May 19, 2024, 05:26:52 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 77

Author Topic: Official PyGG2 Development thread  (Read 142995 times)

Orpheon

• Developer
Re: Official PyGG2 Development thread
« Reply #1065 on: October 31, 2012, 11:50:51 am »

People will need GB (read: a special program) to compile the map anyways. Therefore, we can use whatever format we want. The most logical and easiest one is a zip file containing an image for the BG and one per parallax layer and a lot of JSON/whatever text files for entity data. People can add and place entities etc easily with the GB gui and also import old maps. New entities and even plugins could easily be added map-wise by an extra entity linking to new sprites, possibly even code (we need to look into the security of that).

Yes, we are changing map format, the current one is basically "put everything in one huge bytestring and just add it in the comments section of _a_ png image", which is not easy, not flexible, annoying to use and also impossible to manually edit.

Basta.

Yeah. Anyway I tried setting up the whole thing but I got stuck at the SFML part, that part is a real PITA. I don't get why we are basing this game "off an unstable wrapper of an unstable library". We could have just done the whole thing in SDL... Also what was wrong with Pygraphix? By the way if there's any need for help with doing raster graphics I'm sure I can help, I usually do entire GUIs with my own code onto a framebuffer, even for variable-width fonts (here's an example http://photosounder.com/splineeq/images/screenshot.png)
Why we didn't do things through SDL/pygame: It was way too slow.
What was wrong with pygrafix: The only developer (nightcracker) left it hanging in limbo with a lot of bugs, and is currently banned from computer access for indefinite amount of time.

I chose pySFML because it has an active developer, it's a straight port of a stable and active library, and it works.
What kind of problems are you getting?

A_SN

« Reply #1066 on: October 31, 2012, 12:01:34 pm »

Well I don't even know what to do. I've got "pySFML-0.2.1", first of all I had to add "SET VS90COMNTOOLS=%VS100COMNTOOLS%" before running "python setup.py install" (both commands which I had to figure out on my own) and now it says I need SFML. Now I'm confused, where do I get it/which version do I get (on this page http://sfml-dev.org/download.php)? I would have tried some but I'm on an extra slow 3G connection so if I try getting any of those it's gonna take an hour if it even completes, so I'd like to know what I'm doing first.

Also just had a quick look at the code, why are angles always converted back and forth between radians and degrees, wouldn't it be simpler to have it all in radians? That's what I do usually, leave it all in radians and define my angles as 2.*pi*x.

Oh also SDL is not slow at all for me but then again all I use it for is writing straight to the window's framebuffer.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:21:00 pm by A_SN »

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #1067 on: October 31, 2012, 01:10:50 pm »

Well I don't even know what to do. I've got "pySFML-0.2.1", first of all I had to add "SET VS90COMNTOOLS=%VS100COMNTOOLS%" before running "python setup.py install" (both commands which I had to figure out on my own) and now it says I need SFML. Now I'm confused, where do I get it/which version do I get (on this page http://sfml-dev.org/download.php)? I would have tried some but I'm on an extra slow 3G connection so if I try getting any of those it's gonna take an hour if it even completes, so I'd like to know what I'm doing first.

Also just had a quick look at the code, why are angles always converted back and forth between radians and degrees, wouldn't it be simpler to have it all in radians? That's what I do usually, leave it all in radians and define my angles as 2.*pi*x.

Oh also SDL is not slow at all for me but then again all I use it for is writing straight to the window's framebuffer.
Oh, isn't there a link to the docs somewhere?
http://pysfml2-cython.readthedocs.org/en/latest/building.html#

A_SN

« Reply #1068 on: October 31, 2012, 01:23:26 pm »

I should have tried the installer. For some reason the other download doesn't actually include SFML even though it says it does (unless I missed something). Now it's working.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #1069 on: October 31, 2012, 01:33:18 pm »

I should have tried the installer. For some reason the other download doesn't actually include SFML even though it says it does (unless I missed something). Now it's working.
Ok, sorry then for not being clear enough on the OP.

ajf

« Reply #1070 on: October 31, 2012, 01:52:53 pm »

We should make the GitHub page readme the proper home for doc links etc. atm.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #1071 on: October 31, 2012, 02:35:06 pm »

We should make the GitHub page readme the proper home for doc links etc. atm.
I think it is.

ajf

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #1073 on: November 01, 2012, 01:40:07 pm »

I've recently been hit by a hurricane, but I'd like to give input on the map format

I've already built a map specification off of the JSON based entity format that CSPOTCODE offered. The source code can be seen in my repository under "Too late garrison builder" but I almost have a map builder running too.

Unfortunately though I won't have power until monday, and even then free time might be spotty, but note that this project is more mature than it seems

ajf

« Reply #1074 on: November 01, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »

Btw, is the parallax effect also vertical? Because if it's not, it should be, that would be ace.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #1075 on: November 02, 2012, 03:12:40 am »

It is vertical.

What it mostly should be is extensible to various depths etc, not hardcoded.

notarctic

• just arctic, what gives?
  • 👎👀 bad aim ba̷̶ ԁ aIm 👎 thats❌ some bad 👎👎aim
« Reply #1076 on: November 10, 2012, 01:28:04 am »

Someone needs to add a checklist of what is done and what needs to be done somewhere
[1:37:51 PM] Derpduck: arctic u need to quote ppl that make shit posts in case they edit them
[4:20:15 PM] Rubeus Hashgrid: i cant discover anything fuck you imageshack

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #1077 on: November 10, 2012, 08:19:35 am »

Someone needs to add a checklist of what is done and what needs to be done somewhere
That checklist is me. I can give you a lot of things to do if you ask.

MedO

• Owns this place
« Reply #1078 on: November 10, 2012, 12:55:16 pm »

Write it down. Preferably into a system where you can manage priorities, milestones and assignments, but just a Google Doc would be much better than having only one person with "the plan".
Quote from: Alfred North Whitehead
It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Quote from: John Carmack
[...] if you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #1079 on: November 10, 2012, 02:25:39 pm »

Write it down. Preferably into a system where you can manage priorities, milestones and assignments, but just a Google Doc would be much better than having only one person with "the plan".
The problem is that it boils down to the same thing as only one person will ever look at it and only one will ever update it. But whatever.

Open are map modes, spawnrooms, making weapons look good from both sides, good map loading with rotation, better rocket physics and a lot of other things, but that's already quite a lot.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 77

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 33 queries.