April 24, 2024, 10:51:04 pm

The Gang Garrison 2 Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Wondering where all the forums have gone?

Join the community Discord server!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Gang Garrison Dedicated Server (GGDS)  (Read 13663 times)

Flaw

Gang Garrison Dedicated Server (GGDS)
« on: July 23, 2011, 04:55:01 am »

GGDS is going to be a dedicated server software for GG2 servers with no graphical interface or local player. The entire application will be made in Python (python.org), using only (so far) default modules.

A Git repository is available at https://github.com/Flawium/GGDS.

Current server functionality includes a configuration file, the actual server socket listening, accepting connections, kicking clients, actually joining (not playing yet, though).

Flaw

Re: Gang Garrison Dedicated Server (GGDS)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 04:59:12 am »

In case you didn't know, Python is cross-platform. There's versions for Windows, Mac and GNU/*nix. Most Linux distributions even come with Python pre-loaded.

MTK5012

• 2011 Haxxy Finalist
  • if (ping <= 150) jaw.y += 100;
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 05:20:39 am »

both u and orpheon love Python...
got to check it out

notajf

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:25:40 pm »

GGDS is going to be a dedicated server software for GG2 servers with no graphical interface or local player. The entire application will be made in Python (python.org), using only (so far) default modules.

Current server functionality includes a configuration file, the actual server socket listening, accepting connections, kicking clients, actually joining (not playing yet, though).
Hi Flaw. I have also wanted to create a Python dedicated server for a long time. Since you seem to have got started already and at some level of usability, can I join and contribute to your project?

I would particularly like to transition to using Twisted. It is a much better choice for big networking projects like this than using sockets raw (I have learned this from experience...)

Also, I have some experience with networking projects (I have written a fully functioning Minecraft classic server, https://github.com/TazeTSchnitzel/SchnitzelCraft).

Thanks.

Flaw

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 03:22:04 am »

Hi Flaw. I have also wanted to create a Python dedicated server for a long time. Since you seem to have got started already and at some level of usability, can I join and contribute to your project?

I would particularly like to transition to using Twisted. It is a much better choice for big networking projects like this than using sockets raw (I have learned this from experience...)

Also, I have some experience with networking projects (I have written a fully functioning Minecraft classic server, https://github.com/TazeTSchnitzel/SchnitzelCraft).

Thanks.

Yes, do you have a Github account? (silly me) Then I'll add it to the list of contributors. Added.

Also, I've tried using Twisted for this a bit, but hit a rock because how asynchronous it is (you can't request data, only do stuff when you recieve data), and I'm not that familiar with buffers.

If you could help a bit with that, that would be great, too.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:24:24 am by Flaw »

notajf

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:33:28 am »

Ah, Twisted and buffers. What I did was something like this:

• Upon receiving data, add to the buffer
  • Parse the packets in the buffer by looking for the packet type, then seeing if there was enough space after it (complete or incomplete)
  • If packet is complete, send it to packet parsing function
  • Keep on doing this until no packets remain or one incomplete packet
  • This process is repeated each time data is received

You have to learn to live with asynchronousness really with networking. It's never a good idea to use blocking sockets.

dontcare4free

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:31:35 pm »

Thanks.
AFAIK Twisted is a pain to set up under 64-bit Windows, however.

NAGN

• Developer
  • Yeah so now I have an idea
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:00:54 pm »

I'll be anticipating once this gets released :woot:

Dronery

• 2012 Haxxy Award Winner
  • █Goodbye█
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:37:54 pm »

Wait, does this actually work?

ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กก็็็็็็็&ก็็็็็

dontcare4free

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 03:01:31 am »

Wait, does this actually work?
As he said, no, playing doesn't work yet.

notajf

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 09:18:22 am »

Thanks.
Provide some proof please. Surely it will work out of the box if this is py2exe packaged?

Disclaimer: Ubuntu 64-bit is my main OS atm

dontcare4free

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 05:51:52 pm »

Thanks.
Provide some proof please. Surely it will work out of the box if this is py2exe packaged?

I mean, installing it for development, with 64-bit Python.

Quote from: TwistedMatrix.com
Q: Why am I getting a "Python does not appear to be installed" error message on Windows?
A: Twisted requires a 32-bit version of Python for Windows. Using a 64-bit version of Python will result in this error message.

notajf

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 03:19:44 am »

Thanks.

Q: Why am I getting a "Python does not appear to be installed" error message on Windows?
A: Twisted requires a 32-bit version of Python for Windows. Using a 64-bit version of Python will result in this error message.

Erm, why does that even matter? You can't handle two installs of Python?

dontcare4free

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 05:11:50 am »

Thanks.

Erm, why does that even matter? You can't handle two installs of Python?
Not in the %PATH%, at once, no.

Orpheon

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 04:59:25 am »

An idea about collisions:

Using masks to check would probably be too slow, so I thought we could do it like this.

Map Wallmasks would be passed at compile time in a special script that checks each pixels and creates a rect there if it is black/opaque/whatever.

This also allows us to scale the maps, which is not easy to do otherwise. Now we just have to scale the surface before drawing.

The string of rects would then be saved and embedded into the .png or even kept as separate file.

It can then be loaded without much problems and without much lag, and suddenly you have rects to collide with instead of masks.
(which, if you only check the rects in the area around the Character, is much faster)

My problem is this:
Code: [Select]
import os
import glob

import pygame
from load_image import load_image

from pygame.locals import *

surface = pygame.Surface()

path = 'Maps/'
for infile in glob.glob( os.path.join(path, '*_wm.png') ):

image, rect = load_image(infile)

# Loop through all the pixels and create a rect per black pixel

for a in range(0, ???)
There is no built-in function of pygame.Image to determine it's size, so I either have to guess a very large number or get creative.
Ideas?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:02:06 am by Orpheon »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 78 queries.