April 24, 2024, 06:06:52 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Gang Garrison 2.6: The Haxxy Awards 2013 update  (Read 15578 times)

Nova

• Seasoned Member
  • Personal Text
Re: Gang Garrison 2.6: The Haxxy Awards 2013 update
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 12:28:11 am »

Changed:
* Balance changes Yesssss
* Switched to wareya's new collision system (hopefully reduces bugs) good
* Switched to new internal updater system um ... good i think
Fixed:
* Various bug fixes Always good
* Prevent GG2 crashing on Windows 8 i don't use it, but should be helping
* Prevented spectator tracking of cloaked spies and enemies oh
Added:
* Name-change field in lobby well
* Custom crosshairs good
* Optional display of certain teammate statistics wat
* Map rotation shuffling (on by default) yay
* Automatically downloaded main menu backgrounds - submit your art, and lots of GG2 players will see it!
* Server-sent plugin caching - no re-downloading! FINALLY
* Optional automatic restart for server-sent plugins, skipping the prompt

You can find a more detailled list of changes on Github.

21Dan

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 02:44:41 am »

* Server-sent plugin caching - no re-downloading!
I've been waiting for this for awhile. =3

GG2RBY

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 02:49:34 am »

goodie

Machidro

• 2013 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Gardicolo time is over.
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 02:52:53 am »

Shit's borked for rocketman.

This is why betas are usually a thing, no?
A CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED.

Phantom Brave

• All Hail Classicwell
  • Designer
  • Another one --
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 03:02:17 am »

>implying betas are usually a thing

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wareya/
ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that the fact of the matter is up that the fact of the matter is a fact and it matters

Lord SecretMan

• Idiot.
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 03:17:41 am »

Just 3 more beta's and the full game will be released.

Machidro

• 2013 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Gardicolo time is over.
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 03:44:24 am »

>implying 2.5, the most recent full number update, didn't literally have over 20 posted beta builds
>implying 2.5, the most recent full number update, didn't have a >100 post megathread for release planning partially based on info from these betas
>implying 2.4, the second most recent full number update, didn't also have multiple betas and numerous threads which drew info from them.

Wareya, saying that we don't usually have regular beta builds available for testing for updates is a crock of shit.

Even if you disagree, next time, could you post one? Start a trend, worst case scenario you end up wasting 20 seconds on dropbox.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:47:42 am by Machidro »
A CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED.

ajf

• (Ex-?)Developer and forum/web admin
  • she's never quite as dead as you think
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 06:06:00 am »

>implying 2.5, the most recent full number update, didn't literally have over 20 posted beta builds
>implying 2.5, the most recent full number update, didn't have a >100 post megathread for release planning partially based on info from these betas
>implying 2.4, the second most recent full number update, didn't also have multiple betas and numerous threads which drew info from them.

Wareya, saying that we don't usually have regular beta builds available for testing for updates is a crock of shit.

Even if you disagree, next time, could you post one? Start a trend, worst case scenario you end up wasting 20 seconds on dropbox.

Hello Machidro.

Here at Faucet Software, we pride ourselves in releasing high-quality, bug-free software. As part of this mission, we try to test things sufficiently prior to release to identify any issues, including utilising the "Beta testing program", the "Release Candidate program" and testing of individual feature branches prior to and after merger.

The program you refer to, the "Beta testing program", was effective in the past. However, recently Betas have been found to be ineffective in testing GG2, due to poor Beta testing program participation. As you will no doubt be aware, the Beta testing program can only be effective where several people use the Beta to play a game. If that does not happen, the Beta testing program is effectively useless, since any bugs that could be found without playing a game are usually found with one of our other methods of testing. Furthermore, contrary to your claims of "wasting 20 seconds on dropbox", Beta creation is considerably more involved. As a consequence, no beta builds were created for this version of GG2. However, we have done testing of feature branches and issued an internal Release Candidate.

Despite all the testing we perform, things can and inevitably always will slip through. We apologise if any of these issues have affected your Gang Garrison 2 experience, and we will try to speedily rectify them.

-- Andrea Faulds
Senior Vice President of Customer Relations, Faucet Software
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:16:11 am by ajf »
did you know that spinning stars work like this???

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. execute_strings on fire off the shoulder of Overmars. I watched object-beams glitter in the dark near the room_goto_fix. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

Orpheon

• 2011 Haxxy Award Winner
  • Developer
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 06:54:44 am »

Hello Machidro.

Here at Faucet Software, we pride ourselves in releasing high-quality, bug-free software. As part of this mission, we try to test things sufficiently prior to release to identify any issues, including utilising the "Beta testing program", the "Release Candidate program" and testing of individual feature branches prior to and after merger.

