Recently I've been making a mod for Doom called Doom Fortress; The intention is to replicate the gameplay of TF2 on the Doom engine while still keeping the original Doom look and feel.
* Sawed Off Shotgun: Fires up to four shots in quick succession, then reloads; Secondary fire fires a shot with lots of recoil, useful both for attacking and for added aerial maneuvering;
* Baseball Bat (has a secondary fire, too, but it's a work in progress)
* Rocket Launcher: Has a 4 rocket ammo clip. Use secondary fire to reload; if the the clip is empty, it reloads automatically
* Meat Grinder: A not-so-mini minigun. Use secondary fire to keep it spinning, so as to avoid having to wait for it to warmup.
* Flamethrower: Primary shoots flames; secondary blows enemies and shots away
* Flaregun: Fires a flare at the enemy
* Grenade Launcher: Throws bouncing grenades
* Sticky Bomb Launcher: Throws sticky bombs that can be remotely detonated with secondary fire
* Cursed Sword: Primary is a normal melee attack, secondary is a dash
* Sentry Remote: Builds/Dismantles an automated sentry gun. You can press 'use' near a sentry in order to upgrade it (if you have enough ammo).
* Dispenser Remote: Builds/Dismantles a dispenser (gives ammo/health to nearby players).
* Teleporter Entrance Remote: Builds a teleporter entrance.
* Teleporter Exit Remote: Builds a teleporter exit.
* Pipe Wrench: Besides working as a melee weapon, it can also repair buildables
* Sniper Railgun: Press secondary fire button to cycle between 3x zoom, 8x zoom and no zoom. When you're zoomed, the railgun's power slowly charges up; there's three strength levels for the shot: uncharged, 50% charged and 100% charged. Look at the secondary ammo to know how far it's charged. Note that firing while unzoomed always results in an uncharged shot.
* Crossbow: Fires electric bolts.
* Knife: Hit secondary fire to become invisible. The knife causes 666 points of damage when stabbing from the back (note that this only works against other players, for now).
* Plasma Bolter: The primary shot is very precise. Hit secondary fire to become invisible.
* Disguise Kit: Secondary changes current selection, primary disguises as that class.
* Sapper: when getting near a buildable with the knife selected, the Spy draws out the sapper; press fire to sabotage the buildable.
* Medigun: Shoot a player with primary fire to heal him/her. Healing players builds your ubercharge: when it reaches 100%, press secondary fire to make a player invencible.
* Nailgun: Fires lots of weak projectiles.
The game is available here
I need some opinions on how it's looking/playing so far and how it could be improved.
Obs: You'll need Skulltag
in order to run it.
Alternately, you can download the full package
, that includes Skulltag, Freedoom, some CTF maps, and the mod itself.
To list available servers, run Doomseeker.exe (type "Doom Fortress", without quotes, on the search box if you only want to see Doom Fortress servers).
If you downloaded the full package, you can run StartServer.bat to start your own server.
A video demonstrating some of the gameplay:
- Download Skulltag (A Client-Server Doom sourceport): http://www.skulltag.net/
- If you don't already own Doom, download Freedoom: http://www.nongnu.org/freedoom/
- Copy DOOM2.WAD, that comes with Freedoom (or with your copy of Doom2, if you have it) to Skulltag's main folder
- Now, you may download the mod from: http://www.haroldo-ok.com/doom-fortress-skulltag-mod
- To play the mod within Skulltag, simply click and drag the mod's .PK3 (which you downloaded at the previous step) file to the program's icon (Skulltag) or, if you prefer using the command line or a shortcut, the comand line would be Skulltag path-and-name-of-the-pk3
Some notes about the class selection: The single player mode class selection screen can only show the first 6 classes (this is a Skulltag limitation); in order to select all the classes, go to Multiplayer -> Player Options
; you will start with the new class when you die. Note also that Skulltag doesn't impose such a limitation when in multiplayer mode.