September 30, 2014, 08:49:12 am

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat with us online! (or at irc://irc.esper.net/#gg2)

Fight for Haxton Sale and Ray Bann in the Haxxy Awards and the Raybanns!

SFX Artists Needed!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Intel Guard reviews mods (Latest: OP Weapons Mod)  (Read 5214 times)

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • i'm tired
Re: Intel Guard reviews mods (Latest: Guest Review by May - Randomizer Mod)
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 05:24:41 pm »

That may just be one of the best scoring systems yet.

Anyway, if you guys disagree with May's well thought-out and touching review, don't worry. Randomizer gets a second chance post-update. I will be reviewing it then.
Omg, you look really good, you look like me, I'll pm you a photo these days.
"I'm still not good enough. I need to keep improving."♫♫♫

MAY HEGEHOG

• 2013 Haxxy Award Winner
  • en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=EURO%20FAGGOTS
Re: Intel Guard reviews mods (Latest: Halo Mod)
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 05:26:40 pm »

I give this mod 3 of the worst Final Fantasy Characters out of 10

>not characters from FFXIII

^^^ white mike tyson, gay dude cowboy version of aeris, tifa with smaller tits
rebel basically explained, but i put some ff13 characters for you
a sha'doe of meyeself, juss hoo am i?? skan horeyezens

u koodif leffed mi hear, seeld insyd te pod . no one wood everr no
te k-aws kuntroll.. my troo eyedenditty, te powerr that izz miii!!
we all danse in fiya!! trap in this masheen!! donnno how long we waytid, azz te egghed's washing!
we all danse in fiya!! luking thruw te skrean!! donnno how long we waytid, azz te egghed washes!!

Sir Z3r05t4r - Honorary Life Insurance

• Honorary Life Insurance
    • Gang Garrison Classic
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:32:03 pm by Lady Z3r05t4r - Honorary Life Insurance »
Honorary Life Insurance of
[SOS] ]LNWC[ [LORD] [VAL] ~{SCSCSC}~

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • i'm tired
Re: Intel Guard reviews mods (Latest: Guest Review by May - Randomizer Mod)
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 06:34:43 pm »

Hello again gang garrison 2 forums. Here is my review of Gang Garrison Classic by the GGC Team, headed up by Leiche and Zerostar. This mod is a standalone game with it's own set of classes and it's a real nice piece of work. The team put a lot of love into capturing the feel of Team Fortress Classic which I'm sure this is supposed to be the demake of. I think a lot of people had wanted this for a long time so it's cool it was finally done. On the flipside its hideously outdated and the team has sort of froze development sinces beta 6 came out. HOWEVER, Leiche and Zero have apparently been discussing revitalizing the project which would be cool. The possibility of having an active GGC and INSmod players side-by-side would sort of, SORT OF, give me hope that the modding community and the community at large is not dying. Sort of

Anyways this one probably has the sexiest menu screen yet. Even the credits page is intense. Visually the mod is pretty great. Captures that GG2 demake feel without feeling like a blatant mod of it. I really wish this was in active development because the potential it has is great. Can't stress that enough. Get off your asses development team!!! I know you have lives and everything but c'mon, the computer beckons to you. If I could, I would spend all my time coding mods of an open source freeware game. But thats me. I'm not sure about you guys

Anyways the gameplay is cool. Everyone has one weapon and then you can press F to "cook" a nade and then F again to throw it. For you plebians who don't know the term nade translates to grenade and its a sticky that doesn't stick, it sort of bounces around and explodes after it settles. That is one thing about the explosives in this game: they are really damn bouncy. You shoot one and suddenly its all the way down a flight of stairs. I think that would be a bummer in an actual match. Nades do give an offensive edge to a lot of the characters though, since in TFC many of them are gutted, and everyone lacks an m2.

Weaponwise the game is cool. TFC must've been really weird though cause it seems like Scout has a needler, I guess it's the nailgun idk, and Engineer's gun, oh man. Its reload time is forever, and you can't even see the damn bullet in the first map because the bullets are white. It's like a semen gun. That is cool and stupid at the same time. The turret sprite is pretty ugly but accurate to the ugly TFC turret. The major thing here was paying as accurate a homage as possible with Game Maker. You have things such as holding down m1 to charge with sniper, and runner not having double jump. These are cool gameplay changes and I could probably get used to them. I can imagine a competitive ggc match would be pretty funny. But then again it would probably be just nades everywhere. On the subject of nades, Spy's nade is pretty crazy. Try it out and you'll see.