The program you refer to, the "Beta testing program", was effective in the past. However, recently Betas have been found to be ineffective in testing GG2, due to poor Beta testing program participation. As you will no doubt be aware, the Beta testing program can only be effective where several people use the Beta to play a game. If that does not happen, the Beta testing program is effectively useless, since any bugs that could be found without playing a game are usually found with one of our other methods of testing. Furthermore, contrary to your claims of "wasting 20 seconds on dropbox", Beta creation is considerably more involved. As a consequence, no beta builds were created for this version of GG2. However, we have done testing of feature branches and issued an internal Release Candidate.

Despite all the testing we perform, things can and inevitably always will slip through. We apologise if any of these issues have affected your Gang Garrison 2 experience, and we will try to speedily rectify them.

-- Andrea Faulds
Senior Vice President of Customer Relations, Faucet Software
>ajf senior vice president of customer relations, god help us all

Apart from that though, he's right. Making betas is a lot of work, especially for separated betas. Just leaving them in the open does exactly nothing nowadays, seeing as no-one practically ever plays them, even with the mod lobby system. So on top of making the beta, you also have to organize beta matches, which takes a lot more than 20 seconds even in the best of cases. Usually they don't work well either, as people just do the same thing as every dev does during coding (running around, trying to round corners off platforms, shoot, try all emotes, etc...). People don't like coming to those tests either, because once (if) a crash is found, the dev says halt and works on it 10 minutes, plus 5 until it's compiled and uploaded, by the time of which half the people are gone or in the middle of a different game. If someone by chance happens to try alone and find a bug that hasn't gone noticed, then 80% of the time just posts it in IRC assuming that someone is paying attention enough to notice it, is currently working on it and will post a fix. Soon.
If you /don't/ organize beta matches, then either nothing is found until right before release, where suddenly a load of bugs prop up and you are blamed because "it was tested" and the thing just gets pushed away, or people find a bug every lunar cycle, dragging the whole thing several months (I don't think I have to give examples here).

Betas need bigger communities.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:57:26 am by Orpheon »

Nova

• Seasoned Member
  • Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 07:11:52 am »

for object __newobject813:

Error in code at line 5:
               if lastDamageDealer.object != -1 && instance_exists(lastDamageDealer.object){
                                  ^
at position 33: Unknown variable object

What caused that. Yeh I used 2.5 plugins hoping it won't screw up.

Haxton Sale

• The only true
  • Haxxy Organizer
  • HAXTON SAAAAAAAAAAALE!
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 07:16:32 am »

Code: [Select]
for object Rocket:

Error in code at line 6:
   travelDistance = point_distance(x, y, lastknownx, lastknowny);
                                         ^
at position 40: Unknown variable lastknownx
Yeah, rocket thingy, I assume. I only had the chat plugin.
THIS POST GOT SIGNED BY

A_SN

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 07:16:55 am »

This update is barely playable because of the awful framerate, probably from the new collisions system. How does it calculate collisions and how does it do space partition? Just wondering.

Also, given how this update fails hard on that account by pretty much ruining the game for anyone who doesn't have a souped up i7 or whatever (that's why one should only develop (or at least test) on a low-end computer, I have a Core 2 Q6600 downclocked to 1.6 GHz lol, that shit came out 6½ years ago), can we just roll back to the old system for now until this is fixed?

I can empathise with the beta issue by the way, it's like people don't want to hear about anything new to try until you've got a final version to put out there, then they bitch (like I just did) because it shipped with bugs.

Haxton Sale

• The only true
  • Haxxy Organizer
  • HAXTON SAAAAAAAAAAALE!
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 07:19:10 am »

Don't be like that, Q6600 isn't that bad... right?

But yeah, I suppose it drops the framerate for everyone, no matter what setup you have.
THIS POST GOT SIGNED BY

A_SN

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 07:26:13 am »

But yeah, I suppose it drops the framerate for everyone, no matter what setup you have.
lol yeah it's not that bad, though if you have a CPU whose single cores are let's say 4 times faster than that you wouldn't see the drop I guess? Maybe that's an issue you can't see if you have too few players (i.e. during testing) anyway, unless you test with bots? I don't know..

But yeah, kinda ruined the game for me, I had to quit playing, I vote that we have a 2.6.1 with the collisions rolled back (if that indeed is the problem, I don't suppose we can even profile a GameMaker game?).

ajf

• (Ex-?)Developer and forum/web admin
  • she's never quite as dead as you think
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 07:26:54 am »

lol yeah it's not that bad, though if you have a CPU whose single cores are let's say 4 times faster than that you wouldn't see the drop I guess? Maybe that's an issue you can't see if you have too few players (i.e. during testing) anyway, unless you test with bots? I don't know..

But yeah, kinda ruined the game for me, I had to quit playing, I vote that we have a 2.6.1 with the collisions rolled back (if that indeed is the problem, I don't suppose we can even profile a GameMaker game?).
I have a pretty shitty dual core pentium and I have no issues with FPS.
did you know that spinning stars work like this???

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. execute_strings on fire off the shoulder of Overmars. I watched object-beams glitter in the dark near the room_goto_fix. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 35 queries.