May 19, 2024, 09:39:30 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 77

Author Topic: Official PyGG2 Development thread  (Read 143004 times)

cspotcode

• Coder
  • Administrator
Re: Porting GG2 to Python - PyGG2
« Reply #405 on: January 09, 2012, 10:48:08 pm »

This looks really cool; I was just reading through some of the code.  If you have some coding tasks that need tackling, I may be able to help.

I definitely can't promise anything, but it would be fun to be programming (just a little bit) for GG2 again!

Is there a todo list anywhere?
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
- Douglas Adams

Rodoval

• Seasoned Member
  • It's been 8 years already, am I oldfag yet
« Reply #406 on: January 10, 2012, 12:23:09 am »

cspotcode posted again

shit just got serious

read this post about minors without looking at the last page first, and I thought you were encouraging rodo to hunt for young women.

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
  • Administrator
« Reply #407 on: January 10, 2012, 12:25:42 am »

I'd suggest checking up on the irc for nightcracker and orpheon if you want an immediate answer.
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #408 on: January 10, 2012, 06:54:14 am »

This looks really cool; I was just reading through some of the code.  If you have some coding tasks that need tackling, I may be able to help.

I definitely can't promise anything, but it would be fun to be programming (just a little bit) for GG2 again!

Well, not really an official one.

Seeing as nightcracker and I are the only people actually working on this now, and we meet on a daily basis on the IRC, we normally decide small stuff then and there, and then code it.

The only things where we have written brainstorming is our network protocol, which again, is not really meant to be read without explanation. We've also decided on a lot of stuff that isn't mentioned in that document.

So yeah, best would probably be if you dropped by in IRC someday.

cspotcode

• Coder
  • Administrator
« Reply #409 on: January 10, 2012, 08:08:39 am »

cspotcode posted again

shit just got serious

Don't go taking me seriously, I'll just have to disappear again  :z5:

Seeing as nightcracker and I are the only people actually working on this now, and we meet on a daily basis on the IRC, we normally decide small stuff then and there, and then code it.

The only things where we have written brainstorming is our network protocol, which again, is not really meant to be read without explanation. We've also decided on a lot of stuff that isn't mentioned in that document.

Ah, ok, I can't do daily IRC meetings with my schedule so I probably won't be able to help.  Oh well, looks cool!
- Douglas Adams

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #410 on: January 10, 2012, 08:22:01 am »

cspotcode posted again

shit just got serious

Don't go taking me seriously, I'll just have to disappear again  :z5:

This looks really cool; I was just reading through some of the code.  If you have some coding tasks that need tackling, I may be able to help.

Ah, ok, I can't do daily IRC meetings with my schedule so I probably won't be able to help.  Oh well, looks cool!
What woah woah. You completely misunderstood me.
Nightcracker and I do it. That doesn't mean you have to to help us. I mentioned it because that was my excuse to not having any real written documents apart from the code.
But anyway, if you want to help, there are a lot of stuff open.

For example, I heard you know your stuff well with the maps, programming the whole map format and maybe a new editor would be a very helpful and necessary thing that doesn't need loads of communications with us.
Would that be an idea?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:22:40 am by Orpheon »

cspotcode

• Coder
  • Administrator
« Reply #411 on: January 10, 2012, 11:31:48 am »

Nightcracker and I do it. That doesn't mean you have to to help us. I mentioned it because that was my excuse to not having any real written documents apart from the code.

For example, I heard you know your stuff well with the maps, programming the whole map format and maybe a new editor would be a very helpful and necessary thing that doesn't need loads of communications with us.
Would that be an idea?

Yeah, I actually already designed a new map format for my Garrison Builder rewrite.  I can dredge up those old notes and the Garrison Builder code and see what needs to be done.
- Douglas Adams

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #412 on: January 10, 2012, 12:46:27 pm »

Would that be an idea?

Yeah, I actually already designed a new map format for my Garrison Builder rewrite.  I can dredge up those old notes and the Garrison Builder code and see what needs to be done.
Great. Good luck at getting stuff working!

notajf

« Reply #413 on: January 10, 2012, 12:49:04 pm »

Would that be an idea?

Yeah, I actually already designed a new map format for my Garrison Builder rewrite.  I can dredge up those old notes and the Garrison Builder code and see what needs to be done.
Well, you're competing against me, I'm rewriting GB and integrating it into GG2...

well, there's also a good chance I'll stop randomly and not return to it.

cspotcode

• Coder
  • Administrator
« Reply #414 on: January 10, 2012, 02:23:48 pm »

Well, you're competing against me, I'm rewriting GB and integrating it into GG2...

I'm interested... are you using GM or Python?  Can I check out the code somewhere?  What kinda map format are you using?

No sense duplicating effort; if we can work together, that'd be cool.  Doubling the ol' bus factor, as they say.
- Douglas Adams

notajf

« Reply #415 on: January 10, 2012, 02:29:11 pm »

I'm interested... are you using GM or Python?  Can I check out the code somewhere?  What kinda map format are you using?

No sense duplicating effort; if we can work together, that'd be cool.  Doubling the ol' bus factor, as they say.
GM in this case. https://github.com/TazeTSchnitzel/Gang-Garrison-2/tree/mapedit

Map format is the existing one (although I despise it).
The main change is the integration and interface, a foolish attempt at avoiding code duplication.

I might drop this and help with yours though. I haven't tried it.

nightcracker

• NC
  • PyGG2 dev
    • NC Labs
« Reply #416 on: January 10, 2012, 02:48:28 pm »

Well, we'd really like a Python map build for Pygg2. We want to move completely away from GM.

notajf

« Reply #417 on: January 10, 2012, 02:49:28 pm »

Well, we'd really like a Python map build for Pygg2. We want to move completely away from GM.
Meh. cspotcode's is Java, the language really shouldn't matter.

cspotcode

• Coder
  • Administrator
« Reply #418 on: January 10, 2012, 03:10:52 pm »

Meh. cspotcode's is Java, the language really shouldn't matter.

I was using Java because it's easily cross-platform, has killer GUI libraries, and I thought the most realistic GG2 rewrite would happen in Java.  I was using the Netbeans Platform, which is mega-powerful for implementing complex editors, but also has a big learning curve.

I'm not opposed to Python but I'd have to research cross-platform GUI libraries.  They probably won't be as 'mega-powerful' as the Netbeans Platform, but having the speed of a scripting language is a plus.

@Terry: I also hate the old map format, I'll post some of my new ideas.
- Douglas Adams

notajf

« Reply #419 on: January 10, 2012, 03:21:46 pm »

Off-topic, but one idea I thought of was that the GIF format would be good for GG2 maps. It's a simple format, 256-color, and its multiple frames support could be used for bg/wallmask/foreground image/item placement.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 77

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 32 queries.