This is a really cool mod, and there's custom maps for it which is a plus because nobody ever does custom maps for mods that change the class sprites or weapons and stuff and that is really fucking annoying sometimes because it just feels weird seeing such characters against the default maps of gg2. So I applaud the team on that. I applaud them on pretty much everything in this mod, except the not updating part.

Not much else to say here. Lots of potential in this mod. I am giving a 8~9/10 because it is good even by the standards set by KZ and Rebel's stuff, despite being pretty outdated. I am looking forward to the full game release becaus ethis is good enough to feel like complete game even though it's in beta. Good job GGC team

(click to show/hide)

Killah Zillah

• The modding dinosaur and
  • Veteran Beta Tester
  • Really long posts are my best friends!
Re: Intel Guard reviews mods
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2012, 06:43:32 pm »

Hello again gang garrison 2 forums, today I will be reviewing Halo Mod by Killah Zillah and Neu. You can find it here: http://www.ganggarrison.com/forums/index.php?topic=31436.0

KZ and Neu are this really legit modding team that make spritemods. Now you guys may be thinking, wow, spritemods, big fucking deal. And I would be inclined to agree with you, most spritemods suck. It was a big thing in 2009 to make spritemods here and I personally think it was the worst period for this section. Except maybe now, or when Vinmod made the first console idk lol. Anyways, the reason why Neu and KZ stand out is they put a lot of work into their stuff so it isn't shoddy lazy work. They're also apparently huge sci fi nerds because that's how they theme their mods. These guys even like star trek. I thought you needed to be 40 and fat to like star trek but I guess not. That's okay though because their love of sci fi and sci fi related video games have translated to the best vanilla spritemods probably ever created. Runner ups include Fat Garrison and Girl Garrison (both credit to OMFGninja aka A/D, RIP)

OH WOW! T-thank you!! This literally made me and Neu blush..!

The first one I dl is going to be Halo Mod. I was never a big Halo guy but I know enough about how it looks to judge whether or not you're getting the Halo experience from this mod. The first cool thing KZ and Neu do with their spritemods is pimp out the menu. They Halo-fied everything and made it look pretty cool. From there, you know to expect some pretty quality work. I always like when people take the time to do custom menus and stuff.

I started up my own server because right now it's currently not compatible with Vanilla. KZ and Neu should probably get on that soon, because afaik it's pretty easy and the mod will benefit from increased exposure cause of the mod lobby. When modders make cool mods thats fine and good but they HAVE to take the time to update them or they're just gonna die out immediatley following the new update to vanilla. Yeah, I know MedO and co take forever to implement shit but it eventually does happen. Gotta be on your toes for that. The gg2 dev team is weird and erratic is all I'm trying to say.

It's not compatable right now because I don't have a controller or a mouse. An update would have been released weeks and weeks ago, but I don't have a way to draw in any new sprites. It's really not our fault for being unable to update it at this time.. :z7:

Okay so it's a spritemod so no actual gameplay changes. Plays exactly the same as vanilla. Everything is dressed up to Halo though. KZ used these small hallo sprites that look okay but kinda cramped and it's hard to see the detail on them because of the small size of the gg2 hitboxes. That's one thing I did not like about this mod, because while the sprites are cool and I like them they are small and kind of ugly looking at times. I also think they clash too much with gg2 backgrounds which is just aesthetic nitpicking. The solution is to make some Halo Mod inspired maps with bgs that match the sprites. If there are then bingo perfect spritemod.

That might just be because you've got a huge monitor resolution, I have mine set on 800x600. I see itsy bitsy pixel sized details when I go full screen, but you probably don't.. that's not really something we can help! And some of the sprites were drawn by me, and others were taken from JordanLol's sprite sheet he gave me. I think they look fine, though my own super detailed sprites (like the bubble shield sprites and the sentry sprites) have been commented on to clash with the less detailed non-KZ spartan sprites. Can't fix that TOO much, but I said I'd try to make the clashing KZ sprites look less... good so they wouldn't clash with the spartans. That sounds like a sequel to 300.

