May 08, 2024, 08:38:38 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77

Author Topic: Official PyGG2 Development thread  (Read 142339 times)

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
Re: Official PyGG2 Development thread
« Reply #1110 on: September 21, 2013, 07:38:12 pm »

Order of packets is *imperative* to input. You cannot skip any and they must be processed in order.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:38:31 pm by Phantom Brave »

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #1111 on: September 22, 2013, 03:17:42 am »

Order of packets is *imperative* to input. You cannot skip any and they must be processed in order.
No. Half the input is in the gamestate and is independent of order, and the rest are events, who are order and time-dependent, but packets don't care about that.

Networking in PyGG2 is finished and works, if people really want to continue to discuss it, please make sure to understand the current system beforehand.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #1112 on: September 22, 2013, 06:03:52 am »

Half the input is in the gamestate and is independent of order
wat

ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #1113 on: September 23, 2013, 04:57:16 am »

Half the input is in the gamestate and is independent of order
wat
Movement input is instantaneous, skipping a frame is not noticeable, so no need to make it reliable.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Another one --
« Reply #1114 on: September 23, 2013, 09:55:29 am »

1) how is that possible
2) how does movement prediction work
3) do you even run inputs on the server like a normal modern game engine
4) also if the answer to 3 is "yes" then you do need to make sure that input messages are received in the correct order with none missed
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:32:12 am by Phantom Brave »

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #1115 on: September 23, 2013, 11:42:28 am »

1) how is that possible
2) how does movement prediction work
3) do you even run inputs on the server like a normal modern game engine
4) also if the answer to 3 is "yes" then you do need to make sure that input messages are received in the correct order with none missed
With input we mean the same thing, right? I am only talking of left/right acceleration, and possibly about jumping which is a special case.
Right now I'm on my phone though, so writing long posts is annoying.
I'll write the details Sunday.

Nova

• Seasoned Member
  • Personal Text
« Reply #1116 on: September 29, 2013, 03:33:35 pm »

This may be a dumb question, but how "done" is this as of now. It seems like there is some cool stuff in there and a lot less dumb-shit stuff, so having something like a percentage to know would be nice.

notarctic

• just arctic, what gives?
  • 👎👀 bad aim ba̷̶ ԁ aIm 👎 thats❌ some bad 👎👎aim
« Reply #1117 on: September 29, 2013, 03:38:44 pm »

almost not never not done
[1:37:51 PM] Derpduck: arctic u need to quote ppl that make shit posts in case they edit them
[4:20:15 PM] Rubeus Hashgrid: i cant discover anything fuck you imageshack

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #1118 on: September 29, 2013, 03:39:33 pm »

This may be a dumb question, but how "done" is this as of now. It seems like there is some cool stuff in there and a lot less dumb-shit stuff, so having something like a percentage to know would be nice.
The game itself I would estimate at around 50-60%, barring big surprises.

This is not counting the problem of packaging, because I seriously have no idea of the effort needed for that.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:40:26 pm by Orpheon »

Saniblues

• Onion Knight
  • Administrator
« Reply #1119 on: January 12, 2014, 09:41:32 pm »

So, a problem I noticed. Both with this and the gml copy of the game.

Both of them have problems with offline stuff. Snagging or sending data causes both to fall apart, particularly in pygg2 when my server ceases function entirely and the game freezes up. Perhaps there's some way to like, prevent this?

Its when it attempts to send server data to the lobby.
Quote from: mop
Quote from: MR MAGN3TIC
I don't like it.  :nah:
Oh, well, you might as well pack up and stop now, because he doesn't like it
I'm bored out of my skull, Lets play a different game!
Lets take a visit down below And cast the world in flames!

Inconceivable!

• Please?
« Reply #1120 on: July 10, 2014, 12:14:32 am »

Hello, I've played gg2 before and have just found this thread. I happen to be close to finishing the python course in codecademy.com, which I realize is not much experience, but I'd like to assist in the development of pygg2. I will probably have to learn a lot and do things I've never done before but I can't think of any way to learn programming better. I'm about to start working on my computer science degree, and think this would be an excellent project for me to help with considering the relative simplicity of the game(or perhaps it's not simple)

I'm likely way out of my depth, so tell me if I am but I thought I'd ask. I'm willing and eager to learn anything and everything.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:27:54 am by Inconceivable! »
Hate your life, but don't hate living. that way you have the motivation to get a better one someday.

NumLock

« Reply #1121 on: July 10, 2014, 08:20:58 am »

I happen to be close to finishing the python course in codecademy.com, which I realize is not much experience, but I'd like to assist in the development of pygg2. I will probably have to learn a lot and do things I've never done before but I can't think of any way to learn programming better.

I'm likely way out of my depth, so tell me if I am but I thought I'd ask. I'm willing and eager to learn anything and everything.

Same

Inconceivable!

• Please?
« Reply #1122 on: July 10, 2014, 10:41:00 am »

I happen to be close to finishing the python course in codecademy.com, which I realize is not much experience, but I'd like to assist in the development of pygg2. I will probably have to learn a lot and do things I've never done before but I can't think of any way to learn programming better.

Same

Now if we can get the help of somebody who knows what they're doing, maybe we can make some progress  :panic:
Hate your life, but don't hate living. that way you have the motivation to get a better one someday.

Derpduck

• 2011 Haxxy Finalist
« Reply #1123 on: July 10, 2014, 10:50:12 am »

Same

Now if we can get the help of somebody who knows what they're doing, maybe we can make some progress  :panic:
Well it might be very hard to get the original team to work on it; Wareya and AJF refuse to work on it, nightcracker has disappeared, I think NAGN said he would be willing to work on it but he isn't around much anymore, and Orpheon might work on it but I'm not so sure.

Inconceivable!

• Please?
« Reply #1124 on: July 10, 2014, 11:37:06 am »

Same

Well it might be very hard to get the original team to work on it; Wareya and AJF refuse to work on it, nightcracker has disappeared, I think NAGN said he would be willing to work on it but he isn't around much anymore, and Orpheon might work on it but I'm not so sure.

I totally understand, not everybody has to time to devote themselves to a cause for which they receive very little if any compensation. My compensation would be learning from the experience pretty much. As well as something of a resume for future employers.

All I need would be enough involvement from somebody experienced that I can do it myself or with others if they want to help. NumLock here seems like he's like to help as well.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 32 queries.