as they reopen up shop for a short while.

Meower

• Community Manager
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 08:47:14 am »

I'm not an actual internet activist here, but it won't hurt to spread the word.

If you had a megaupload account, two weeks from now they're gonna delete your stuff permanently, so it's the best time to retrieve whatever you've put in there. Also, opposition to ACTA is getting weaker, so I suggest you guys keep yourself informed or we risk making it look just like any other news - broadcasted extensively for a couple of weeks, then no one cares about it anymore.

Meower

• Community Manager
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2012, 04:47:39 pm »

Anonymous: Operation Black 'March'

Just what I thought they'd try to do

I'd like if you guys could partake in this, I'm already in because I don't ever buy shit anyhow
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 32 queries.