The HUDs are really nice and a bunch of small things got changed such as the sounds and gibs and bullets. The effects are really nice and I like the small touches like the announcer from Halo 3 alerting you to when time is running out in ctf mode, and the new crosshair. I also think the turret sprite is pretty pimping but again the sprite is small and they way it looks kind of clashes with the other sprites, because I think KZ used sprites from various sources. Either that or my eyesight sucks. Damnit. One thing I don't like is that grey visor view on the screen that surrounds the HUDs. While they are really cool and all the grey border of the view is kind of visually distracting. If I were to be playing a match I think it would be pretty annoying. Maybe something to suggest would be an option to turn the grey stuff off, but I'm not sure how ugly that would look.

It actually would look really ugly to remove the visor, because the HUD sprites were designed to slot into those corners and some of the other sprites were made semi-transparent because they stood out just a little too much against the visor and looked weird. WIthout the visor there, they'd be hard to see for their semi-transparent nature. It's weird you should say that this isn't a good mod to use for serious games, because this is the ONLY version of GG2 that I use for clan wars and stuff! Since you're not a Halo fan, admittedly, you wouldn't appreciate having that detail, it's a detail the games have always had. That's not criticism against you, you said yourself that you don't play Halo!

Some other things, the sounds make you almost feel like you're playing a different game, especially in the case of the sniper. Very realistic feel. I like the weapon sprites too. The deto sticky explosion sprite is cool too but kinda clashes. Some funny Halo references throughout too! Overall the mod meshes pretty well together for all it's worth. I am not a huge Halo fan, remember, but this appeases me as a filthy causal. I think that is the mark of good spritemod. Also, I don't feel like I could get this cool spritemod feel with like, a Call of Duty mod. Halo just makes this pretty swaggalicious.

:smiley16:

Overall, some visual defects and the compatibility issue are the only real things that drag the mod down. I give it a solid 8/10 and that is pretty good since this is my uniform "all mods ranking" which means it ranks up high with good non-spritemods I will later review. This one is actually pretty cool and I like it. Good work to the team of Neu and Killah Zillah and I look forward to some cool future work from them. Maybe they could make a mod based on B.I.O. Freaks. Just kidding, I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. It would require looking up the source game.

(click to show/hide)

In other news, now that I have hit page 2 I can start putting links to the reviews up on the first page. Wow!!!

Thank you so much for reviewing this, I can't wait to see you review Sci-Fi mod!! However, I knew you would rate it lower since it's not compatable yet.. either way, I'm glad you like it for the parts you were able to see! Be sure to play the different game types on these two mods, for instance Sci-Fi mod has a really faithful TARDIS for the generator that opens up and displays a time vortex inside, complete with doors slamming and creaking shut sound effects! I'mma go read the Randomizer mod review nows.

notajf

Re: Intel Guard reviews mods (Latest: Randomizer Mod and GGC)
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 06:45:06 pm »

GGC, oh I remember that. Leiche hates me... I added the civilian class, and did it so badly I had to keep fixing it and then he finally properly fixed it.

I also was responsible for the hallucination grenade effect.

notajf

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 06:48:06 pm »

Thanks.

Here's my double header review to help build hype for my sexy, possibly pulitzer-prize winning review of INSmod: two dead new character mods by two dudes.

The first one is Sentry Mod by Andrew Faulds (a.k.a. AJF) (get it here: http://www.ganggarrison.com/forums/index.php?topic=30538.0) and it was made in 2011 apparently, but he should've released this on April 1st because I think that would've been great. Anyway this is supposed to be really funny nonetheless. You go and choose engineer and you think there are some cool updates to the sentry but surprise! You get to play as the sentry! Wow!!

It is really accurate to the actual sentry in that it has unlimited ammo, takes forever and a day to change direction and aim the other way, and it can't shoot upwards or downwards. AJF gave it fifty health but its still pretty broken, because it is a walking sentry. Someone should port this sentry to INSmod and give it 130 HP and then it would be a bonafide INSmod character. Haha

I give this mod 10/10 for accuracy but if we were rating how funny it was 5/10. As an actual mod to play 1/10
Oh. I never noticed you're reviewed this.
Thanks! Yeah, Sentry Mod was a joke. Although telling people the joke ruins it...

