May 08, 2024, 12:53:20 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77

Author Topic: Official PyGG2 Development thread  (Read 142262 times)

Conan

• 2013 Haxxy Award Winner
  • (λ*2) = 42
Re: Official PyGG2 Development thread
« Reply #1125 on: July 10, 2014, 01:57:16 pm »

I've also been working through codecademy; however haven't had motivation to push through all six lessons. If you guys need it I can probably contribute stuff because next year I'm taking a class in computer science at my high school.

but as inconceivable said, we'd need an experienced coder to supervise/mentor us newbies so we don't screw up the work so far. Optimally, that would mean that the mentor wouldn't have to actually do a lot of work, instead distributing the coding jobs to those who have time.

Inconceivable!

• Please?
« Reply #1126 on: July 10, 2014, 10:57:39 pm »

I've also been working through codecademy; however haven't had motivation to push through all six lessons. If you guys need it I can probably contribute stuff because next year I'm taking a class in computer science at my high school.

but as inconceivable said, we'd need an experienced coder to supervise/mentor us newbies so we don't screw up the work so far. Optimally, that would mean that the mentor wouldn't have to actually do a lot of work, instead distributing the coding jobs to those who have time.

Exactly.
Hate your life, but don't hate living. that way you have the motivation to get a better one someday.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #1127 on: July 11, 2014, 02:49:06 pm »

This project was more or less closed as everyone associated with it dropped it.
However, I don't want to discourage any of you from working on it if you can find the motivation.

Do you know how git/github works? If so, you can send pull requests to the official repo, if not just work locally (although I really /really/ recommend using git)
The Readme on github has a basic list of the dependencies but no instructions on installing them. pySFML and PIL have their own installation instructions, but the bitmask library is custom-built and has to be compiled yourself. The compilation is scripted in install.py, but you'll need MinGW if on windows (which you should have anyway). Tell me if you have any problems.

Jumping into an unfamiliar codebase is hard, I know. PyGG2 is structured so that the core game engine, the rendering and the client/server-specific parts are as separate as possible, and there are a lot of abstractions. I don't know your preferences, can't really recommend a specific part. Things to do are myriad, even very simple things like fixing the weapon sprite offsets as well as more difficult things like HUDs or adding classes/weapons.

If you have any questions, asking here will get them answered eventually, alternatively asking on the IRC (if I or someone else happens to be active) can get you answers faster.

Start by getting the game to run. That's (sadly) already somewhat of a hurdle, especially on windows.

NumLock

« Reply #1128 on: July 11, 2014, 07:49:39 pm »

Will try to do when i catch free time

Inconceivable!

• Please?
« Reply #1129 on: July 12, 2014, 12:14:54 am »

Do you know how git/github works?
In general, yes, but I have not used it heavily. I'm sure I will figure it out as I go.
The Readme on github has a basic list of the dependencies but no instructions on installing them. pySFML and PIL have their own installation instructions, but the bitmask library is custom-built and has to be compiled yourself. The compilation is scripted in install.py, but you'll need MinGW if on windows (which you should have anyway). Tell me if you have any problems.

It's late right now so I'll have to google many of these terms later but I eagerly await the knowledge.
Jumping into an unfamiliar codebase is hard, I know. PyGG2 is structured so that the core game engine, the rendering and the client/server-specific parts are as separate as possible, and there are a lot of abstractions. I don't know your preferences, can't really recommend a specific part. Things to do are myriad, even very simple things like fixing the weapon sprite offsets as well as more difficult things like HUDs or adding classes/weapons.
If you have any questions, asking here will get them answered eventually, alternatively asking on the IRC (if I or someone else happens to be active) can get you answers faster.
I will definitely use that help.
Start by getting the game to run. That's (sadly) already somewhat of a hurdle, especially on windows.
Okay, I will try my best. I am currently on a trip and only have my iPad with me but when I get back on Monday and have access to my laptop, I will get started on it with the many things I am going to be starting. I look forward to the climb.
Hate your life, but don't hate living. that way you have the motivation to get a better one someday.

Inconceivable!

• Please?
« Reply #1130 on: July 15, 2014, 07:09:55 pm »

What is a good ide for python?

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #1131 on: July 15, 2014, 09:06:38 pm »

many people program in python without an ide. I understand that many people like Notepad++ on windows, but you can use whatever you want. I personally use a version of komodo edit, but its rather bloated

Inconceivable!

• Please?
« Reply #1132 on: July 15, 2014, 11:11:41 pm »

Okay, I'll try Notepad++

On stack overflow, I saw Vim suggested as an ide. Do you know anything about it?

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #1133 on: July 15, 2014, 11:51:46 pm »

vim is generally text-based

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Inconceivable!

• Please?
« Reply #1134 on: July 16, 2014, 12:17:07 am »

I understand what you said but didn't quite get what you meant. Aren't all ide's text based?

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #1135 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:38 am »

ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

\esc144aAroundTheWorld\esca

• stinkier foot
« Reply #1136 on: July 16, 2014, 05:19:21 am »

Don't use Vim if you've just started. In general, it's only useful for the few that are used to it.

Usually I just use N++ or gedit and the command prompt or bash in Windows or Linux respectively, I do this for most work I do which includes C/C++ but if I were to do some Python I'd probably just do the same.

NumLock

« Reply #1137 on: July 16, 2014, 06:56:22 am »

i use pycharm or n++ with powershell

Inconceivable!

• Please?
« Reply #1138 on: July 16, 2014, 09:59:49 pm »

I'm sorry, I'm new to the whole computing world from the development side. I fail to understand what you mean by this code. Please explain.
Don't use Vim if you've just started. In general, it's only useful for the few that are used to it.

Usually I just use N++ or gedit and the command prompt or bash in Windows or Linux respectively, I do this for most work I do which includes C/C++ but if I were to do some Python I'd probably just do the same.
I got N++ and it seems to work well. Thank you.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #1139 on: July 16, 2014, 10:56:26 pm »

I'm sorry, I'm new to the whole computing world from the development side. I fail to understand what you mean by this code. Please explain.
I'm not trying to communicate via code. That's just a vim screenshot. Obviously, it's not friendly to people who don't know it very well.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 32 queries.