Try taunting, btw :D

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • i'm tired
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 06:52:42 pm »

AJF, I actually chuckled a bit at sentry mod. You should be in charge of next year's april fools mod.

KZ: No problem, I am a big fan of your mods. And yeah I understand the update part, it's all good.

notajf

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 06:55:46 pm »

AJF, I actually chuckled a bit at sentry mod. You should be in charge of next year's april fools mod.
Well, that was the intention, hehe! Yeah, that would have been a brilliant opportunity for april fools. The actual inspiration was a thread about letting sentries cap, and I thought I should make this... it's technically implementing the ideas of the thread, but not exactly how they thought. :hehe:

Killah Zillah

• Veteran Beta Tester
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 07:03:16 pm »

I disagree just a little bit about your top 3 worst characters. Clearly Squall needs a place. He's a whiney angsty crybaby fake loner ass biting little fairy that I despise with black hearted loathing passion and have zero tolerance or sympathy for. He whines about not wanting to be part of a team and whines about not wanting to fight and whines about wanting to go home... even though he joined the fuggin' ARMY which are all about group tactics, being dispatched to other places, and FIGHTING PEOPLE. HOWDOESTHATMAKESENSE!!! I couldn't finish 8 partly because of HIM. :z3:

Cool jacket though.

This is the same problem TF2 runs in with Randomizer mod, most weapons are completely useless while others are so overpowered that everyone uses them. I mean, one of their latest "weapons" was a backpack for the Sniper that replaces his SMG and makes it so that you're almost completely immobile when aiming. All it does is take out zoom-in aim wavering, that's all. You're left unable to defend yourself at mid-range without your SMG, and left being forced to unzoom to take cover from the enemy sniper, which just wastes time and gives them more than enough time for an instakill full charge body shot, or even a headshot if they're feeling fancy! :z8:

I_am_awesome

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 07:27:49 pm »

I disagree just a little bit about your top 3 worst characters. Clearly Squall needs a place. He's a whiney angsty crybaby fake loner ass biting little fairy that I despise with black hearted loathing passion and have zero tolerance or sympathy for. He whines about not wanting to be part of a team and whines about not wanting to fight and whines about wanting to go home... even though he joined the fuggin' ARMY which are all about group tactics, being dispatched to other places, and FIGHTING PEOPLE. HOWDOESTHATMAKESENSE!!! I couldn't finish 8 partly because of HIM. :z3:

Whatever

Killah Zillah

• Veteran Beta Tester
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 07:36:08 pm »

Whatever

I'm just too deep for this army, I don't need any of you, I've got my Linkin Park CD's.. (//_-;)

MAY HEGEHOG

• en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=EURO%20FAGGOTS
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2012, 07:47:19 pm »

Cool jacket though.

Hahaha it's just 3 of the many worst characters, not the top 3.
I'll take your Squall hatred for consideration, though.
a sha'doe of meyeself, juss hoo am i?? skan horeyezens

u koodif leffed mi hear, seeld insyd te pod . no one wood everr no
te k-aws kuntroll.. my troo eyedenditty, te powerr that izz miii!!
we all danse in fiya!! trap in this masheen!! donnno how long we waytid, azz te egghed's washing!
we all danse in fiya!! luking thruw te skrean!! donnno how long we waytid, azz te egghed washes!!

Killah Zillah

• Veteran Beta Tester
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 08:11:57 pm »

Hahaha it's just 3 of the many worst characters, not the top 3.
I'll take your Squall hatred for consideration, though.
OIC.

Also, something else I forgot, what did you think of that intro cutscene, Intel? Did the sound effects sync up well enough with it?

Intel Guard

• GG2 Commentator
  • Retired Goja Warrior
  • i'm tired
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 08:16:49 pm »

I really dug the intro cutscene, it gave me a taste of how much effort you'd be putting up to it. And everything sound-related in this mod is pretty much perfect.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 20 queries.